Time To Buy A Classic Pinto?

Old June 1st 11, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_2_]

Default Time To Buy A Classic Pinto?

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/31/136824...ver-ford-pinto

Patrick
Old June 1st 11, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 5/31/2011 20:51, NoOp wrote:
> http://www.npr.org/2011/05/31/136824...ver-ford-pinto
>
> Patrick

There's a yellow one around the corner form me. Want me to stop and
get a price for you??
Old June 1st 11, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_3_]

On Jun 1, 8:18*am, "WindsorFox<SS>" >
wrote:
> On 5/31/2011 20:51, NoOp wrote:

> >http://www.npr.org/2011/05/31/136824...collectors-key...

> * * There's a yellow one around the corner form me. Want me to stop and
> get a price for you??

Ummm... no. I don't have any nostalgia for a Pinto. Now a 340-
powered Dart/Demon, '76 step-side Dodge pickup, or a '68-'70 Super
Bee...

Patrick
Old June 1st 11, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake NoOp > :

>http://www.npr.org/2011/05/31/136824...ver-ford-pinto
>
>Patrick

And do what we did in the mid 70s, drop a 302 in to it. Of course,
this was in response to the guys who were putting 305s into their
Vegas. :-0

The only guy who could beat John's Pinto in stop light runs was doing
it on his RD 350.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

"You idiots, it's rape, pillage,THEN BURN!!!"
--- chief of the Aggie Vikings
Old June 1st 11, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_3_]

On Jun 1, 9:46*am, Dillon Pyron > wrote:
> Thus spake NoOp > :
>
> >http://www.npr.org/2011/05/31/136824...collectors-key...

> And do what we did in the mid 70s, drop a 302 in to it. *Of course,
> this was in response to the guys who were putting 305s into their
> Vegas. *:-0

I recall them dropping in 327s & 350s in the Vegas, not 305s. Didn't
the Chevy 305 come out in the 80s?

Patrick

Old June 2nd 11, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 07:33:26 -0700 (PDT), NoOp
> wrote:

>On Jun 1, 8:18*am, "WindsorFox<SS>" >
>wrote:
>> On 5/31/2011 20:51, NoOp wrote:

>> >http://www.npr.org/2011/05/31/136824...collectors-key...

>> * * There's a yellow one around the corner form me. Want me to stop and
>> get a price for you??

>Ummm... no. I don't have any nostalgia for a Pinto. Now a 340-
>powered Dart/Demon, '76 step-side Dodge pickup, or a '68-'70 Super
>Bee...
>
>Patrick

Or a Hemi Cuda?
Old June 2nd 11, 09:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
D E Willson

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 08:05:48 -0700 (PDT), NoOp
> wrote:

>On Jun 1, 9:46*am, Dillon Pyron > wrote:
>> Thus spake NoOp > :
>>
>> >http://www.npr.org/2011/05/31/136824...collectors-key...

>> And do what we did in the mid 70s, drop a 302 in to it. *Of course,
>> this was in response to the guys who were putting 305s into their
>> Vegas. *:-0

>I recall them dropping in 327s & 350s in the Vegas, not 305s. Didn't
>the Chevy 305 come out in the 80s?
>
>Patrick

My ex had a 72 Nova Hatchback with a 305. No idea if it was original
or not.

What was it? The Tiger that had the 289 dropped in in place of the
original 4 bangers?

The classics like Mustangs are so priced out of the average person's
wallet that even Mustang IIs are becoming collector cars. So why not a
Pinto?
Old June 3rd 11, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_5_]

"D E Willson" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 08:05:48 -0700 (PDT), NoOp
> > wrote:
>
>>On Jun 1, 9:46 am, Dillon Pyron > wrote:
>>> Thus spake NoOp > :

>>> And do what we did in the mid 70s, drop a 302 in to it. Of course,
>>> this was in response to the guys who were putting 305s into their
>>> Vegas. :-0

>>I recall them dropping in 327s & 350s in the Vegas, not 305s. Didn't
>>the Chevy 305 come out in the 80s?
>>
>>Patrick
>>

> My ex had a 72 Nova Hatchback with a 305. No idea if it was original
> or not.
>
> What was it? The Tiger that had the 289 dropped in in place of the
> original 4 bangers?
>
> The classics like Mustangs are so priced out of the average person's
> wallet that even Mustang IIs are becoming collector cars. So why not a
> Pinto?

My first car was a Pinto. That's why I've gone on to buy six Mustangs over
the years.

Two of those six Mustangs were Mustang IIs. Anybody want to try and convince
me that the II is a "collector car"?

dwight

Old June 3rd 11, 11:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
NoOp[_3_]

On Jun 2, 3:34*pm, D E Willson > wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 08:05:48 -0700 (PDT), NoOp

> >> And do what we did in the mid 70s, drop a 302 in to it. *Of course,
> >> this was in response to the guys who were putting 305s into their
> >> Vegas. *:-0

> >I recall them dropping in 327s & 350s in the Vegas, not 305s. Didn't
> >the Chevy 305 come out in the 80s?

> My ex had a 72 Nova Hatchback with a 305. No idea if it was original
> or not.

Here are the details of Chevy's 305.

The 305 5.0L variant of the small-block Chevrolet introduced in 1975
had a displacement of 305 cu in (5 L) with a 3.7350-inch (94.869 mm)
bore, and 3.4803-inch (88.4 mm) stroke. Many performance enthusiasts
shun the 305 because of the availability of 350 engine, along with the
fact that the same parts will yield much more power in a 350 cubic
inch package. Due to the popularity of the 350, items like rebuild
kits are more expensive for the 305. Still the 305 has considerable
power potential to the high selection of aftermarket parts that are
readily interchangeable with the popular 350. Not all cylinder heads
apply to this engine due to valves having bore interference or
shrouding issues with the narrow bore of the 305 engine, but there are
many LO3 setups that can produce over 300 horsepower from the right
combination.

Induction systems for the 305 included carburetors (both 2 and 4-
barrel), throttle-body injection (TBI), tuned-port fuel injection
(TPI), and sequential fuel injection (GM Vortec).

The 305 was used in the following cars:

1976–1992 Chevrolet Camaro
1980 Chevrolet Corvette (California only)
1977–1996 Chevrolet Caprice (includes Impala)
1977–1986 Pontiac Parisienne
1976–1979 Chevrolet Monza
1976–1979 Chevrolet Nova (also GM X-body clones after 1976)
1976–1988 Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet El Camino, and Chevrolet
Monte Carlo
1978–1992 Pontiac Firebird
1978–1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass (US Market only, Canadian market 1978–
1987)
1991–1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
1981–1987 Pontiac Grand Prix
1975–1979 Buick Skylark
1977–2003 Chevrolet/GMC Trucks, SUVs, Vans
1991–1992 Cadillac Brougham
1978–1987 Buick Regal

After 1996, its usage was limited to light trucks and SUVs until the
2000 model year (vans and commercial vehicles until 2003) as the
Vortec 5000. Currently still in production as a marine powerplant for
Mercury Marine.

> What was it? The Tiger that had the 289 dropped in in place of the
> original 4 bangers?

First it was the 260 and later the 289.

> The classics like Mustangs are so priced out of the average person's
> wallet that even Mustang IIs are becoming collector cars. So why not a
> Pinto?

That and many of the popular classic 60s/70s cars have been
overexposed -- at big car show you're just one of many if you have a
regular 442, GTO, Chevelle, Mustang, etc. But show up in a Pinto,
Gremlin, or old stationwagon and you will get noticed.

Patrick
Old June 3rd 11, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_5_]

On 6/2/2011 18:46, dwight wrote:

> "D E Willson" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 08:05:48 -0700 (PDT), NoOp
>> > wrote:

>>> I recall them dropping in 327s & 350s in the Vegas, not 305s. Didn't
>>> the Chevy 305 come out in the 80s?
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>>

>> My ex had a 72 Nova Hatchback with a 305. No idea if it was original
>> or not.
>>
>> What was it? The Tiger that had the 289 dropped in in place of the
>> original 4 bangers?
>>
>> The classics like Mustangs are so priced out of the average person's
>> wallet that even Mustang IIs are becoming collector cars. So why not a
>> Pinto?

> My first car was a Pinto. That's why I've gone on to buy six Mustangs
> over the years.
>
> Two of those six Mustangs were Mustang IIs. Anybody want to try and
> convince me that the II is a "collector car"?
>
> dwight

Dunno, this looks collectible to me...
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-19...King-Cobra.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/626oyf

Time to Buy That SUV! Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS[_1_] Driving 21 September 26th 06 01:38 AM
Time to Buy That SUV! jcr Driving 0 September 23rd 06 11:46 PM
Time to Buy That SUV! Stoneman Driving 0 September 22nd 06 12:49 AM
Time to Buy That SUV! Eeyore[_1_] Driving 0 September 20th 06 07:25 AM
Best Time to Buy a Corvette - NOW HugYourPug Corvette 22 November 12th 04 08:53 PM