Nuclear batteries.

Old April 14th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Default Nuclear batteries.

chuckcar wrote:

> jim > wrote in
> :

> >> OK. When was the last new nuclear power plant opened? Part two:
> >> Relative to the date of the Three mile island mess, when was
> >> construction on that last plant started?
> >>
> >> There were some plants in the works at the time of Three Mile Island
> >> and some of them went on to completion, but there has been little to
> >> no new activity since then.

> > Three mile island had an effect, but not what you claimed and your
> > statement
> > that the US has no nuclear power is pretty far from reality. The US is
> > generating more electricity from nuclear reactors than any other
> > country.
> >

> Not per capita. Not even close. Any other measure of it is pointless and
> nothing more than misleading.

That's silly. Saying the US has no nuclear power is misleading. Saying
that the US produces the most nuclear power in the world is simply a
fact.

-jim
Old April 14th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
E. Meyer[_3_]

On 4/14/10 11:34 AM, in article ,
"jim" > wrote:

> "E. Meyer" wrote:
>

>>> There is no "reason the US doesn't have nuclear power". The US has
>>> nuclear power - more than any other country.
>>>

>> OK. When was the last new nuclear power plant opened? Part two: Relative
>> to the date of the Three mile island mess, when was construction on that
>> last plant started?
>>
>> There were some plants in the works at the time of Three Mile Island and
>> some of them went on to completion, but there has been little to no new
>> activity since then.

> Three mile island had an effect, but not what you claimed and your
> statement
> that the US has no nuclear power is pretty far from reality. The US is
> generating
> more electricity from nuclear reactors than any other country.

The attributions are getting messed up here. I was responding to chuckcar's
response to AZNomad where he stated:

-> AZ Nomad > wrote
-> Probably because nobody wants a power plant that is ten thousand
-> times more expensive per watt to operate than a standard atomic power
-> plant and can only supply enough power to a town of 100,000.

- No that's why the US doesn't *have* nuclear power now. No one wanted to
- pay for proper maintenance for even the cheapest reactors.
-
-
--
-(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Interesting how the original comments are carefully edited out. My
assertion was and is that chuckcar's original statement is false.

>>> The only way investment in nuclear power will resume is if the federal
>>> government guarantees the profits of the investors. After 3 mile island
>>> the government stopped doing that and investment in nuclear energy
>>> disappeared. If the law says that the plant owners pay for the clean up
>>> of the next 3 mile island then no money will be invested. if the law
>>> says taxpayers and rate payers pay for the clean up of the next 3 mile
>>> island lots of new plants will be built. The economics is that simple.
>>>

>> This I agree with. Economics, at least for this sort of thing, really is
>> that simple.

> That is right. Nuclear energy has and always will be government welfare
> program.
> If the taxpayers and rate payers assume all the financial risks then there is
> no
> problem getting plants built. Three mile island put an end to the government
> guaranteed financing. You want to bring the welfare back.
>
> If you want the government to get involved in energy management that does
> some
> real good then Tax the **** out of oil.
>
> -jim

I didn't say anything about bringing welfare back. I simply agreed with
your assessment of the economics.

Old April 14th 10, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

"E. Meyer" wrote:

> On 4/14/10 11:34 AM, in article ,

> >> OK. When was the last new nuclear power plant opened? Part two: Relative
> >> to the date of the Three mile island mess, when was construction on that
> >> last plant started?
> >>
> >> There were some plants in the works at the time of Three Mile Island and
> >> some of them went on to completion, but there has been little to no new
> >> activity since then.

> > Three mile island had an effect, but not what you claimed and your
> > statement
> > that the US has no nuclear power is pretty far from reality. The US is
> > generating
> > more electricity from nuclear reactors than any other country.
> >

> The attributions are getting messed up here. I was responding to chuckcar's
> response to AZNomad where he stated:

Ok, to be fair, everybody who said the US has no nuclear power was also incorrect..

> I didn't say anything about bringing welfare back. I simply agreed with
> your assessment of the economics.

My assessment of the economics was that the only way there ever will be new nuclear
power plants built is if Washington brings the government guarantees that got the
plants that are operating now built. There has never been a single nuclear power
plant built anywhere in the world where the investors are expected to take the
financial risk associated with a failure like 3 mile island. That is the simple
reason no plants have been built in the last 30 years and it is unlikely that there
ever will be any built until the government goes back to the system of picking up
the tab when something goes wrong.

-jim

Old April 14th 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:08:37 -0500, jim <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m> wrote:

>chuckcar wrote:
>>
>> jim > wrote in
>> :

>> > Three mile island had an effect, but not what you claimed and your
>> > statement
>> > that the US has no nuclear power is pretty far from reality. The US is
>> > generating more electricity from nuclear reactors than any other
>> > country.
>> >

>> Not per capita. Not even close. Any other measure of it is pointless and
>> nothing more than misleading.

> That's silly. Saying the US has no nuclear power is misleading. Saying
>that the US produces the most nuclear power in the world is simply a
>fact.

Also the most coal, most CO2, most religious fanatics,
most bat ****. Host idiots who can't tell a telephone from a
house cat. Who cares? Most isn't a useful statatistic
when you are making uneven comparisons.
Old April 15th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

AZ Nomad wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:08:37 -0500, jim <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m> wrote:
>
> >chuckcar wrote:
> >>
> >> jim > wrote in
> >> :

> >> Not per capita. Not even close. Any other measure of it is pointless and
> >> nothing more than misleading.

> > That's silly. Saying the US has no nuclear power is misleading. Saying
> >that the US produces the most nuclear power in the world is simply a
> >fact.

> Also the most coal, most CO2, most religious fanatics,
> most bat ****. Host idiots who can't tell a telephone from a
> house cat. Who cares? Most isn't a useful statatistic
> when you are making uneven comparisons.

So you have advanced to super silly.

Here is a test:

A) The US has no nuclear power.
B) The US has the most nuclear power.
C) Host idiots who can't tell a telephone from a house cat.

Which statement is False. Which is True? Which one is deranged
babbling?
Old April 15th 10, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
E. Meyer[_3_]

,

>>> Three mile island had an effect, but not what you claimed and your
>>> statement
>>> that the US has no nuclear power is pretty far from reality. The US is
>>> generating
>>> more electricity from nuclear reactors than any other country.
>>>

>> The attributions are getting messed up here. I was responding to chuckcar's
>> response to AZNomad where he stated:

> Ok, to be fair, everybody who said the US has no nuclear power was also
> incorrect..
>

>> I didn't say anything about bringing welfare back. I simply agreed with
>> your assessment of the economics.

> My assessment of the economics was that the only way there ever will be new
> nuclear
> power plants built is if Washington brings the government guarantees that got
> the
> plants that are operating now built. There has never been a single nuclear
> power
> plant built anywhere in the world where the investors are expected to take the
> financial risk associated with a failure like 3 mile island. That is the
> simple
> reason no plants have been built in the last 30 years and it is unlikely that
> there
> ever will be any built until the government goes back to the system of picking
> up
> the tab when something goes wrong.
>
> -jim

I think the case needs to be made that it is properly the government's
responsibility to maintain and regulate infrastructure, be it
transportation, power, water, communications, whatever. How it goes about
it, through outsourcing, tax incentives, immunity, public works, etc., is a
matter for the politicians and voters and whatever method is chosen does not
relieve it of the responsibility to make sure the necessary infrastructure
is in place and working. Not so much a case of welfare as it is a case of
government doing its job.

Old April 16th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Some of those off roader people, they install an air compressor under
the hood of their off road vehicles, for airing up
tires/whatever.Usually it is a belt driven air compressor via the
engine.
cuhulin

Gel car batteries observer Corvette 3 May 2nd 08 11:58 PM
Car Batteries. [email protected] Technology 0 March 19th 07 05:32 PM
North Korea vs Australia - nuclear stress Klarynxx General 0 October 14th 06 01:03 PM