fuel filler enigma

Old May 8th 09, 02:53 AM posted to sci.econ,rec.puzzles,rec.org.mensa,rec.autos.driving
RichD

Default fuel filler enigma

Why is it, some cars (half?) have the fuel filler
intake on the left side, while others on the right?

--
Rich
Old May 8th 09, 02:56 AM posted to sci.econ,rec.puzzles,rec.org.mensa,rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

RichD wrote:
> Why is it, some cars (half?) have the fuel filler
> intake on the left side, while others on the right?
>
> --
> Rich

Just to screw with you.

A rule of thumb that seems pretty accurate - American cars almost always
have the filler on the left; German cars on the right. This has been
true for every vehicle I have ever owned or driven. (I've never had a
Japanese car, so I don't know where they fall.) This is somewhat
frustrating as my company car is a Chevy and my personal car is an old
Porsche, so I do have to stop and think sometimes. Some mfgrs. have
taken to putting a little arrow on the gas gauge to show you where the
fuel filler is, but this is by no means universal. (I wonder if people
think that that gives the car a "rental car" aura, because wouldn't that
be the kind of car in which it would be most useful?)

I ASSume it has something to do with the way that gas stations are
typically laid out in different countries, but that part is just a
WAG... never having been to Germany I couldn't say what those
differences may be.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 8th 09, 03:06 AM posted to sci.econ,rec.puzzles,rec.org.mensa,rec.autos.driving
MLOM

On May 7, 8:56*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> RichD wrote:
> > Why is it, some cars (half?) have the fuel filler
> > intake on the left side, while others on the right?

> > --
> > Rich

> Just to screw with you.

Exactly. Can't be asleep at the wheel when it's refill time.

> A rule of thumb that seems pretty accurate - American cars almost always
> have the filler on the left; German cars on the right. *This has been
> true for every vehicle I have ever owned or driven. *(I've never had a
> Japanese car, so I don't know where they fall.) *This is somewhat
> frustrating as my company car is a Chevy and my personal car is an old
> Porsche, so I do have to stop and think sometimes. *Some mfgrs. have
> taken to putting a little arrow on the gas gauge to show you where the
> fuel filler is, but this is by no means universal. *(I wonder if people
> think that that gives the car a "rental car" aura, because wouldn't that
> be the kind of car in which it would be most useful?)
>
> I ASSume it has something to do with the way that gas stations are
> typically laid out in different countries, but that part is just a
> WAG... *never having been to Germany I couldn't say what those
> differences may be.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Just go for some of the older cars (70s/80s time frame): fuel filler
just below the trunk lid, with a hinged cover that doubles as a
license plate bracket. Pull up to the pump and really jack with the
other drivers at the c-store.
Old May 8th 09, 03:11 AM posted to sci.econ,rec.puzzles,rec.org.mensa,rec.autos.driving
Eric Sosman

RichD wrote:
> Why is it, some cars (half?) have the fuel filler
> intake on the left side, while others on the right?

Because putting it on the bottom didn't work too well?

--
Eric Sosman
lid
Old May 8th 09, 03:14 AM posted to sci.econ,rec.puzzles,rec.org.mensa,rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

MLOM wrote:
> On May 7, 8:56 pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>> RichD wrote:
>>> Why is it, some cars (half?) have the fuel filler
>>> intake on the left side, while others on the right?
>>> --
>>> Rich

>> Just to screw with you.
>>

> Exactly. Can't be asleep at the wheel when it's refill time.
>
>> A rule of thumb that seems pretty accurate - American cars almost always
>> have the filler on the left; German cars on the right. This has been
>> true for every vehicle I have ever owned or driven. (I've never had a
>> Japanese car, so I don't know where they fall.) This is somewhat
>> frustrating as my company car is a Chevy and my personal car is an old
>> Porsche, so I do have to stop and think sometimes. Some mfgrs. have
>> taken to putting a little arrow on the gas gauge to show you where the
>> fuel filler is, but this is by no means universal. (I wonder if people
>> think that that gives the car a "rental car" aura, because wouldn't that
>> be the kind of car in which it would be most useful?)
>>
>> I ASSume it has something to do with the way that gas stations are
>> typically laid out in different countries, but that part is just a
>> WAG... never having been to Germany I couldn't say what those
>> differences may be.
>>
>> nate
>>
>> --
>> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

> Just go for some of the older cars (70s/80s time frame): fuel filler
> just below the trunk lid, with a hinged cover that doubles as a
> license plate bracket. Pull up to the pump and really jack with the
> other drivers at the c-store.

they still had those in the 80's? Last car I remember like that was my
dad's '67 Cutlass (RIP)

HOWEVER...

I just remembered an exception. My dad's '73 Chubby pickemup truck has
the filler on the passenger side. Also, it was an early '73 that used a
'72 filler neck (discovered when the original gas cap was lost,) so I
ASSume that this is the location for the filler neck for all Chevy/GMC
pickups from '67 to '87 at least.

That does seem very unusual for an American vehicle though...

nate

Old May 8th 09, 03:38 AM posted to sci.econ,rec.puzzles,rec.org.mensa,rec.autos.driving
The Mad Ape

RichD wrote:
> Why is it, some cars (half?) have the fuel filler
> intake on the left side, while others on the right?
>
> --
> Rich

Are yah a tad bored?

TMA
Old May 8th 09, 03:44 AM posted to sci.econ,rec.puzzles,rec.org.mensa,rec.autos.driving
Brent[_4_]

On 2009-05-08, Nate Nagel > wrote:

> I just remembered an exception. My dad's '73 Chubby pickemup truck has
> the filler on the passenger side. Also, it was an early '73 that used a
> '72 filler neck (discovered when the original gas cap was lost,) so I
> ASSume that this is the location for the filler neck for all Chevy/GMC
> pickups from '67 to '87 at least.

> That does seem very unusual for an American vehicle though...

Many a ford has the fuel filler on the passenger side including SN95
mustangs.

The rear center filler just doesn't work with modern crash test regs but
really does solve remembering which side to have at the pump.

Old May 8th 09, 03:57 AM posted to sci.econ,rec.puzzles,rec.org.mensa,rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Brent wrote:
> On 2009-05-08, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>
>> I just remembered an exception. My dad's '73 Chubby pickemup truck has
>> the filler on the passenger side. Also, it was an early '73 that used a
>> '72 filler neck (discovered when the original gas cap was lost,) so I
>> ASSume that this is the location for the filler neck for all Chevy/GMC
>> pickups from '67 to '87 at least.

>> That does seem very unusual for an American vehicle though...

> Many a ford has the fuel filler on the passenger side including SN95
> mustangs.
>
> The rear center filler just doesn't work with modern crash test regs but
> really does solve remembering which side to have at the pump.

Friends don't let friends drive Fords

but my F-150 has TWO, count 'em, fuel fillers on the driver's side.
(and still only 30-something gallons of fuel capacity... was it really
necessary to have dual tanks and all the associated monkey motion that
goes along with it for that little capacity?)

nate

Old May 8th 09, 04:25 AM posted to sci.econ,rec.puzzles,rec.org.mensa,rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_5_]

Nate Nagel wrote:

> RichD wrote:
>> Why is it, some cars (half?) have the fuel filler
>> intake on the left side, while others on the right?

> Just to screw with you.
>
> A rule of thumb that seems pretty accurate - American cars almost always
> have the filler on the left; German cars on the right.

This works well at Costco. People line up on the right side of the pumps,
frequently leaving the left side open. Costco's hoses are easily 4 feet longer
than necessary to reach the far side of the car; moreover, there's always
enough space between the lines to pass the guy at the rear pump and use the
front pump. I wish Costco were closer than 10 miles away :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old May 8th 09, 05:08 AM posted to sci.econ,rec.puzzles,rec.org.mensa,rec.autos.driving
Rod Speed[_1_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Brent wrote:
>> On 2009-05-08, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>>
>>> I just remembered an exception. My dad's '73 Chubby pickemup truck
>>> has the filler on the passenger side. Also, it was an early '73
>>> that used a '72 filler neck (discovered when the original gas cap
>>> was lost,) so I ASSume that this is the location for the filler
>>> neck for all Chevy/GMC pickups from '67 to '87 at least.

>>> That does seem very unusual for an American vehicle though...

>> Many a ford has the fuel filler on the passenger side including SN95
>> mustangs.
>>
>> The rear center filler just doesn't work with modern crash test regs
>> but really does solve remembering which side to have at the pump.
>>

> Friends don't let friends drive Fords
>
> but my F-150 has TWO, count 'em, fuel fillers on the driver's side.
> (and still only 30-something gallons of fuel capacity... was it really
> necessary to have dual tanks and all the associated monkey motion that
> goes along with it for that little capacity?)

Presumably it was done that way because there wasnt room for one tank of that size.