Strange Clarion radio behavior '98 Jetta

Old September 5th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Default Strange Clarion radio behavior '98 Jetta

I just looked at a radio all already to re-enter code. The vehicle was lent
out and when returned the radio came back with 1000 on the display. If you
power it off and back on, it displays SAFE for a moment and then goes right
to 1000 without user intervention.

Could someone have pressed those two buttons and held them until the working
radio went to SAFE mode and then to enter code mode?
Any other reasons this could have happened?

This is a first for me.
I have the owner trying to contact the dealer, or previous owner, for the
code since she recently purchased this car earlier this year and I could not
find the code in usual places like on the radio. No she does not have the
original owner's manual.

TIA
--
later,
dave

Old September 9th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck[_2_]

causes, dead battery, radio power removed, or faulty radio-but unlikely.
Need the code... e-mail me, but it's not free.

Old September 9th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks,
Owner called up the dealer and was given her code over the phone. She must
have used her very pleasant voice! lol
I reentered it, pressed the > button for 2-3 seconds and all is well.

What is strange is that the Clarion radio would power on flash SAFE and then
go to 1000 without user intervention.
I am used to the radios that just display SAFE until you hit 2 buttons to be
able to enter the code.
Maybe it is a Clarion feature.

thanks Woodchuck, I will keep your offer in my files. ;-)
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)