2004 wj GC a/c NOT grand

Old September 2nd 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Barking Dog

Default 2004 wj GC a/c NOT grand

I hope some one can help me.

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo Freedom edition with the manual a/c
control.

The a/c blows cool not icy cold from the center vents fine. However, the
side vents, more so on the passenger side do not. I get some air blowing
from the side vents but it's not very cool and not very powerful.

The heat blows like the devil himself is standing there.

I know that the blend doors are a problem with the automatic dual
control but I can't seem to find out anything on the manual control.

How can I check if the doors are working? Do I need to remove the
dash/glovebox just to check them? And if I do, can I use the fix that
is sold on ebay?
Old September 2nd 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:51:55 GMT, Barking Dog >
wrote:

>I hope some one can help me.
>
>I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo Freedom edition with the manual a/c
>control.
>
>The a/c blows cool not icy cold from the center vents fine. However, the
>side vents, more so on the passenger side do not. I get some air blowing
>from the side vents but it's not very cool and not very powerful.
>
>The heat blows like the devil himself is standing there.
>
>I know that the blend doors are a problem with the automatic dual
>control but I can't seem to find out anything on the manual control.
>
>How can I check if the doors are working? Do I need to remove the
>dash/glovebox just to check them? And if I do, can I use the fix that
>is sold on ebay?

If the '94 is anything like the '93 (and I think it is the same) there
is no difference in the mechanical aspects of the system between the
manual and automatic systems. Both systems operate the
Temperature/BlendAir Door with the same air door motor electronically.
If the problem is in the motor, it can be removed from under the dash.
If the problem is in the blend air door sticking, etc., you are
looking at a major repair job, including the removal of the dash and
the heater-A/C unit from the vehicle. Electronics between the two
systems are of course very different.

Curious as to what the fix from Ebay is.

Dick

Old September 6th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Herb Leong

In article >,
Dick > wrote:
#If the '94 is anything like the '93 (and I think it is the same) there
#is no difference in the mechanical aspects of the system between the
#manual and automatic systems. Both systems operate the

That may be but the OP is talking about the '04.

/herb

Old September 6th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Herb Leong

In article >,
Barking Dog > wrote:
#I hope some one can help me.
#
#I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo Freedom edition with the manual a/c
#control.
#
#The a/c blows cool not icy cold from the center vents fine. However, the
#side vents, more so on the passenger side do not. I get some air blowing
#from the side vents but it's not very cool and not very powerful.
#
#The heat blows like the devil himself is standing there.
#
#I know that the blend doors are a problem with the automatic dual
#control but I can't seem to find out anything on the manual control.
#
#How can I check if the doors are working? Do I need to remove the
#dash/glovebox just to check them? And if I do, can I use the fix that
#is sold on ebay?

I'm not sure if your issue is the same as mine, but I had a '99 WJ Laredo
that stopped pumping air all together. It turns out that the fresh air/
recirculated air door broke and fell on to the opening to the fan/blower
unit. I was lucky in that I was able just remove the glove bin, drop the
blower motor, and then put in a coathanger to prop up the door in the fresh
air position. Otherwise, the DC service manual said to remove the dash,
drain the AC gas, drain the coolant, disconect the AC and coolant lines
going to the HVAC system, remove the unit and open it up on a bench.

/herb
Old September 7th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:08:17 -0400, Barking Dog

http://www.tiny.cc/0UlOn

>If this link does not work, go to ebay and do a search for jeep blend door.
>
>I am wondering if anyone has used it and, if it was as easy as they say
>it is to do the repair and if it really does the job.
>
>Barking Dog

It sure looks like it would be worth a try. One thing I noticed on
the Ebay posting is the procedure to tell if you need a new blend door
before you purchase a repair kit.

Dick

Old September 9th 07, 06:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Herb Leong

In article >,
Barking Dog > wrote:
#Herb: the fix that I saw on ebay is called "HeaterTreater blend door AC
#heater FIX".
#
#http://www.tiny.cc/0UlOn
#
#
#If this link does not work, go to ebay and do a search for jeep blend door.
It looks like a decent aftermarket fix, but I have not tried it.

#I am wondering if anyone has used it and, if it was as easy as they say
#it is to do the repair and if it really does the job.
No idea, but since I have a limited, I'll probably find out sometime
in the future... =)

I would rather it had the 2nd set of gears and not have the doors locked
together, tho.

/herb

Old September 9th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy[_1_]

were you located?? i can do the work
i have a ac machine and extensive jeep experence on removing those dashes