GTR: Two simple questions

Old March 24th 05, 06:52 PM
Marc Collins

Default GTR: Two simple questions

Now that I finally have it....

1) How do I get the virtual mirror and the "real" mirrors on at the same
time?

2) Why doesn't the button I map to clutch work on the track, yet it works on
the controller set-up screen? I am using absolutely no aids except auto
clutch. Of course, if I had an analogue clutch in my controller, I wouldn't
need to map a button, would I, so the answer better not be that auto clutch
cancels it out!

Thanks in advance for help!

Marc

Marc Collins

Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for the change
to take effect. Reboot now?

Old March 25th 05, 12:34 AM
Niles Anders

I might look to see if the Wingman Profilers current profile has a
mapping for the same button.

Old March 25th 05, 01:25 AM
Steve Smith

I posed the same Q to SimBin. Their answer: if yer using auto clutch
mapping it to a button does nothing. I cited several situations where
having a clutch *override* would be useful even if auto clutch is enabled
(like, for example, gettingthe car unstuck from a sand trap...the way you
can do it in Papy sims). They never responded to the suggestion.

.. .

Old March 26th 05, 10:56 PM
Marc Collins

You are of course right, Steve and I am glad you have already asked them
about this. There is also the occasional time when you just need to
disengage the drive to the wheels to help stabilize the car (anyone who has
driven a pre-stability control rear wheel drive street car in snow or on ice
will understand). I can't imagine this would be a big deal to patch in and
why would anyone not do this? The people who don't care or want it can just
not map their controller to the clutch?!?!?!?! But why annoy the rest of
us? And if necessary, make the controller set-up screen match reality--no
clutch in the game, no clutch response on the set-up screen.

It appears that NSR has the same "feature."

Any comments on the mirror thing?

Marc

. ..

Old March 27th 05, 04:24 PM
Steve Smith

I think (hope) they have bigger fish to fry...like fixing the
league/multiplayer issues.

(Of course, it didn't help that the example I cited for needing a clutch
override was getting high-sided @ Bergwerk - SimBin doesn't even have the
Ring in the game!)

I use the virtual mirror(s). No probs there.

Old March 27th 05, 07:08 PM
Marc Collins

Virtual mirror(s)? There is more than one?

Old March 28th 05, 02:34 PM
Steve Smith

No, I mean the single mirror in each car. The VMs seem much better placed
than the, um, "actual" mirrors, which seem to be in locations inaccessible
if I change my seat position (which I do a lot - one of the best features in
the game, IMO).

I notice w. amusement that some peeps want an even narrower FOV--to make the
track seem "bigger," I guess--whereas I find the default FOV is nowhere near
my flesh & blood FOV (approaching 180 deg.), something I find indispensible
for avoiding collsions w. every Tom, Dick and Henri on the race track.

Old March 28th 05, 05:23 PM
Tony Rickard

"Steve Smith" wrote:

> I notice w. amusement that some peeps want an even narrower FOV--to make
> the track seem "bigger," I guess--whereas I find the default FOV is
> nowhere near my flesh & blood FOV (approaching 180 deg.), something
> I find indispensible for avoiding collsions w. every Tom, Dick and
> Henri on the race track.

A personal preference thing I guess. I prefer the immersion of the track
looking vagely in the right proportion at the expense of peripheral vision.
Otherwise it looks like er a computer game not an effort of simulating
driving.

Personally I can comfortably run online GPL with a low FOV. If you really
need to see the other racers around you then you are better off roof riding,
otherwise you need to develop a feeling of situational awareness from the
closing speed in the mirrors. The best solution of all is a three screen
setup, which I have tried. This truly makes up for the lack of head turning
capability, which can't be created through a standard screen IMHO. A wide
FOV and a projector would be another alternative.

Cheers
Tony

Old March 28th 05, 08:41 PM
Steve Smith

Jeez, Tony, if yer gonna look for a h/w solution, a decent 5.1 sound setup
and an IR head tracker would be a LOT less 'spensive than 3 screens or a
projector. If I had that kinda moola, I think I'd be inclined to put out
for a shake & bake cockpit simulator, he

http://www.force-dynamics.com/index.shtml

Old March 28th 05, 09:07 PM
Tony Rickard

"Steve Smith" wrote:

> Jeez, Tony, if yer gonna look for a h/w solution, a decent 5.1 sound setup
> and an IR head tracker would be a LOT less 'spensive than 3 screens or a
> projector.

Steve, I can't seem to cope with look left and right buttons. I need
straight ahead of my head to be, well, straight ahead !

To be honest the 3 screen thing can pretty much be done with PCs destined
for the skip, for GPL at least. If you have gone through any kind of upgrade
path over the years the odd Voodoo or Rendition card are probably still
gathering dust and that is all you really need. The peripheral screens are
exactly that, the quality can be pretty low. Not sure what you would need
for GTR (even if it can be done).

It is a bit of a hassle though

Cheers
Tony