Oil prices got you down?

Old August 10th 05, 11:04 AM
Cherokee-Ltd

Default Oil prices got you down?

From another thread that was veering off-topic...

Besides untreated water, name another liquid you can get for $1.50/gallon.
Bill had mentioned California diesel prices hitting $3.00/gallon in another
thread.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...-home-business

At first I thought waaa waa waa, it's still cheaper than most countries on
the planet.... until I did the math! Tonight I paid $.82/L Canadian for
diesel, after conversion to gallons and into US Funds, I paid $2.54/gallon
US... hehehe. Unfortunately, regular unleaded in Canada is still
$2.86/gallon US, almost $.30 higher than California.

It's important for us Canadians and Americans not to whine too much for our
overseas friends are paying at least twice as much for "petrol".

Let's keep things in perspective
In fact, at today's price of $63/barrel (petroleum barrels are 42
gallons)...

A cool refreshing cup of crude oil would cost you about 10 cents unlike the
thieving pimply faced little girl down the street selling lemonade for 25
cents a cup.

Slide by your local pub for pint after a hard days work? You'd jump at a
chance to get your suds for the price of a pint of crude at 19 cents.

If only we could get a 255 ml can of pop for the price of crude... about 9
cents.

Old August 10th 05, 01:21 PM
Snow

still cheaper then Jet-A

Snow...

Old August 12th 05, 12:24 AM
tim bur

lets try not to run to the pump every day to top off the tank thus reducing a higher
demand , lets slow down and reenact the 55 mph law federally, slow down and keep our
vehicles fix when the check engine lite is on. start using concrete and cut down ashphalt
that takes all kind of oil/tar to make and just watch how much oil comes down after 3
months of of causing a glut in the market
gas does not have the shelf life it used to so they do not want to stockpile it

Old August 12th 05, 12:58 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I CAN'T DRIVE 55!
http://members.tripod.com/~spdracr6/icantdrive.wav
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 12th 05, 02:15 AM
Sarge

"tim bur" wrote: "lets try not to run to the pump every day to top off the
tank thus reducing a higher demand , lets slow down and reenact the 55 mph
law federally, slow down and keep our vehicles fix when the check engine
lite is on. start using concrete and cut down ashphalt that takes all kind
of oil/tar to make and just watch how much oil comes down after 3 months of
of causing a glut in the market gas does not have the shelf life it used
to so they do not want to stockpile it"

Stop using plastic since the chemicals to make it come from a barrel of oil.
Stop taking medicines since some of the chemicals used to make it come from
oil. Stop eating preserved foods since the chemicals to preserve it come
from a barrel of oil. Stop your wife from smelling good with her perfume
since perfumes are made from chemicals that come from a barrel of oil. Stop
using insecticides since the come indirectly from a barrel of oil.

The list continues so I guess if you want the price to go down we should all
buy horses and let them feed in pastures where we don't fertilize or use
pesticides. We could collect the manure and let it dry and use it for
fertilizer or even burn it for fuel in the winter.

Sarge

Old August 12th 05, 02:50 AM
DougW

Sarge did pass the time by typing:

> The list continues so I guess if you want the price to go down we should all
> buy horses and let them feed in pastures where we don't fertilize or use
> pesticides. We could collect the manure and let it dry and use it for
> fertilizer or even burn it for fuel in the winter.

If you think gas is expensive, try feed and livery charges for a horse, vet
bills, grooming, and the annoying requirement in some citys to pick up after
your animals. (that's one BIG baggie).

I'll take a vespa.

--
DougW

Old August 12th 05, 06:12 AM
bllsht

Explain to us how buying 10 gallons of gas every 5 days will create less demand
than buying 2 gallons every day. Why don't we all stop buying gas on Mondays?
That'll kill demand won't it? Give me a break...

I'll gladly pay whatever it takes to drive my gas guzzler 75 mph. You can drive
your hybrid whatever speed you want, but I say **** driving 55 mph.

Old August 12th 05, 03:58 PM
Lee Ayrton

Please explain: If I'm burning 20 gal/week, how does buying 20 gallons
once a week instead of 5 gallons a day reduce demand.

Old August 12th 05, 04:29 PM
Earle Horton

If we don't have an oil or gas shortage now, we will have one soon enough.
People who should know these things, project that the oil supply is going to
shut down for good, sometime this century. Then, petroleum is only going to
be cost effective, for raw material for expensive chemicals. Natural gas
will no longer be a heating fuel. LP gas won't even exist. Somebody is
going to have to figure out, how to make fuel out of corn, wood, or air. We
won't have to attack the Saudis, to get our dollars back from them.

Your shortage of refineries and "artificially high" fuel prices serve to
postpone the day when this will occur. "Regulations, red-tape, and pure out
and out bull****tery" are buying time for our grandchildren, to figure this
mess out. The fact that dishonest people make a profit, well that is just
human nature.

When I look out the window and see a coal train, belching black smoke into
the supposedly clean air above Silverton, that reminds me of how
hypocritical the EPA and the "environmental whackjobs" can be.

Earle

"DougW" > wrote in message
> ambrin did pass the time by typing:
> > We don't have an oil, or gas shortage. We have a critical shortage of
> > refineries. Thank the EPA for that...

> Probably less the fault of the EPA and more the fault of environmental

whackjobs.
> There would have been a nice shiny new refinery in California, but due to

regulations,
> red-tape, and pure out and out bull****tery, they built it down to Mexico.
>
> One has had a fire, and one simply have to be shut down for maintenance.

Then
> there is the switch from Diesel to home heating oil, and "winter grades"

of fuel.
> But your correct, we need more refineries.
>
> We also need some price controls on gasoline. Just wait till the oil

companies
> report profits this year. Prices now are simply pure greed.
>
> As for me, I'm just rolling things into single trips. No more just

driving
> to a place to window shop. That and taking my lunch to work rather than

going
> out for lunch. Heck, eating lunch alone costs $7-$10 depending on where

you

Old August 12th 05, 04:54 PM
Earle Horton

This is just the result of faulty reasoning, but people "topping off" fuel
tanks during the fuel shortages of the 70s and 80s did cause long lines at
the pump. That turned out to be more of a problem, than the actual
shortages would indicate. I think that people eventually figured out, that
there is no way, that you can store enough fuel in your car, in the case of
a real shortage. Now, you can fill your tank most places any time you want,
thanks to credit card readers on the pump. Lots of people with obsessive
compulsive disorder drive around with a full tank all the time, and they
don't hurt anyone. (My friend's dog has OCD, and he is doing fine on
Xanax.)

I remember people putting $0.75 worth of gas into their Cadillacs, just to
make sure that they would never run out. Then Virginia passed a law making
this illegal, but people did it anyway. Finally, it was odd/even days of
the month and your license plate number. If you had a job, that required
you to use more than half a tank a day, you had to be pretty clever. DMV
employees got pretty cagey, when asked for odd-numbered or even-numbered
license plates. It was all very surreal, but people do funny things, when
there is a crisis.

Earle