Can't find the coolant drain plug???

Old November 13th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dennis[_2_]

Default Can't find the coolant drain plug???

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Take the time to drain the block, more than likely you'll find it
> clogged with rust and acid sediment:
> http://jeephorizons.com/tech/radiatorflush.html
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> Dennis wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to all for your response.
>> Sounds like installing the flushing tee is the way to go. I had a rough
>> time
>> finding the Zerex G-05 antifreeze. First I went to Carquest and they
>> never
>> heard of it ,so then I went to Napa and they never heard of it, went to
>> Advance Auto and they don't carry it, and these are all vendors who are
>> supposed to have it. Don't have a Pep Boys in town
>> so my last chance was Auto Zone. They had it hidden away in a far corner
>> of
>> the store away from all the rest of the antifreeze?????????
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Dennis B

Thanks Mr. Hughes for your help, I appreciate you taking the time.
I agree that draining the block would be an important step but I can't find
the drain plug. I don't want to remove the exhaust manifold looking for it
because I'm not sure where the drain plug is. It's not where the service
manual says it's located or at least I can't see it.The illustration that
you point out is not the same configuration as what I have in my Wrangler.
The exhaust manifold is more massive and there are two exhaust pipes
attached to it. Also the coolant temperature sensor is located in the
thermostat housing not in the engine block. The jeep only has 60,000 miles
on it so I hope that there isn't much yuk in there at this point to hurt
anything. Since I'm changing from the original antifreeze to the G-05 I
will do a water hose flush to remove all of the old stuff and hope that will
be sufficient at least this time around. In the mean time I'll try to find
out if this engine has the drain plug, where it's located and if it can be
accessed with out doing a major tear down. I wonder why they didn't put the
plug on the right side of the engine? It would be much more accessible.
Thanks,
Dennis B

Old November 13th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Dennis,
That's why I included the link with Pictu
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/radiator/rad3.jpg
The right side of the engine is occupied by your camshaft and oil
galleys.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 13th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:
> Hi Dennis,
> That's why I included the link with Pictu
> http://jeephorizons.com/tech/radiator/rad3.jpg
> The right side of the engine is occupied by your camshaft and oil
> galleys.

Can't make it out from this but it looks like the bolt yours calls out.
http://www.revbeergoggles.com/temp/side-i6.jpg
They moved the temp sensor up to the waterpump output.
(stupid location because it will fail if the coolant gets low)

--
DougW

Old November 13th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

This may be his problem.... where's the plug?
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...0Drain%20Plug/

Old November 13th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

You're on the wrong end. The engine is always aimed for the rear
axle. therefo drain is always on the rear half of block. On yours it
looks like you would peek under the catalytic and us an socket extension
over it top. Look for a site hole though the fender well to drive from.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old November 13th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I don't understand why you are changing types of antifreeze. This is
not normally a good thing to do, 'especially' if you aren't going to
drain the block.

Be aware that the block and heater will hold close to 50% of the
system's volume with the water you use to flush it so when filling it
back up, you need to use at least 50% of the system's volume in 'pure'
antifreeze first, then top it up with distilled water. Normally it will
only take a quart or two once the 50% pure is in.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old November 13th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

If he used the flush-n-fill kit he bought the different coolants shouldn't
be a problem.

Someone a while back (Earle?) mentioned using an air compressor turned down
to 10-15 psi to blow the water out of the heater core. I've never tried
that and hesitate to use a compressor but perhaps a few puffs on the upper
heater hose would work to evacuate the water.

As Mike mentioned always use the coolant concentrate because there is always
a bit of residual water and you want to coolant concentration to be 50-60%
(Less than 44% offers almost no anti-corrosion or cavitation protection)
The minerals in tap water promote corrosion, use distilled water to top off
the system.

I took a look at my 4 liter last night, if the drain plug is where Bill says
then there is no way to easily access it if you are crawling underneath as
the exhaust system pre-cats block a large section of real estate.. I pulled
the lower radiator hose loose.

My system was full of slime as the original owner allowed her corner
quickie-lube to top it off with Prestone universal (she left the maintenance
receipts with the Jeep) and it turned the factory G-05 into reddish-brown
slime. I used the Zerex flush to clean the cooling system out and continued
using the flush-n-fill kit far longer than the directions indicate. I kept
cycling the flush and fills until the system ran completely clear and then
did it twice more after that..... just to make sure all the slime was
gone...

Old November 13th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Thomas Waldron

What did you do with all that waste fluid?

billy ray wrote:
> I took a look at my 4 liter last night, if the drain plug is where Bill says
> then there is no way to easily access it if you are crawling underneath as
> the exhaust system pre-cats block a large section of real estate.. I pulled
> the lower radiator hose loose.
>
> My system was full of slime as the original owner allowed her corner
> quickie-lube to top it off with Prestone universal (she left the maintenance
> receipts with the Jeep) and it turned the factory G-05 into reddish-brown
> slime. I used the Zerex flush to clean the cooling system out and continued
> using the flush-n-fill kit far longer than the directions indicate. I kept
> cycling the flush and fills until the system ran completely clear and then
> did it twice more after that..... just to make sure all the slime was
> gone...

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.
Old November 13th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

I collect the first drain which was the existing coolant into a bucket,
after that the dilute flush and rinse water went into the floor drain.

newsZ06h.3627$5P2.440@trnddc02...

Old November 13th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Thomas Waldron

I wonder if the quickie oil change places would take the waste....