Tire question

Old May 31st 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Tire question

> > the free rotation and balance,

When I had a big name shop do some brake work for me, I asked them
to rotate the tires. I am not on the highway much, so the shimmy
problem was sort of ignorable. Now I see that I've got tire damage.
So, this is, like, due to the tires not being balanced, right?

They were nice new tires when I bought the car a couple of years ago.
I suppose I don't have any griping rights with the brake shop, how
about the tire shop the previous owner got them from?

Nils K. Hammer
Old May 31st 09, 09:48 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

some of this may be due to tread wear, I know that the Impalas (FWD)
that I've had will feather the front tires even if you have the
alignment perfectly to spec, GM recommends rotation every 7K or
something like that (works out to every oil change) I bet as bad as they
feather if you did cross them you'd hear it.

Not sure why they feather so badly, only other vehicle I've had that
issue on is my old F-150 with the twin i-beam front end

nate

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care/tire-saving-tips/

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 31st 09, 10:01 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
T & K kloth

"Ray O" > wrote in message

> "Built_Well" > wrote in message
> anews.com...
> > Hi gang! Well, time to rotate tires and change oil again. My '06

Camry's

> > manual calls for simple front-to-rear tire rotation, keeping the tires

on

> > the * same side * of the car. However, my tires are not uni-directional
> >
> > tires (there is no arrow displayed on the sidewall), so I was wondering

if

> > it would be okay on the Camry LE to rotate its tires front to rear and
> >
> > criss-cross the rear tires to the front, so eventually every tire will

do

> > service at each of the 4 axles? This would seem to me to provide the

most

> > even wear on each of the 4 tires. Anything wrong with my plan? And why
> >
> > would the manual instruct owners to rotate tires as if the tires were
> >
> > uni-directional, even though the tires are not unidirectional? The
> >
> > manual's method keeps tires on the same side of the vehicle forever.
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance :-)

> Your plan is OK, however, consider who is more likely to know more about
> your car - the people who post here or the people who designed and made

your
> car :-)
> --
>
> Ray O
> (correct punctuation to reply)

I had the same question on my Avalon with Michelin tires. I emailed
Michelin. They said to (for front wheel drive car) move the front tires
straight back and to cross the rear tires to the opposite side front. They
also suggested a 6000-8000 mile rotation interval unless you see uneven
wear.

Tim K

Old May 31st 09, 10:02 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
T & K kloth

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "Built_Well" > wrote in message
> anews.com...
> > Hi gang! Well, time to rotate tires and change oil again. My '06

Camry's

> > manual calls for simple front-to-rear tire rotation, keeping the tires

on

> > the * same side * of the car. However, my tires are not uni-directional
> >
> > tires (there is no arrow displayed on the sidewall), so I was wondering

if

> > it would be okay on the Camry LE to rotate its tires front to rear and
> >
> > criss-cross the rear tires to the front, so eventually every tire will

do

> > service at each of the 4 axles? This would seem to me to provide the

most

> > even wear on each of the 4 tires. Anything wrong with my plan? And why
> >
> > would the manual instruct owners to rotate tires as if the tires were
> >
> > uni-directional, even though the tires are not unidirectional? The
> >
> > manual's method keeps tires on the same side of the vehicle forever.
> >
> > Thanks very much in advance :-)

> Radial tires do not like to change sides. Rotate front to rear, do not
> cross.

Sorry Jeff, your information is out of date.

Tim K

Old May 31st 09, 10:04 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
T & K kloth

"ron" > wrote in message
> as Ray & Jeff state "X" rotation went out years ago.

Ron,

Michelin is currently recommending an "X" rotation for their tires on new
cars.

Tim

Old June 1st 09, 12:37 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
HLS

"T & K kloth" > wrote in message

> I had the same question on my Avalon with Michelin tires. I emailed
> Michelin. They said to (for front wheel drive car) move the front tires
> straight back and to cross the rear tires to the opposite side front.
> They
> also suggested a 6000-8000 mile rotation interval unless you see uneven
> wear.
>
> Tim K

I also have an Avalon. Michelins, even with rotation, lasted less than 30K.
These tires dont have a long treadlife.

I just replaced them with Kumho Platinums, assymetric, with 60K treadlife.
So far, they are great.

Old June 1st 09, 01:47 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech

And does GoodYear. Conti and Perelli didn't list them.

The advantage at Costco is you also get free balancing. As the tires
lose material, the weight distribution may change. Hunter Wheel
Balancers can balance down to 0.5 gram!!!

Look at Hunters web page on what other causes of wheel vibrations:

http://www.hunter.com/PUB/product/ba...159T/index.htm

Solves Vibration Problems Balancers Can’t Fix
Detects non-balance, radial-force-related problems associated with:
* Tire uniformity.
* Tire and rim runout.
* Wheel-to-balancer mounting error.
* Improper bead seating of tire to rim.

Old June 1st 09, 01:55 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech

Only Michelin runs on the world's fastest production cars (>250MPH
Bugatti Veyron) and they came up with an aviation tire solution after
the Concord accident in Paris that every other company is now using.
(That Concord was using GoodYear).

Why would anyone want anything less than a Michelin??

"Almost a year since the supersonic Concorde's first-ever crash, the
Michelin
Group said 113 lives might have been spared had the delta-winged jet
been
outfitted with the kind of technology in new radial tires the company
has
developed. "

Full Article:
http://www.swampfox.ws/michelin-push...aircraft-tires

Old June 1st 09, 02:45 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

I agree that Michelin makes a good tire, and in fact I have a set on my
truck. They no longer make a tire in the factory size for my car
however (215/60VR15) apparently 60 series tires are no longer
performance tires! Which is a shame because I still have a pair of good
XGT V4s... only affordable option in that size/speed rating is
Yokohama, and that's a summer only tire.

nate

Old June 1st 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Comparing Aircraft tires to Auto tires is a whole nother story.Doesn't
wash with me.
cuhulin

Tire Question Robert11[_3_] Technology 44 December 15th 08 03:09 PM
clutch question, manual tire changer question Troy Jeep 13 August 26th 05 04:59 AM
tire question stevie Ford Explorer 3 May 20th 05 06:49 PM
v6 accord tire question, can I put 225R15 tire to my OEM wheel of 205/R15? [email protected] Honda 0 February 3rd 05 10:37 PM
Attn Tire experts. Tire valve stem question Jim Smith Saturn 1 June 17th 04 07:03 AM