Newsreader filter suggestion using regex (regular expression)

Old September 3rd 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

Default Newsreader filter suggestion using regex (regular expression)

Peter Stolz wrote:
> clay wrote:

>>> With Thunderbird you can just right click on the "From:
>>> " and choose "Create Filter from Message". Just
>>> pick what you want to happen to messages from that source (like
>>> delete :-). If the entire thread annoys you cut and paste the thread
>>> title into a "New Filter" and choose whatever. That right click on
>>> "From:" works wonders for me :-) It keeps the background noise to a
>>> minimum.
>>>

>> More Thunderbird tricks:
>> Close Thunderbird before doing these...
>>
>> Path to profile. May have to set view hidden folders to see it.
>> \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application
>> Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxx.default\News
>>
>> You can edit/create filters directly by browsing to your profile/news
>> folder and opening rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys.dat in wordpad.
>> Copy an existing filter from `name` to `condition` and paste at the
>> end, seasoning to taste.
>>
>> To make all the existing posts that are filtered go away, delete
>> rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys.msf.
>> It will rebuild when you open TB and all the filtered posts will be gone.
>> ymmv. use at your own risk. performance not guaranteed. offer not
>> valid in all states. etc. etc.

> Ahhh. Thanks. I'm still trying to figure it out. I just noticed you
> guys replied to my post.
> Thanks!
> Pete

Hope we helped a bit :-)

--
FRH
Old September 3rd 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Peter Stolz[_2_]

Frank_v7.0 wrote:
> Peter Stolz wrote:
>> clay wrote:

>>> More Thunderbird tricks:
>>> Close Thunderbird before doing these...
>>>
>>> Path to profile. May have to set view hidden folders to see it.
>>> \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application
>>> Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxx.default\News
>>>
>>> You can edit/create filters directly by browsing to your profile/news
>>> folder and opening rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys.dat in wordpad.
>>> Copy an existing filter from `name` to `condition` and paste at the
>>> end, seasoning to taste.
>>>
>>> To make all the existing posts that are filtered go away, delete
>>> rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys.msf.
>>> It will rebuild when you open TB and all the filtered posts will be
>>> gone.
>>> ymmv. use at your own risk. performance not guaranteed. offer not
>>> valid in all states. etc. etc.

>> Ahhh. Thanks. I'm still trying to figure it out. I just noticed you
>> guys replied to my post.
>> Thanks!
>> Pete

> Hope we helped a bit :-)

Yes you did. Now, how did you know I responded to a post of three weeks
ago? Does TB notify you that somebody responded to a post? Right now,
I'm just going down the list of threads I marked as "watch" and looking
to see if anybody added anything.
Thanks again,
Pete
Old September 4th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

Peter Stolz wrote:
> Frank_v7.0 wrote:
>> Peter Stolz wrote:

>>> Ahhh. Thanks. I'm still trying to figure it out. I just noticed
>>> you guys replied to my post.
>>> Thanks!
>>> Pete

>> Hope we helped a bit :-)
>>

> Yes you did. Now, how did you know I responded to a post of three weeks
> ago? Does TB notify you that somebody responded to a post? Right now,
> I'm just going down the list of threads I marked as "watch" and looking
> to see if anybody added anything.
> Thanks again,
> Pete

Yup! It just showed up as a new post and of course you weren't in my
"kill file" (message filter in T-bird :-)

--
FRH
Old September 4th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Peter Stolz[_2_]

Frank_v7.0 wrote:
> Peter Stolz wrote:
>> Frank_v7.0 wrote:

>>> Hope we helped a bit :-)
>>>

>> Yes you did. Now, how did you know I responded to a post of three
>> weeks ago? Does TB notify you that somebody responded to a post?
>> Right now, I'm just going down the list of threads I marked as "watch"
>> and looking to see if anybody added anything.
>> Thanks again,
>> Pete

> Yup! It just showed up as a new post and of course you weren't in my
> "kill file" (message filter in T-bird :-)

Okay, so I have my "view" set to sort by date, descending, threaded.
But that way, if somebody posts to a thread of a few weeks ago, I
probably wouldn't see it unless I physically scrolled back and expanded
that thread. I thread mine so I can look back and see the direction of
the conversation and who said what. Do you just have your's set to sort
by date and unthreaded so that all new posts come to the top?
Old September 4th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_2923_]

Bingo!
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 4th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Frank_v7.0

Peter Stolz wrote:
> Frank_v7.0 wrote:
>> Peter Stolz wrote:

>>> Yes you did. Now, how did you know I responded to a post of three
>>> weeks ago? Does TB notify you that somebody responded to a post?
>>> Right now, I'm just going down the list of threads I marked as
>>> "watch" and looking to see if anybody added anything.
>>> Thanks again,
>>> Pete

>> Yup! It just showed up as a new post and of course you weren't in my
>> "kill file" (message filter in T-bird :-)
>>

> Okay, so I have my "view" set to sort by date, descending, threaded. But
> that way, if somebody posts to a thread of a few weeks ago, I probably
> wouldn't see it unless I physically scrolled back and expanded that
> thread. I thread mine so I can look back and see the direction of the
> conversation and who said what. Do you just have your's set to sort by
> date and unthreaded so that all new posts come to the top?

To avoid "clutter" I have my Account Settings / Offline & Disk Space set
to delete read messages over 1 day old. Since I've filtered out most of
the trolls new messages are easy to spot even if they're replies to a
thread that's weeks old. If, for some reason, I want to refer to an old
post/thread I just Google the thread. It's just the way I do it. Most
people would have the threads of interest to them displayed in full for
a longer time period.

--
FRH
Old September 4th 07, 12:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Peter Stolz[_2_]

Frank_v7.0 wrote:
> Peter Stolz wrote:
>> Frank_v7.0 wrote:

>>> Yup! It just showed up as a new post and of course you weren't in my
>>> "kill file" (message filter in T-bird :-)
>>>

>> Okay, so I have my "view" set to sort by date, descending, threaded.
>> But that way, if somebody posts to a thread of a few weeks ago, I
>> probably wouldn't see it unless I physically scrolled back and
>> expanded that thread. I thread mine so I can look back and see the
>> direction of the conversation and who said what. Do you just have
>> your's set to sort by date and unthreaded so that all new posts come
>> to the top?

> To avoid "clutter" I have my Account Settings / Offline & Disk Space set
> to delete read messages over 1 day old. Since I've filtered out most of
> the trolls new messages are easy to spot even if they're replies to a
> thread that's weeks old. If, for some reason, I want to refer to an old
> post/thread I just Google the thread. It's just the way I do it. Most
> people would have the threads of interest to them displayed in full for
> a longer time period.

Well, I'll start messing around with the way I display them and see what
works and what I like. I'll also do some exploring in TB. I've only
had it for a couple of weeks. thanks again for the help.
Pete
Old September 4th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Clay

Peter Stolz wrote:

>>> Okay, so I have my "view" set to sort by date, descending, threaded.
>>> But that way, if somebody posts to a thread of a few weeks ago, I
>>> probably wouldn't see it unless I physically scrolled back and
>>> expanded that thread. I thread mine so I can look back and see the
>>> direction of the conversation and who said what. Do you just have
>>> your's set to sort by date and unthreaded so that all new posts come
>>> to the top?

>> To avoid "clutter" I have my Account Settings / Offline & Disk Space
>> set to delete read messages over 1 day old. Since I've filtered out
>> most of the trolls new messages are easy to spot even if they're
>> replies to a thread that's weeks old. If, for some reason, I want to
>> refer to an old post/thread I just Google the thread. It's just the
>> way I do it. Most people would have the threads of interest to them
>> displayed in full for a longer time period.
>>

> Well, I'll start messing around with the way I display them and see what
> works and what I like. I'll also do some exploring in TB. I've only
> had it for a couple of weeks. thanks again for the help.
> Pete

I sort: Date, Descending, Unthreaded.
When I hit the group, all the new posts are at the top. I see one I been
reading or want to read, I click on it, click the subject bar, and
scroll up as needed to pick up where I left off. When I'm done, two
clicks on the date bar and I'm back to the top.
When I leave the group, I leave it sorted by date, unthreaded, newest at
top.
If a stale post comes in next time I visit, TB will jump down to it.
Old September 8th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Peter Stolz[_2_]

clay wrote:

>>> To avoid "clutter" I have my Account Settings / Offline & Disk Space
>>> set to delete read messages over 1 day old. Since I've filtered out
>>> most of the trolls new messages are easy to spot even if they're
>>> replies to a thread that's weeks old. If, for some reason, I want to
>>> refer to an old post/thread I just Google the thread. It's just the
>>> way I do it. Most people would have the threads of interest to them
>>> displayed in full for a longer time period.
>>>

>> Well, I'll start messing around with the way I display them and see
>> what works and what I like. I'll also do some exploring in TB. I've
>> only had it for a couple of weeks. thanks again for the help.
>> Pete

> I sort: Date, Descending, Unthreaded.
> When I hit the group, all the new posts are at the top. I see one I been
> reading or want to read, I click on it, click the subject bar, and
> scroll up as needed to pick up where I left off. When I'm done, two
> clicks on the date bar and I'm back to the top.
> When I leave the group, I leave it sorted by date, unthreaded, newest at
> top.
> If a stale post comes in next time I visit, TB will jump down to it.

Thanks, I'll try that for a while and see if my brains can adjust to
it...watch for smoke.
Pete