147 T-Spark Service problem

Old October 28th 04, 09:29 PM
redTed

> I'm pretty sure I've read in this group that a variator costs about 75 UKP
> plus a small amount of additional labour if you're already having the
> timing
> belt, tensioner and pulley done. BTW, make sure you get all these bits
> done,
> as it's often the latter components that fail and take out the belt.
>
> Lots of stuff about variators on google groups:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?L138264A9
>
> I would guess a total bill of 7-800 UKP would be expected from a main
> dealer
> for this work plus a major service.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet this time. I'm still ****ed that this
part has apparently failed when the newer versions, post 2000, were meant to
be ok.

Thanks guys. I'll post back after the collecting the car tomorrow.

Old October 28th 04, 10:24 PM
Tony Rickard

"redTed" wrote:

> Thanks very much for the insight.
> As my car is a 2001 model, it seems strange that this "variator" is
> faulty. Perhaps I should look deeper into the cars service history.
> Also, I'm pretty certain that the service manager told me that failure of
> this part would cause serious damage. Could I hold this against them when
> I go to pay up ?

I certainly thought the variator problem was cured by the time 147s were
introduced. It makes a diesel noise on startup.

I specifically asked my dealer when I had the cambelt changed on my 96 GTV
and they said they checked it and it didn't need replacing.

I wonder if your dealer is changing them as a matter of course with cambelt
changes across all TS engined cars regardless of age?

Old October 28th 04, 11:15 PM
redTed

> I certainly thought the variator problem was cured by the time 147s were
> introduced. It makes a diesel noise on startup.
>
> I specifically asked my dealer when I had the cambelt changed on my 96 GTV
> and they said they checked it and it didn't need replacing.
>
> I wonder if your dealer is changing them as a matter of course with
> cambelt changes across all TS engined cars regardless of age?

I have heard the "diesel" engine sound at start-up, on occasion. But it
quietens out fairly quickly.
Proving that they(Caledonia) are ripping me off could be a bit tricky. Who's
to know what dealers are up to these days. It's been shown that due to the
modern cars relative lack of maintenance required, dealers are bumping up
prices on what ever work they do carry out.

Old October 28th 04, 11:56 PM
Tony Rickard

"redTed" wrote:

> I have heard the "diesel" engine sound at start-up, on occasion. But it
> quietens out fairly quickly.

In which case it would seem the sensible time to replace it as you have the
clear symptoms of a variator on its way out. I guess Alfa improved the
reliability of variators after 2000 but they can still fail like anything
else.

What mileage has it done?

Old October 29th 04, 12:11 AM
redTed

>> I have heard the "diesel" engine sound at start-up, on occasion. But it
>> quietens out fairly quickly.

> In which case it would seem the sensible time to replace it as you have
> the clear symptoms of a variator on its way out. I guess Alfa improved the
> reliability of variators after 2000 but they can still fail like anything
> else.
>
> What mileage has it done?

About 34,000. It was due a major service and the cam belt is getting
replaced so I suppose it must be done..It's just the cost that's getting me
down !

Old October 29th 04, 04:13 AM
Buzzardous Cross

Gert, great info on the engine but just wondering if the 2.0TS
actually has an additional balancer shaft belt or do the balancer
shafts run off the aux belt?
BC

Old October 29th 04, 07:30 AM
DesmaisonLCM

my father just made replacement at our local Alfa dealer for the cambelt and
the variator of his Alfa 145 1.6TS 120hp. It's the same engine on the 147. The
cost is 580 euros for one day of labor.
The price for the variator itself is only 180euros.
the price for one hour of work is 40euros.
If it can help you, i find that UK prices are very hight .
Bruno.
Old October 29th 04, 10:51 AM
Tom Boltwood

> From: "Alfistagj" >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:13:48 GMT
> Subject: 147 T-Spark Service problem

<snip>
> All 4-cil TS engines suffered from this problem; those manufactured after
> April 2000 are o.k.

<snip>

I think you mean all 16v TS engines? AFAIK the 8v TS engines didn't have
this problem.

Old October 29th 04, 06:09 PM
Catman

Tom Boltwood wrote:

>> From: "Alfistagj" >
>> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
>> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:13:48 GMT
>> Subject: 147 T-Spark Service problem
>>

> <snip>
>> All 4-cil TS engines suffered from this problem; those manufactured after
>> April 2000 are o.k.

> <snip>
>
> I think you mean all 16v TS engines? AFAIK the 8v TS engines didn't have
> this problem.

They didn't have that variator AFAIK
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old October 29th 04, 07:41 PM
Alfistagj

The 16V TS 2.0 has a balancer shaft with a seperat belt.
The 8V doesn't (is the "old" "real" Alfa engine; the 16V are basically FIAT
engines)
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Buzzardous Cross" > schreef in bericht
om...

Service David A Smith Alfa Romeo 4 October 19th 04 03:36 PM
146 engine problem News Groups Alfa Romeo 5 October 19th 04 03:15 PM
Alfa Romeo Mechanic / Service? Brian Madden Alfa Romeo 1 August 30th 04 11:38 PM
Problem: 146 Ti holds back..!? Stephan Alfa Romeo 3 July 22nd 04 08:38 PM
Alfa Service Lenny Alfa Romeo 3 July 7th 04 11:34 PM