146 engine problem

Old October 18th 04, 03:39 PM
News Groups

Default 146 engine problem

i have the 146 ti (99), an sometimes when going at slow spped, about 30mph
the engine starts to die on me, even if i put it in neutral and floor the
accelerator the engine doesnt rev, but just splutters and eventually stalls,
i have recently had a service too, i had the cam belts done an new spark
plugs, but i did have the problem before the service, has anyone else had
this problem and if so did they cure it?

Old October 18th 04, 08:03 PM
Catman

News Groups wrote:

> i have the 146 ti (99), an sometimes when going at slow spped, about 30mph
> the engine starts to die on me, even if i put it in neutral and floor the
> accelerator the engine doesnt rev, but just splutters and eventually
> stalls, i have recently had a service too, i had the cam belts done an new
> spark plugs, but i did have the problem before the service, has anyone
> else had this problem and if so did they cure it?

Sounds to me like a fuel issue. Either the fuel pump is failing ro some
electrical bit is switching it off.

Goona be a paint to sort though IME. Does it start immediately after it's
died?
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old October 19th 04, 11:04 AM
Dr Entropy

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:03:36 GMT, Catman > pee'd inna snow, the
following:

X:News Groups wrote:
X:
X:> i have the 146 ti (99), an sometimes when going at slow spped, about 30mph
X:> the engine starts to die on me, even if i put it in neutral and floor the
X:> accelerator the engine doesnt rev, but just splutters and eventually
X:> stalls, i have recently had a service too, i had the cam belts done an new
X:> spark plugs, but i did have the problem before the service, has anyone
X:> else had this problem and if so did they cure it?
X:
X:Sounds to me like a fuel issue. Either the fuel pump is failing ro some
X:electrical bit is switching it off.
X:
X:Goona be a paint to sort though IME. Does it start immediately after it's
X:died?

Fuel delivery issue IMHO as well. To most easily determine if it is an electrical "widget"
switching off the pump, connect a 12V light to the pump terminals with enough wire to go to the cab
where the driver can see it. Drive the car 'till it does the "bad thing" and see if the light is on
or off as it is 'stumbling' (before it completely "dies"). If it stays on, the pump is the likely
culprit. To check the pump before replacing it, you'd need a way to rig up a delivery pressure
guage visible at the driver's position... risky unless you've got the right kit and skills to rig
it. This operation is better left to the pro's.

"How to Make an Alfa Bark Like a Dog:"---- Introduce a fuel leak in the engine bay, key the
starter, and: "WOOF!!"

Not a recommended proceedure, even with a Halon system fitted.

Dr E--
mhm 17x1

Linux: Load it, Learn it, Love it.
Old October 19th 04, 12:44 PM
News Groups

further to the problem, yes it does start straight away after stalling, then
it seems to be fine

Old October 19th 04, 03:13 PM
Catman

Dr Entropy wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:03:36 GMT, Catman >
> pee'd inna snow, the following:
>
> X:News Groups wrote:
> X:
> X:> i have the 146 ti (99), an sometimes when going at slow spped, about
> 30mph X:> the engine starts to die on me, even if i put it in neutral and
> floor the X:> accelerator the engine doesnt rev, but just splutters and
> eventually X:> stalls, i have recently had a service too, i had the cam
> belts done an new X:> spark plugs, but i did have the problem before the
> service, has anyone X:> else had this problem and if so did they cure it?
> X:
> X:Sounds to me like a fuel issue. Either the fuel pump is failing ro some
> X:electrical bit is switching it off.
> X:
> X:Goona be a paint to sort though IME. Does it start immediately after
> it's X:died?
>
> Fuel delivery issue IMHO as well. To most easily determine if it is an
> electrical "widget" switching off the pump, connect a 12V light to the
> pump terminals with enough wire to go to the cab where the driver can see
> it. Drive the car 'till it does the "bad thing" and see if the light is on
> or off as it is 'stumbling' (before it completely "dies"). If it stays on,
> the pump is the likely culprit. To check the pump before replacing it,
> you'd need a way to rig up a delivery pressure guage visible at the
> driver's position... risky unless you've got the right kit and skills to
> rig it. This operation is better left to the pro's.

That would be a rather neat way of diagnosing it. Certainly beats me
jumping out of the car , whipping the bonnet up and checking the state of
the topless relay.....

Old October 19th 04, 03:15 PM
Catman

News Groups wrote:

> further to the problem, yes it does start straight away after stalling,
> then it seems to be fine

Exactly what my 75 did. It got worse and worse until it stopped.