85 to 89 Octane Update

Old September 6th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mindy[_2_]

Default 85 to 89 Octane Update

to follow up my last post, I refilled my 2001 Grand with 89 octane gas
rather than the cheapest gas of 85....there was a good differance in the
mountain pass lanes, I had more power to keep up with the speed limit and
even passed others on Interstate 70....maybe a bad tank of 85 but still I
will go with the 89 till I get down out of the 8 to 10,000 ft range of
highways....

I did the usual pretrip maintence, new airfilter, oil change , new tires &
alignment and tune up....

thanks to all for your input, even Bill... : )

Old September 6th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 11:22:49 -0500, "Mindy"
> wrote:

>to follow up my last post, I refilled my 2001 Grand with 89 octane gas
>rather than the cheapest gas of 85....there was a good differance in the
>mountain pass lanes, I had more power to keep up with the speed limit and
>even passed others on Interstate 70....maybe a bad tank of 85 but still I
>will go with the 89 till I get down out of the 8 to 10,000 ft range of
>highways....
>
>I did the usual pretrip maintence, new airfilter, oil change , new tires &
>alignment and tune up....
>
>thanks to all for your input, even Bill... : )

I would suggest that you stay with 89 or better down in the low lands
too.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old September 6th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_3119_]

You may notice an increase in mileage, too. Probably enough to nullify
the price difference.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 7th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
98XJ

With other cars (never a problem with my XJ), when I have had pinging
on a full tank of gas, I have added a few mothballs (nitrobenzene)
into the tank. It has not shown any harm to the engines of several of
my own or other family members' cars/trucks, and some permanently cut
to a lower-than-reccommended octane by adding a few at each fill-up.

....and their woolen seat covers seem to last longer, too.

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 18:55:40 -0400, "Spdloader"

Old September 8th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Mindy proclaimed:

> to follow up my last post, I refilled my 2001 Grand with 89 octane gas
> rather than the cheapest gas of 85....there was a good differance in the
> mountain pass lanes, I had more power to keep up with the speed limit and
> even passed others on Interstate 70....maybe a bad tank of 85 but still I
> will go with the 89 till I get down out of the 8 to 10,000 ft range of
> highways....
>
> I did the usual pretrip maintence, new airfilter, oil change , new tires &
> alignment and tune up....
>
> thanks to all for your input, even Bill... : )

Try the midgrade if you have the 4.0. A tad cheaper than premium and
seems to work just as well.

I was never able to burn anything but Valero regular in a 4.0 ZJ [stock
except for cat back] down around sea level in California/Nevada without
mild pinging. Midgrade worked for the other brands.

Spring and summer in Colorado I was able to run regular from just about
any brand and still pass the "I-70 test" from Idaho Springs up and over
the pass. However, now that they appear to be cutting over to winter
blends, I've had to move up to mid grade to keep the mild ping down and
slog it up the hills. Debating a stroker, but also debating an SRT-8
heh heh.
Old September 8th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Yeah, but you gotta admit, it is kinda hard on the local moth
population, and sooner or later some tree hugger is gonna come after you
for removing them from all those moths.

Seriously, a can or two of a few of the better engine boosters every few
tankfuls seems to work about as well.

Allegedly the old mothballs in the tank is an urban legend.

98XJ proclaimed: