US: buying a car from Canada Options

Old June 2nd 11, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.marketplace,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
liu

Default US: buying a car from Canada Options

My relative in Canada would like to sell their car to me in US. Are
there any special procedure we need to follow to do that? Do I have to
pay import tax or something similar? Will there be extra cost
involved?

Thanks,
Old June 2nd 11, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.marketplace,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
liu

On Jun 2, 1:03*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> Too many unknowns here. Was the car assembled in the US, Mexico, or Canada? *
> Was it assembled elsewhere? How old is it?

I will ask them to check. It was a 2008 Prius bought in Canada.

> It could be as simple as getting a Certificate of Conformity (or whatever
> the proper name is for that document) from the automaker, or the vehicle
> may be totally un-importable.
>
> See here for the official US-government rules.
> <http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/>
>
> You have lots of reading to do.

Thanks for the pointer.

Old June 2nd 11, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.marketplace,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

liu > wrote in
:

> On Jun 2, 1:03*pm, Tegger > wrote:
>> Too many unknowns here. Was the car assembled in the US, Mexico, or
>> Canad

> a? *
>> Was it assembled elsewhere? How old is it?
>>

> I will ask them to check. It was a 2008 Prius bought in Canada.

Your Prius was assembled in Japan (VIN begins with "J"). You will need to
pay 2.5% duty on the current value of the car. Plus there may be state and
local taxes applicable in your area.

Besides that, you need to make sure the car is importable with or without
safety or emissions modifications. For that you need to read the PDFs on
that government Website I gave. All your answers are there. Here's the link
again:
<http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/>

--
Tegger
Old June 3rd 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.autos.marketplace,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
liu

> Your Prius was assembled in Japan (VIN begins with "J"). You will need to
> pay 2.5% duty on the current value of the car. Plus there may be state and
> local taxes applicable in your area.

Is it different in US?

> Besides that, you need to make sure the car is importable with or without
> safety or emissions modifications. For that you need to read the PDFs on
> that government Website I gave. All your answers are there. Here's the link
> again:
> <http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/>

Thank you for the great information.

Old June 6th 11, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.marketplace,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

aemeijers > wrote in
:

> On 6/2/2011 1:03 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> > wrote in news:af110d5c-7037-40c7-b943-
>> :
>>
>>> My relative in Canada would like to sell their car to me in US. Are
>>> there any special procedure we need to follow to do that? Do I have
>>> to pay import tax or something similar? Will there be extra cost
>>> involved?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> Too many unknowns here. Was the car assembled in the US, Mexico, or
>> Canada? Was it assembled elsewhere? How old is it?
>>
>> It could be as simple as getting a Certificate of Conformity (or
>> whatever the proper name is for that document) from the automaker, or
>> the vehicle may be totally un-importable.
>>
>> See here for the official US-government rules.
>> <http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/>
>>
>> You have lots of reading to do.
>>

> Must not be too hard- I see lotsa Canadian-variant-badged (eg Chrysler
> Concord) cars on the road here in Baja Ontario, AKA Michigan.

Sometimes it's as easy as getting the Certificate of Compliance from the
automaker.

We have a number of US models up here as well, some of them still bearing
their old state stickers in the windshield, etc.

--
Tegger

Looking at a car without key for doors - my options? [email protected] Technology 13 March 23rd 09 05:36 PM
New invented car options Ahmed Alfa Romeo 0 October 26th 07 07:38 AM
New invented car options Ahmed Driving 0 October 26th 07 07:35 AM
Know your options after an accident Canada [email protected] General 2 September 29th 06 10:28 AM
Old car, oil filter options. Jan Fure BMW 2 July 9th 05 09:12 PM