Tire rubbing problem

Old August 14th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nevada Larry

Default Tire rubbing problem

My front tires rub on the bottom portion of the fender when the wheels are
slightly turned. Otherwise, clearance is fine. Any suggestions as to how I
can roll the bottom edge of the fender about 1/2 an inch to avoid this
problem? It is a 66 Mustang coupe and the tires are 215 65 R15. The old
tires were 205 70 R14 which were about the same diameter, but the tire width
is what is causing the problem. They are .39 inch wider and .7 inch larger
diameter.

Old August 14th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
veegerNO [email protected]

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 19:16:33 -0700, "Nevada Larry"
> wrote:

>My front tires rub on the bottom portion of the fender when the wheels are
>slightly turned. Otherwise, clearance is fine. Any suggestions as to how I
>can roll the bottom edge of the fender about 1/2 an inch to avoid this
>problem? It is a 66 Mustang coupe and the tires are 215 65 R15. The old
>tires were 205 70 R14 which were about the same diameter, but the tire width
>is what is causing the problem. They are .39 inch wider and .7 inch larger
>diameter.

I moved up to 225/50Z16s in my 65 FB, and had the same problem
following a Cobra Drop/Negative Wedge kit. New front coil springs
cleared that up. Mine still had original springs which had weakened
through the years. (I need to replace the rear springs next to get rid
of the "heavy driver lean") Another consideration is if lowering
springs were combined with a Cobra Drop, which would increase the
amount of lowering. There is a 1 inch spring seat which would possibly
also solve the problem.
--

Spike
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;
Old August 16th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

lab~rat >:-) wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 19:16:33 -0700, "Nevada Larry"
> > puked:
>
> >My front tires rub on the bottom portion of the fender when the wheels are
> >slightly turned. Otherwise, clearance is fine. Any suggestions as to how I
> >can roll the bottom edge of the fender about 1/2 an inch to avoid this
> >problem? It is a 66 Mustang coupe and the tires are 215 65 R15. The old
> >tires were 205 70 R14 which were about the same diameter, but the tire width
> >is what is causing the problem. They are .39 inch wider and .7 inch larger
> >diameter.
> >

> There is definitely a tool for this, but I get ten thousand car
> catalogs in the mail, so I couldn't tell you where I saw it. Seems
> that it bolted in place of the tire when you used it.
> --
> lab~rat >:-)
> Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

I rolled my fenders in a 68 coupe with a small diameter steel rod or
pipe, cant remeber which, and a wood hammer. I just went slowly and was
careful not to crack the paint. I have heard of people grinding away
the lip too, but i suppose you have to be careful with heat and you
have to leave some lip as to maintain the rigity (is that a word?...)
rigid-ness of the fender. I have used a damp sponge and a ceramic tile
to control heat when welding thin metal, which may work to control heat
when grinding your fenders.

Old August 16th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael[_3_]

"Nevada Larry" > wrote in message
> My front tires rub on the bottom portion of the fender when the wheels are
> slightly turned. Otherwise, clearance is fine. Any suggestions as to how
> I can roll the bottom edge of the fender about 1/2 an inch to avoid this
> problem? It is a 66 Mustang coupe and the tires are 215 65 R15. The old
> tires were 205 70 R14 which were about the same diameter, but the tire
> width is what is causing the problem. They are .39 inch wider and .7 inch
> larger diameter.

You can roll the fender lip using a rubber mallet and something hard but
padded for support on the outside of the fender while pounding on the inside
fender lip.

mike

Old August 18th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nevada Larry

Thanks for the info. I only had to bend the bottom couple of inches of the
fender lip which I did with a padded dolly on the outside of the fender and
pounding with a ball peen hammer on the inside. This was enough to give me
a 1/2 inch of clearance and everything clears fine now.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/tools/fenderlip.jsp

Old August 21st 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
lab~rat >:-)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:26:23 -0700, "Nevada Larry"
> puked:

>Thanks for the info. I only had to bend the bottom couple of inches of the
>fender lip which I did with a padded dolly on the outside of the fender and
>pounding with a ball peen hammer on the inside. This was enough to give me
>a 1/2 inch of clearance and everything clears fine now.

I think I would only consider renting that tool...

>"lab~rat >:-)" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>I rolled my fenders in a 68 coupe with a small diameter steel rod or
>>>pipe, cant remeber which, and a wood hammer. I just went slowly and was
>>>careful not to crack the paint. I have heard of people grinding away
>>>the lip too, but i suppose you have to be careful with heat and you
>>>have to leave some lip as to maintain the rigity (is that a word?...)
>>>rigid-ness of the fender. I have used a damp sponge and a ceramic tile
>>>to control heat when welding thin metal, which may work to control heat
>>>when grinding your fenders.

>> Check this out:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/tools/fenderlip.jsp
>> --
>> lab~rat >:-)
>> Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

Michelins - still "great tires" (was: Tire Pressure) C. E. White Technology 18 October 11th 05 07:16 PM
Tire Rotation Billy Ray Jeep 68 September 9th 05 09:10 PM
Tire Pressure Monitor Luke Technology 58 September 2nd 05 06:47 AM
Problem starting car - No spark The Outlander Ford Mustang 11 July 20th 05 01:35 AM
2003 Accord Radio Display Problem Mike Honda 41 July 13th 05 04:32 PM