DOH brakes!

Old September 6th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Default DOH brakes!

Zelix wrote:
> "c" wrote...
>> Zelix wrote:
>>> "DougW" wrote ...

>>> I changed the rear brakes in my 84 explorer with a buddy. It was
>>> the most painful experience of my life. There must be a trick to
>>> get those little springs on.

>> You did have the brake spring pliers, right?
>>
>> http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...-LIS11260.HTML

Heh.. I have one of those but couldn't find it.
I just used vice grips.

> Yes, evidently we didn't know how to use them properly. It was shear
> misery getting that last spring on.

I use the hook to walk the old spring off. Then the C notched
handle to put the new springs on. Just hook the spring over the
handle, hook the C over the big pin, then pry up till the
spring slides into place. Easier to show than to type. :/

The Cup is used to take the spring clips off the "nails" and to
install them back on. I use a purpose built driver for that.

--
DougW

Old September 6th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_5_]

DougW wrote:
> twaldron wrote:
>
>>DougW wrote:
>> > Drained out almost a full brake reservoir when pushing the pistons

>>back in.
>>
>>>Guess I should have bled them out then, but last time I tried that
>>>it was one hell of a mess. Easier just to squeeze the fluid back up.
>>>
>>>Now all I need to do is flush the system out. This time I'm going
>>>to pay a good local mechanic to flush the brake system. It's just
>>>too much of a pain to do it solo, even with a vac bleeder.
>>>

>>I just push the pistons back in and put the new pads on. Why do you
>>open up the system? Just the way I've always done discs, never had a
>>problem.

> It's one way of doing the job, you basically push the old fluid out
> and refill from the reservoir instead of having to suction off fluid
> when you push the pistons back in. It's much easier to push the piston
> back in also. Your basic hand pressure is enough.

Ok. I don't touch the master cylinder at all and just push the pistons
back in, leaving the system closed throughout the job. No muss, no fuss.

tw
Old September 7th 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:46:01 GMT, twaldron
> wrote:

>DougW wrote:
>> twaldron wrote:

>>>back in.

>>>I just push the pistons back in and put the new pads on. Why do you
>>>open up the system? Just the way I've always done discs, never had a
>>>problem.

>> It's one way of doing the job, you basically push the old fluid out
>> and refill from the reservoir instead of having to suction off fluid
>> when you push the pistons back in. It's much easier to push the piston
>> back in also. Your basic hand pressure is enough.
>>

>Ok. I don't touch the master cylinder at all and just push the pistons
>back in, leaving the system closed throughout the job. No muss, no fuss.
>
>tw

Yeah, untill you hit one where the guy at Jiffy Lube topped off the
m/c the day before. Then ya got brake fluid everywhere.
--
Old Crow "Yol Bolson!"
'82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl"

Old September 7th 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:20:06 -0500, "DougW"
> wrote:

>Zelix wrote:

>>> You did have the brake spring pliers, right?
>>>
>>> http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...-LIS11260.HTML

>Heh.. I have one of those but couldn't find it.
>I just used vice grips.
>
>> Yes, evidently we didn't know how to use them properly. It was shear
>> misery getting that last spring on.

>I use the hook to walk the old spring off. Then the C notched
>handle to put the new springs on. Just hook the spring over the
>handle, hook the C over the big pin, then pry up till the
>spring slides into place. Easier to show than to type. :/
>
>The Cup is used to take the spring clips off the "nails" and to
>install them back on. I use a purpose built driver for that.

Hate to tell you, but you're using them wrong. The"cup" is for taking
the top springs off the anchor pin. Put the cup over the pin, rotate
the pliers and the little tab on the cup hooks the spring and lifts it
over the end of the anchor pin.
--
Old Crow "Yol Bolson!"
'82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl"

Old September 7th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_5_]

Old Crow wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 22:46:01 GMT, twaldron
> > wrote:
>

>>DougW wrote:

>>>It's one way of doing the job, you basically push the old fluid out
>>>and refill from the reservoir instead of having to suction off fluid
>>>when you push the pistons back in. It's much easier to push the piston
>>>back in also. Your basic hand pressure is enough.
>>>

>>Ok. I don't touch the master cylinder at all and just push the pistons
>>back in, leaving the system closed throughout the job. No muss, no fuss.
>>
>>tw

> Yeah, untill you hit one where the guy at Jiffy Lube topped off the
> m/c the day before. Then ya got brake fluid everywhere.
> --
> Old Crow "Yol Bolson!"
> '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl"
> '95 YJ Rio Grande
> BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Psha! It's hard enough to get those guys to put _OIL_ back in the
motor...They're going to OPEN the master cylinder?? Hahahhaha! Funny.
But I do get your point.

tw
Old September 7th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Old Crow wrote:
> "DougW"> wrote:

>> The Cup is used to take the spring clips off the "nails" and to
>> install them back on. I use a purpose built driver for that.

> Hate to tell you, but you're using them wrong. The"cup" is for taking
> the top springs off the anchor pin. Put the cup over the pin, rotate
> the pliers and the little tab on the cup hooks the spring and lifts it
> over the end of the anchor pin.

doh, your correct. That's why I had to buy one of these for the clips.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...1964_483072023

And I still can't find my brake pliars. Don't ya hate it when tools
grow legs.....

--
DougW

Old September 7th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_5_]

DougW wrote:
> Old Crow wrote:
>
>>"DougW"> wrote:

>>>The Cup is used to take the spring clips off the "nails" and to
>>>install them back on. I use a purpose built driver for that.

>>Hate to tell you, but you're using them wrong. The"cup" is for taking
>>the top springs off the anchor pin. Put the cup over the pin, rotate
>>the pliers and the little tab on the cup hooks the spring and lifts it
>>over the end of the anchor pin.

> doh, your correct. That's why I had to buy one of these for the clips.
> http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...1964_483072023
>
> And I still can't find my brake pliars. Don't ya hate it when tools
> grow legs.....

They all have legs, that's why you put leashes on them. Give them an
inch.....

tw
Old September 7th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

http://revbeergoggles.com/temp/dabrakes-doh.jpg

Heh. The lower left is the worst point.
Of course at this thickness if they were
rivited the rivits would be grinding.

--
DougW

Old September 8th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_3153_]

Hi Doug,
And your kids grow up, and move away, and you lose that excuse.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old September 8th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:34:38 -0500, "DougW"
> wrote:

>Old Crow wrote:
>> "DougW"> wrote:

>>> The Cup is used to take the spring clips off the "nails" and to
>>> install them back on. I use a purpose built driver for that.

>> Hate to tell you, but you're using them wrong. The"cup" is for taking
>> the top springs off the anchor pin. Put the cup over the pin, rotate
>> the pliers and the little tab on the cup hooks the spring and lifts it
>> over the end of the anchor pin.

>doh, your correct. That's why I had to buy one of these for the clips.
>http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...1964_483072023
>
>And I still can't find my brake pliars. Don't ya hate it when tools
>grow legs.....

Yeah. Where I work now, my projects are spread between 2 buildings
and a parking area. Since I'm used to having 2 or 3 stalls within
walking distance of my toolbox this either means a lot of walking or
leaving tools spread out all over the place. I've worn out a bunch of
shoes in the last year and a half walking back and forth looking for
tools that I know I'm the only one who's used them.
This getting old **** sucks, I'm telling you.
--
Old Crow "Yol Bolson!"
'82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl"