Hit The Brakes: State Governments Raise Traffic Fees.

Old March 23rd 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Hit The Brakes: State Governments Raise Traffic Fees.

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=286093

They are Laying it On!
cuhulin

Old March 23rd 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Those traffic cameras, like Jay Leno said, Why don't you just shoot them
out?

http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk
cuhulin

Old March 23rd 10, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul[_41_]

wrote:

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=286093

> They are Laying it On!
> cuhulin

Have to pay for all those attorneys somehow.
Old March 23rd 10, 01:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> Those traffic cameras, like Jay Leno said, Why don't you just shoot them
> out?
>
> http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk
> cuhulin

That would be a big mistake.

Old March 23rd 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

"hls" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
>> Those traffic cameras, like Jay Leno said, Why don't you just shoot them
>> out?
>>
>> http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk
>> cuhulin
>>

> That would be a big mistake.

Speed enforcement has little or nothing to do with "safety".

--
Tegger

Old March 23rd 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "hls" > wrote in

>> That would be a big mistake.
>>

> Speed enforcement has little or nothing to do with "safety".

> Tegger

Perhaps...knowing that you are being watched, can be identified, and
will be held to task for your misbehaviour will, I believe, cause people to
drive more responsibly.

The old saw "When the cat's away, the mice will play" is as true
now as ever.

Old March 24th 10, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

"hls" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> "hls" > wrote in

>>> That would be a big mistake.
>>>

>> Speed enforcement has little or nothing to do with "safety".

>> Tegger
>>

> Perhaps...knowing that you are being watched, can be identified, and
> will be held to task for your misbehaviour will, I believe, cause
> people to drive more responsibly.

Perhaps, except that your belief is not backed up by any sort of evidence.

Collisions, injuries, and death trends tend to follow the weather in the
short term, and the economy in the long term. When the cops report the
success of their latest "crackdown", they usually report the ostensible
effectiveness of their efforts without mentioning that the trend was
heading in that direction anyway. I've seen it where collisions, injuries,
and deaths INCREASED during a "crackdown". The cops are notably silent in
those cases.

> The old saw "When the cat's away, the mice will play" is as true
> now as ever.

Getting ticketed for a moving violation happens so infrequently that it's
about as close to winning a reverse-lottery as you can get. Most people are
not at all thinking about getting nabbed by the cops; they're just driving
according to road design and ambient conditions.

Most speed limits these days are too low for the design of the road. The
cops and prosecutors love this, as it ensures lots of tickets and
convictions; this is how their respective job performances are measured.

Traffic enforcement is more political and personal than anything else.
"Safety" has little or nothing to do with it.

--
Tegger

Old March 24th 10, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
chuckcar

"hls" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> "hls" > wrote in

>>> That would be a big mistake.
>>>

>> Speed enforcement has little or nothing to do with "safety".

>> Tegger
>>

> Perhaps...knowing that you are being watched, can be identified, and
> will be held to task for your misbehaviour will, I believe, cause
> people to drive more responsibly.
>
> The old saw "When the cat's away, the mice will play" is as true
> now as ever.

The one thing that decreases crime as well: knowing or thinking you will
be caught.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old March 26th 10, 12:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2010-03-23, hls > wrote:
> Perhaps...knowing that you are being watched, can be identified, and
> will be held to task for your misbehaviour will, I believe, cause people to
> drive more responsibly.

I think you're on to something. Perhaps we should permit government
to put cameras in our homes. This will certainly curtail a lot of
misbehavior that otherwise goes unreported.

> The old saw "When the cat's away, the mice will play" is as true
> now as ever.

Indeed. So you are saying that your vision of the ideal society is something
like this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5623984168940#

--
Roger Blake
(Change "invalid" to "com" for email. Google Groups killfiled due to spam.)