TJ Bright Lights Not Working....

Old March 25th 05, 07:37 AM

Default TJ Bright Lights Not Working....

Anybody know what may cause my 1997 TJ's bright beams to quit working?
Regular beams are fine. When you turn the brights on, the fog lights
and the headlights just turn off. Any idea's? I'm stumped.

Brian Tanksley

Old March 25th 05, 02:00 PM
Cherokee-Ltd

High beam switch is toast.
-Brian

ups.com...

Old March 25th 05, 04:44 PM

Cherokee-Ltd wrote:
> High beam switch is toast.
> -Brian

I don't think it's the switch. The "bright light" indicator comes on in
the dash when you flip the lever and you can here the relay clicking
behind the glove box. Anyone got any idea's?

Brian Tanksley

Old March 25th 05, 05:02 PM
Mike Romain

If you have 'fog'??? lights connected to high beams, the circuit is
overloaded so I would guess either the switch has died or the relay had
fried out. Most likely the relay is burned if it is the power source.

The older headlight switches would burn the breaker in them when you
overloaded the wiring.

'Driving lights' which come on with highbeams need their own source of
power. You can use the switch to tag an independent relay for them, but
you cannot wire them to the high beams.

'Fog' lights only come on with low beams and already have a relay I
believe.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 26th 05, 07:23 AM

My fog lights are factory and have their own switch under the radio
area. I was just saying that the fog lights and headlights both shut
off when I turn the bright lights on. Like I said, I'm stumped. Thanks
for the advice though. I do appreciate your assistance on this.

Brian Tanksley

Old March 26th 05, 01:30 PM
mic canic

oh oh oh

i have seen a few were both elements were toast, the fogs are suppose
to turn off when the brights are turned on

Old March 26th 05, 02:13 PM
Mike Romain

The fogs have a tag on the power relay so they will not turn on when the
high beams are on so that is perfectly normal and shouldn't have
anything to do with your trouble.

And just maybe you also have 2 burned out bulbs? It happens more often
then folks think.

The click and bright warning light on implies the switch is working.

I would take a multimeter, even a cheap $2.00 one and see if there is
voltage to the headlight plug when the high beams are on. If no power,
then I would suspect the relay is dead, if power, the bulb is burned.

Mike

Old March 28th 05, 10:43 PM

Thanks so much to all of you for your help! What a great group! I'll
keep you posted on what I find.

Brian Tanksley