Trailer Hitch Wiring - After market Reese

Old September 6th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jamest

Default Trailer Hitch Wiring - After market Reese

Greetings,
I installed a hitch, snapped on the wiring harness back at the access
panel behind the spare.
I have not yet run the fused power line to the battery as the
instructions indicate.

Reading the shop manual I see a 50 amp fuse in the PDC for trailer
wiring.
What is its purpose , since i didnt get a factory hitch.

Is there a better place to tap power than having to run a line up to
the battery?

97 ZJ Limited 318

thanks,
james

Old September 6th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 07:41:42 -0700, jamest >
wrote:

>Greetings,
>I installed a hitch, snapped on the wiring harness back at the access
>panel behind the spare.
>I have not yet run the fused power line to the battery as the
>instructions indicate.
>
>Reading the shop manual I see a 50 amp fuse in the PDC for trailer
>wiring.
>What is its purpose , since i didnt get a factory hitch.
>
>Is there a better place to tap power than having to run a line up to
>the battery?
>
>97 ZJ Limited 318
>
>thanks,
>james

I don't see any 50-amp fuses anywhere. I do see a 20-amp fuse (#1)
labeled Power Antenna and Trailer Tow. This 20-amp fuse goes to the
body harness in the right-rear quarter panel. If you had the factory
tow package, the tow connector would have plugged into the body
harness at that point. The purpose of the line is to feed 12-volts to
the trailer lamp relays in the Jeep, as well as the 12-volt feed going
to the trailer for lights, battery charge, etc. That would be the
best place to tap power for the trailer unless you need more current.
In that case, I would go straight to the battery.

Dick

Old September 7th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jamest

thanks, i will doublecheck what fuse i was looking at and hunt down
that harness.

Old September 7th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
jamest

Were you looking at the Power Junction block by the passenger kick
panel by chance?

I was referring to the Power distribution block under the hood --where
there is clearly has a 50AMP fuse marked trailer tow , 3rd one in from
the right.
50A

Your advice to tap the harness is a great idea and a lot more elegant
than running a line.
I found the instrucution for installling the factory hitch harness, so
that is helpful .

Old September 7th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

I seem to be having a trouble with numbers lately. You said 1997, and
I read 1993. Sorry about that. The information about the wiring
harness is probably incorrect also, but there should be something
similar in the 1997. Might be on a different side in the rear.

Dick

Trailer hitch on YJ jerryg Jeep 2 July 23rd 07 08:48 PM
trailer hitch on a MX-5? [email protected] Mazda 18 January 24th 07 12:20 PM
trailer hitch peter Mazda 1 November 9th 06 05:37 PM
hitch trailer peter Mazda 1 September 21st 05 05:16 PM
Trailer Hitch Larry Hill Mazda 3 September 10th 04 01:16 AM