How easy to replace rear wheel bearing on 98' Grand Cherokee ?

Old May 14th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ndccpf1

Default How easy to replace rear wheel bearing on 98' Grand Cherokee ?

I've done front drive cars and the rears are very easy. Not familiar
on the Grand Chero.
Old May 14th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RoyJ

Your vehicle can have either a Dana 35 or Dana 44 and you need to know
which one you have. The axle shaft has to come out of the differential
housing. Pull the shaft, bring to your local auto parts place and have
them press the old bearing off and the new bearing on the shaft.

The Dana 35 axle shaft is held in place by a 'C' clip on the inside
of the spider gears. Take off the diff cover, pull clip, remove axle.
the Dana 44 has a retainer on the outboard end of the shaft, under the
lug bolts. Remove the 4 retainer nuts, pull it out. Both of these are
tight fits, pulling the axle shaft may take some grunting. I usually
wrap a chain around the lug nuts, other end to a 55 # anvil (or concrete
block), swing the block to get some force on the shaft.

It's not a horrible job on either style but it's enough of a job to make
sure you really need a new bearing before tearing into it.

Old May 14th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
ndccpf1

On May 14, 11:18*am, RoyJ > wrote:
> Your vehicle can have either a Dana 35 or Dana 44 and you need to know
> which one you have. The axle shaft has to come out of the differential
> housing. Pull the shaft, bring to your local auto parts place and have
> them press the old bearing off and the new bearing on the shaft.
>
> * The Dana 35 axle shaft *is held in place by a 'C' clip on the inside
> of the spider gears. Take off the diff cover, pull clip, remove axle.
> the Dana 44 has a retainer on the outboard end of the shaft, under the
> lug bolts. Remove the 4 retainer nuts, pull it out. Both of these are
> tight fits, pulling the axle shaft may take some grunting. I usually
> wrap a chain around the lug nuts, other end to a 55 # anvil (or concrete
> block), swing the block to get some force on the shaft.
>
> It's not a horrible job on either style but it's enough of a job to make
> sure you really need a new bearing before tearing into it.
>

> ndccpf1 wrote:
> > I've done front drive cars and the rears are very easy. Not familiar
> > on the Grand Chero.- Hide quoted text -

OK...thank you greatly for this heads up. My schedule limits the type
of work so I may leave this one to the local shop.

Regards,

Philip