change coolant in 2005 Lincoln Town Car

Old June 15th 09, 06:56 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech
The Derfer[_2_]

Default change coolant in 2005 Lincoln Town Car

2005 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited.

How do I release the old coolant? Where is the drain plug on the
bottom?
Do I have to take that irksome flap off first?
And where do I pour in the new coolant? Just in the overflow tank or
is there
someplace else? I don't see a round tank cap like on older cars.
Old June 15th 09, 04:44 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech
CEG

On Jun 15, 1:56*am, The Derfer > wrote:
> 2005 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited.
>
> How do I release the old coolant? *Where is the drain plug on the
> bottom?
> Do I have to take that irksome flap off first?
> And where do I pour in the new coolant? *Just in the overflow tank or
> is there
> someplace else? * I don't see a round tank cap like on older cars.

Here is how to fill it. I couldn't find anything to drain it. Maybe
remove the lower radiatior hose???

Filling & Bleeding

Remove the thermostat.

Disconnect the heater core coolant supply hose from the fitting at the
rear of the manifold.

Add the coolant/water mixture through the thermostat opening until
coolant appears at the heater core coolant supply outlet fitting at
the rear of the manifold.
Using an appropriately sized worm style clamp, install the heater
hose.

Install the thermostat.

Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the coolant reservoir until
the coolant level is between the coolant fill level marks and replace
the pressure cap.

Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed
settings.

Position the control to discharge air at the A/C vents in the
instrument panel.

Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature.

CAUTION
The engine coolant level is low in the engine and must be filled. If
the engine coolant temperature gauge does not move and the air
discharge remains cool. Stop the engine, allow it to cool and fill the
cooling system.

Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the coolant reservoir until
the coolant level is between the coolant fill level marks.
Repeat the 2 previous steps until the engine coolant mixture is
between the coolant fill level marks on the coolant reservoir. Turn
off the engine and allow it to cool.
Check the freeze protection of the engine coolant mixture with the
Battery/Antifreeze Tester 014-R1060 or equivalent. Adjust freezing
point range if necessary.
Old June 16th 09, 06:03 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:56:42 -0700 (PDT), The Derfer
> wrote:

>2005 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited.
>
>How do I release the old coolant? Where is the drain plug on the
>bottom?
>Do I have to take that irksome flap off first?
>And where do I pour in the new coolant? Just in the overflow tank or
>is there
>someplace else? I don't see a round tank cap like on older cars.

I think you have the 4.6L engine so It's probably like my mustang.
There should be a drain cock on the bottom of the radiator tank. If
you can't find that you can pull the lower radiator hose off the
radiator. To fill it you have to remove the thermostat housing and
thermostat. You pour the new coolant into the opening for the
thermostat, then put the thermostat back in and put the housing back
on. You may want to buy a new o-ring seal for the thermostat and
housing rather then reusing the old one.
Old June 18th 09, 09:52 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech
The Derfer[_2_]

It does have the 4.6 L motor.
Does anyone know for sure if I have to take the
thermostat off or if the tank feeds down to the radiator?

Old June 21st 09, 06:59 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech
jfran

On Jun 15, 1:56*am, The Derfer > wrote:
> 2005 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited.
>
> How do I release the old coolant? *Where is the drain plug on the
> bottom?
> Do I have to take that irksome flap off first?
> And where do I pour in the new coolant? *Just in the overflow tank or
> is there
> someplace else? * I don't see a round tank cap like on older cars.

You should not be working on the car.
Old June 21st 09, 08:09 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 10:59:42 -0700 (PDT), jfran
> wrote:

>On Jun 15, 1:56*am, The Derfer > wrote:
>> 2005 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited.
>>
>> How do I release the old coolant? *Where is the drain plug on the
>> bottom?
>> Do I have to take that irksome flap off first?
>> And where do I pour in the new coolant? *Just in the overflow tank or
>> is there
>> someplace else? * I don't see a round tank cap like on older cars.

>You should not be working on the car.

Why shouldn't they? How does one learn except by doing and asking for
help?
Old June 21st 09, 10:57 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message

> Why shouldn't they? How does one learn except by doing and asking for
> help?

Agree. This is not just a newsgroup for mechanics.. Hobbyists, curious
motorists, shadetree tinkers, and just plain old curmudgeons (yeah, like
me) have a place here. And the only way to learn is to get your hands
greasy.
Old June 22nd 09, 09:35 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.lincoln,rec.autos.tech
Steve R.[_3_]

"HLS" > wrote in message

> "Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
>>
>> Why shouldn't they? How does one learn except by doing and asking for
>> help?

> Agree. This is not just a newsgroup for mechanics.. Hobbyists, curious
> motorists, shadetree tinkers, and just plain old curmudgeons (yeah, like
> me) have a place here. And the only way to learn is to get your hands
> greasy.

He should get a service manual and read it though! Even the dreaded Haynes
manual will
answer these questions.

Steve R.