Removing RTV from Paint

Old December 4th 04, 01:14 AM
Mike Romain

Default Removing RTV from Paint

SoK66 wrote:

> Nah, it's black Permatex RTV for sure. The problem is that even after I
> sliced off the thickest parts of the bead (which was almost 4ft long) the
> remaining residue is thick and stuck to the paint like its shadow. I think
> what's confusing everyone is that it isn't like a machined surface with just
> a bit of RTV skin left on. Sure, it will rub off a tiny bit at a time, but I
> have to go 4 ft, and it's about 1/4 - 1/2" wide and still maybe 1/16" thick
> in some spots. So, when you just rub on it do get a little bit of it off,
> but it just uncovers more.
>
> But, OK, here's what I tried today. Got some of the 3M Adhesive remover
> someone suggested, which didn't even faze the stuff. Then I tried a special
> rubber wheel (designed to attach to a drill or angle grinder) for removing
> tape stripe reside. All this did was rubbed it off a tiny bit, but for the
> most part it bounced right off the stuff. Finally, I tried some white gas on
> a rag and a plastic pot scrubber and .....VOILA! Took it off, if not
> quickly, and just left some tiny scratches in the surface which I can get
> after later with a buffing wheel and some polish later.
>
> I got my rocker guards back from the powder coater today. He recommended a
> clearcoat over them and they came out great. The powder coat should hold up
> a lot better than did "Rattlecan black" Krylon.
>
> Many thanks to all who responded with suggestions...even you, Bill!
>
> Jerry McG. (Bill's Troll ;-)

Ahh, so I see my first suggestion worked in the end after all eh?

I apologize if I ended up being 'condescending' later in that thread.

I meant to be insulting and call you a liar and a troll only looking for
attention at the same point in the thread Bill called your BS or better
'Chicken Little'.

To quote your lie:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. So far I've got "nothing", fingers,
erasers, old credit cards, alcohol and gasoline

Instead I was polite.

I now know you for what you are so I will not be polite any more.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old December 4th 04, 01:14 AM
Mike Romain

Old December 4th 04, 01:15 AM
Mike Romain

Well what do you know? Turns out Bill was right after all.

Mike

Old December 4th 04, 01:15 AM
Mike Romain

Old December 4th 04, 03:31 AM
SoK66

Mike, you're out of line and I'm not going to submit to this from you. I
asked this group a simple and serious Goddamn question in order to to solve
a very troubling problem I was having that wasn't of my making. I got
several kind responses, but was then inexplicably called a "troll" by Bill,
apparently just for having asked the question: Jeezus!!!

After all the responses I received, I did not LIE (where the Hell did you
get that?), I simply recapped all the suggestions everyone had given me and
I then tried them one at a time. Subsequently I posted the results. Sorry if
that offended you.

The fact that you took my reposts the wrong way is your problem, not mine.
You took it the wrong way, I suspect, because that's what you wanted to do,
for heaven knows what reason. I can't for the life of me understand why a
poster on this PUBLIC newsgroup asking honest questions has to put up with
this, but it's your choice to be a jerk if you want to be.

After every other suggestion the good folks had given me to remove the RTV
from my Jeep's paint had failed, the last thing I tried before trailering
the Jeep over to the body shop to have the damn RTV, paint & all stripped
off & re-shot, was your idea to use gasoline. I saved that one for last
because I simply didn't want to fill my enclosed garage with gas fumes and
risk blowing my friggin' house up! I had to remove a a stripe of RTV almost
four feet long and 1/2 inch wide. In the end it took A LOT of gas-soaked
rags, a lot of time, a lot of scrubbing, all the while I'm inhaling the damn
gasoline fumes hoping nothing such as the lights, etc. in the garage causes
a spark and blows me to kingdom come.

The gas got it off. Yes, Mike, your idea worked, and I thanked you for it as
the earlier posts will show.

I didn't need to be insulted in the process, and I will not accept your
condesending attitude without comment. Go ahead and rationalize your
inappropriate behavior on this forum any way you like, but I didn't, and
don't appreciate it.

We all participate here because we have a common interests in Jeeps and
things automotive. If you feel the need to attack people simply beacuse they
have the audacity to ask questions that you don't happen to like, or think
are stupid, you may want to examine your own motives before you go off on
people.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded to my problem. I really appreciated
the positive feedback I received.

Old December 4th 04, 03:31 AM
SoK66

Old December 4th 04, 08:58 AM
Dave Milne

Perhaps we should start keeping scores of how many people we have managed to
verbally bitch-slap in this forum so we can can congratulate ourselves
later.

The whole point of the goddam forum is so people can ask questions and get
the answers easily. They answer might appear in Google (practically
everything does after all). But now we seem to be going in a mean-spirited
direction where newbies or less-experienced people's questions are regarded
as trolling.
Frankly, the amount of abuse in reply is more troll-like than the original
question. If you don't want to answer the question, then don't. No need to
launch off on a tirade !

In this situation, Sok66 is either confused (which is why we can help him)
or very intelligent in trolling. If the former you have given the answer in
an insulting and condescending way as you admit. If the latter, he's
obviously more intelligent than you, I and Bill ...

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old December 4th 04, 08:58 AM
Dave Milne

Old December 4th 04, 09:47 AM
SoK66

"Dave Milne" > wrote in message
.uk...
> Perhaps we should start keeping scores of how many people we have managed
> verbally bitch-slap in this forum so we can can congratulate ourselves
> later.
>
> The whole point of the goddam forum is so people can ask questions and get
> the answers easily. They answer might appear in Google (practically
> everything does after all). But now we seem to be going in a mean-spirited
> direction where newbies or less-experienced people's questions are
> regarded
> as trolling.
> Frankly, the amount of abuse in reply is more troll-like than the original
> question. If you don't want to answer the question, then don't. No need to
> launch off on a tirade !
>
> In this situation, Sok66 is either confused (which is why we can help him)
> or very intelligent in trolling. If the former you have given the answer
> in
> an insulting and condescending way as you admit. If the latter, he's
> obviously more intelligent than you, I and Bill ...
>
> Dave Milne, Scotland
> '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Thanks, Dave. There was no justification for the crap I took in asking this
simple question. I had RTV, normally used to seal machined components used
inappropriately on a finished surface and I just needed some ideas on how to
get it off without damaging the paint. Most, including you, kindly offered
useful suggestions. Unfortunately, two decided to be jerks, for God knows
what reason.
I've got about $50k involved in this YJ, and another $25k in a CJ
retoration, I have better things to do with my time than troll usenet Jeep
groups.

Old December 4th 04, 09:47 AM
SoK66

.uk...