E34 a/c and fan control module/panel

Old June 12th 09, 01:03 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
major_A@thefire

Default E34 a/c and fan control module/panel

I have a '95 e34 with 144k that has an intermittent problem (50-50) with the fan
control panel completely losing power...it may last from 5 minutes to 5 hours.
I replaced the black plastic unit with another used part and the problem
returned immediately. Any thoughts?
Old June 15th 09, 03:42 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
<major_A@thefire> wrote:
>I have a '95 e34 with 144k that has an intermittent problem (50-50) with the fan
>control panel completely losing power...it may last from 5 minutes to 5 hours.
>I replaced the black plastic unit with another used part and the problem
>returned immediately. Any thoughts?

Start working your way up the chain. Wiggle all the connectors.... get the
wiring diagram and clean and check everything from the panel up to the
battery, and that includes pulling all the connectors apart and cleaning
them with DeOxit or something similar. Leave the panel out for a while,
keep a test lamp in the car, and when it happens pull over, get out the lamp
and trace up each one of the points where there should be power until you
find the guilty party.

Also replace the fuse beforehand... and check for fuse panel corrosion.
--scott
Old June 16th 09, 11:49 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
major_A@thefire

Default E34 a/c and fan control module/panel - thanks Kludge

I have also heared that the module can be remanufactured for $487. Over many miles
the solder can lose its grip and the capacitors just lose strength

Old June 16th 09, 02:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

<major_A@thefire> wrote:
>I have also heared that the module can be remanufactured for $487. Over many miles
>the solder can lose its grip and the capacitors just lose strength

$487 to touch up a few cold solder joints? Sheesh....take it to your local
TV repair and have them resolder it. If the caps are bad, you want to
replace them with high temperature 105'C ones, which are not exotic or hard
to find.
--scott

Big problems locating replacement "Fan Control Module" (cooling fan module/variable speed) for 96 Escort LX 1.9L [email protected] Technology 20 July 11th 07 10:26 PM
transmission control module DAM Technology 3 November 6th 06 05:51 PM
Changing AC control module ramjet44 Audi 1 October 10th 06 11:03 PM
Body Control Module Catman Jeep 3 September 27th 06 11:23 PM
Where is Tran Control Module, Airbag module (2001 Ram) ???? MoPar Man Dodge 8 August 6th 06 11:21 PM