VW 1965 engine spluttering after switch off

Old July 31st 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
YMC[_2_]

Default VW 1965 engine spluttering after switch off

Hi,

I've got a classic VW Beetle - vintage 1965. It has a 1641cc engine inside.
It was running smoothly until recently.

The problem is thus:

I go for a 15 minute to 1 hour drive - I stop - and turn off the key. The
engine still keeps on running - spluttering for about 30 seconds after this.

I do not have my foot on the accelerator and have also take my foot off the
clutch.

I figure the problem may be caused by the new fuel my petrol station is
currently selling - which contains ethanyol.

Old July 31st 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

In article >,
"YMC" > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a classic VW Beetle - vintage 1965. It has a 1641cc engine inside.
> It was running smoothly until recently.
>
> The problem is thus:
>
> I go for a 15 minute to 1 hour drive - I stop - and turn off the key. The
> engine still keeps on running - spluttering for about 30 seconds after this.
>
> I do not have my foot on the accelerator and have also take my foot off the
> clutch.
>
> I figure the problem may be caused by the new fuel my petrol station is
> currently selling - which contains ethanyol.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Could it be dieseling?
do you have a idle fuel cutoff solenoid, maybe you can add one.
dieseling is very hard on the engine.
can break the crankshaft.
at least stoping it by leaving the car in gear and if you have to engage
the clutch in gear to stop the engine.
sometimes deposits of carbon are glowing and igniting leftover fuel.
does the group have other input.
--
If guns are out-lawed. Only the Out-laws & politicians will have guns.
Old July 31st 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

A Veteran wrote:
> In article >,
> "YMC" > wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a classic VW Beetle - vintage 1965. It has a 1641cc engine inside.
>> It was running smoothly until recently.
>>
>> The problem is thus:
>>
>> I go for a 15 minute to 1 hour drive - I stop - and turn off the key. The
>> engine still keeps on running - spluttering for about 30 seconds after this.
>>
>> I do not have my foot on the accelerator and have also take my foot off the
>> clutch.
>>
>> I figure the problem may be caused by the new fuel my petrol station is
>> currently selling - which contains ethanyol.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this problem?

> Could it be dieseling?
> do you have a idle fuel cutoff solenoid, maybe you can add one.
> dieseling is very hard on the engine.
> can break the crankshaft.
> at least stoping it by leaving the car in gear and if you have to engage
> the clutch in gear to stop the engine.
> sometimes deposits of carbon are glowing and igniting leftover fuel.
> does the group have other input.

Timing can cause it also.

Les
Old July 31st 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Project Magnet #1 wrote:
> A Veteran wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "YMC" > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got a classic VW Beetle - vintage 1965. It has a 1641cc engine
>>> inside. It was running smoothly until recently.
>>>
>>> The problem is thus:
>>>
>>> I go for a 15 minute to 1 hour drive - I stop - and turn off the key.
>>> The engine still keeps on running - spluttering for about 30 seconds
>>> after this.
>>>
>>> I do not have my foot on the accelerator and have also take my foot
>>> off the clutch.
>>>
>>> I figure the problem may be caused by the new fuel my petrol station
>>> is currently selling - which contains ethanyol.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else experienced this problem?

>> Could it be dieseling?
>> do you have a idle fuel cutoff solenoid, maybe you can add one.
>> dieseling is very hard on the engine.
>> can break the crankshaft.
>> at least stoping it by leaving the car in gear and if you have to
>> engage the clutch in gear to stop the engine.
>> sometimes deposits of carbon are glowing and igniting leftover fuel.
>> does the group have other input.

> Timing can cause it also.
>
> Les

Switch to a higher octane gasoline for a while, see if it goes away.
Keep running higher octane for a period of time along with some fuel
additive that supposedly cleans off carbon deposits. Or have some
mechanic try water treatment to get it out. After some time with no
symptoms, switch back to lower octane fuel to save money. Higher octane
won't do you any good other than stop the dieseling. If you get rid of
dieseling, there's no longer a reason to run higher octane. A stock VW
engine can run with 87oct.
Old July 31st 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
YMC[_2_]

"A Veteran" > wrote in message
-> Could it be dieseling?
> do you have a idle fuel cutoff solenoid, maybe you can add one.
> dieseling is very hard on the engine.
> can break the crankshaft.
> at least stoping it by leaving the car in gear and if you have to engage
> the clutch in gear to stop the engine.
> sometimes deposits of carbon are glowing and igniting leftover fuel.
> does the group have other input.

I don't use diesel if thats what you mean.

As for the idle fuel cut off solenoid. I don't know about that - but it was
working fine for 2 years before this happened.

To stop I let it splutter until it dies - which takes 10 - 20 seconds or so.

Yes, leaving it in 1st gear stops it effectively - but has that big shudder
effect.

Old July 31st 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message
> Keep running higher octane for a period of time along with some fuel
> additive that supposedly cleans off carbon deposits. Or have some mechanic
> try water treatment to get it out.

seafoam...good stuff....

http://www.threefattigers.com/Protoc...vo/SeaFoam.jpg

Old August 2nd 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bob Hoover

On Jul 30, 6:11 pm, "YMC" > wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Your symptoms are consistant with a failed or disconnected low-speed
solenoid, the so-called 'anti-dieseling' valve.

-Bob Hoover
Old August 6th 08, 07:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
YMC[_2_]

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message

> Switch to a higher octane gasoline for a while, see if it goes away. Keep
> running higher octane for a period of time along with some fuel additive
> that supposedly cleans off carbon deposits. Or have some mechanic try
> water treatment to get it out. After some time with no symptoms, switch
> back to lower octane fuel to save money. Higher octane won't do you any
> good other than stop the dieseling. If you get rid of dieseling, there's
> no longer a reason to run higher octane. A stock VW engine can run with
> 87oct.

I switched to a higher octane petrol - BP 98oct. The spluttering (after
switch off) has stopped - but that's only for short distances.

Have not yet done a distance trip of 25km+ yet to see whether the problem
occurs.