Can't find the coolant drain plug???

Old November 14th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Will Honea

Default Can't find the coolant drain plug???

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:18:38 -0500, billy ray wrote:

> If he used the flush-n-fill kit he bought the different coolants shouldn't
> be a problem.
>
> Someone a while back (Earle?) mentioned using an air compressor turned down
> to 10-15 psi to blow the water out of the heater core. I've never tried
> that and hesitate to use a compressor but perhaps a few puffs on the upper
> heater hose would work to evacuate the water.
>
> As Mike mentioned always use the coolant concentrate because there is always
> a bit of residual water and you want to coolant concentration to be 50-60%
> (Less than 44% offers almost no anti-corrosion or cavitation protection)
> The minerals in tap water promote corrosion, use distilled water to top off
> the system.
>
> I took a look at my 4 liter last night, if the drain plug is where Bill says
> then there is no way to easily access it if you are crawling underneath as
> the exhaust system pre-cats block a large section of real estate.. I pulled
> the lower radiator hose loose.
>
> My system was full of slime as the original owner allowed her corner
> quickie-lube to top it off with Prestone universal (she left the maintenance
> receipts with the Jeep) and it turned the factory G-05 into reddish-brown
> slime. I used the Zerex flush to clean the cooling system out and continued
> using the flush-n-fill kit far longer than the directions indicate. I kept
> cycling the flush and fills until the system ran completely clear and then
> did it twice more after that..... just to make sure all the slime was
> gone...

Try using you wife's vacuum cleaner - most have a blower connection that
will put out more volume than you need but with little danger of excess
pressure. I use my shop vac, but that's usually because I get impatient
waitng for gravity to work. Duct tape makes a great universal coupler for
this.
Old November 14th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

You a Red Green fan?

news .. Duct tape makes a great universal coupler for

Old November 14th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_8_]

"billy ray" > wrote in message
> If he used the flush-n-fill kit he bought the different coolants shouldn't
> be a problem.
>
> Someone a while back (Earle?) mentioned using an air compressor turned
> down to 10-15 psi to blow the water out of the heater core. I've never

tried
> that and hesitate to use a compressor but perhaps a few puffs on the upper
> heater hose would work to evacuate the water.

If it won't take a puff or two from one of those parts cleaning nozzles,
without damage, you probably need a new heater core anyway. Don't make a
tight seal when you stick it into the heater hose, just enough to blow the
water out. You can also flush it with a garden hose and then pour distilled
water and then antifreeze into the upper heater hose. You want to get all
the tap water out, for sure.

For some good clean redneck fun, take one of those parts cleaner nozzles,
most of which have a one-eighth pipe fitting for the nozzle, and screw on a
good sized piece of fuel line instead. Use something about three-eighths
inch inside diameter, and make sure you have a good selection of ball
bearings that fit inside. Turn down the pressure on the regulator so the
ball bearings are propelled at less than lethal speed. Don't tell anyone I
told you about this trick.

Earle

Old November 14th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Grumman-581

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 19:04:39 -0500, Matt Macchiarolo wrote:
> Normally I just store it in clearly marked bottles away from the reach
> of children and wait for the yearly free township hazardous waste drop
> off day, when you can drop off your old paint cans, computer monitors,
> etc.

I just put a pan under my Jeep... The neighborhood cats will dispose of it
for me...