Sticky Shifting

Old September 13th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ears

Default Sticky Shifting

I've been having trouble shifting my 5-sp. 1990 Golf lately. It just
feels sticky, like the shift lever doesn't want to go into gear. I
notice it most right off the freeway, when I'm back in town and
shifting more. Would a trans. fluid change take care of this?

Old September 13th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

You might need some new linkage pieces.
Try some lubricant on the linkages and see if that helps!
--
later,
dave

ups.com...

Old September 13th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Ears" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've been having trouble shifting my 5-sp. 1990 Golf lately. It just
> feels sticky, like the shift lever doesn't want to go into gear. I
> notice it most right off the freeway, when I'm back in town and
> shifting more. Would a trans. fluid change take care of this?

Probably not. Gear oil changes usually only make sense when the car is cold
and has been sitting outside in very cool fall/winter weather
overnight...cold temperatures often cause "summer-weight" gear oil to be too
thick and hard to shift until the car warms up. Gear oil otherwise isn't an
obstacle, especially in summer on a car that already has been driven at
operating temperature..

You probably instead need to look into one of the various shifter rebuild
kits (sounds awful but it isn't). It's a collection of the assorted little
nylon, plastic, and bushings that are found in the shift linkage system.
When done, a shifter alignment also may be in order as well. If you're
reasonably handy with tools and not afraid of attempting a DIY repair, you
should be able to do all this in an hour or two yourself. If you have a
shop do it, make sure it's a shop that specifically knows VWs of that
vintage and the idea of a shifter rebuild kit and shifter alignment will be
a no-brainer for them to get right. The parts are usually available online
for under $100 too.

Old September 13th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote in message
t...
> You might need some new linkage pieces.
> Try some lubricant on the linkages and see if that helps!

yes that's another good idea. I've had good luck with just a little basic
white grease that I dab on with my finger (WD40, etc. will work but will dry
out too fast long-term).

Old September 14th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Ears

Old September 16th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Joseph Meehan" > wrote in message
> Just to make sure, do you have a manual or automatic transmission?
>> I've been having trouble shifting my 5-sp. 1990 Golf lately.

Has to be a manual. VW automatics were 3-speeds on the 1990 Golf.

Sticky ECU Code 14 sharx333 Honda 14 January 2nd 07 03:16 PM
sticky left/right shifting - 1999 SL1 [email protected] Saturn 1 January 1st 07 08:23 PM
[OT] sticky rice DougW Jeep 15 December 20th 06 11:25 PM
Sticky Power WIndow [email protected] Technology 5 January 24th 05 06:17 PM
156 Gearbox "Sticky" Graeme Cosgrove Alfa Romeo 1 August 30th 04 08:19 AM