DOH brakes!

Old September 8th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Default DOH brakes!

Old Crow wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:34:38 -0500, "DougW" wrote:

>> And I still can't find my brake pliars. Don't ya hate it when
>> tools grow legs.....

> Yeah. Where I work now, my projects are spread between 2 buildings
> and a parking area. Since I'm used to having 2 or 3 stalls within
> walking distance of my toolbox this either means a lot of walking or
> leaving tools spread out all over the place. I've worn out a bunch of
> shoes in the last year and a half walking back and forth looking for
> tools that I know I'm the only one who's used them.
> This getting old **** sucks, I'm telling you.

An excellent reason to buy more tools.

--
DougW

Old September 8th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

Zelix proclaimed:

> "DougW" > wrote in message
>
>>Well, knew it was time to work on the brakes and almost waited too long.
>>
>>Camera was at work, so let's go with ye olde time fambly style typovision.
>>

>>Removed rear drums, pads have about 2mm left on the worst shoe, adjustor
>>on
>>the left is frozen up with dust. Not a problem, easy fix, new spring kit,
>>clean everything, new pads. The adjustors jeep used are quite stout
>>units.
>>The old Chevy was stamped tin.
>>
>>That was unremarkable, just messy and time consuming with all the fiddly
>>bits and springs.
>>
>>So now on to the fronts. Got the pads, noted that they were thick and
>>got to thinking about just how much actually had worn off the fronts.
>>Dropped the left side and the outside pad had about 3mm. Ok.. that's
>>thin. Then I look at the inside pad. BUGGER! it only has 1mm of
>>surface left! (glad they were molded and not riveted) sheesh!
>>
>>Left side was about 3mm on both pads.
>>
>>Drained out almost a full brake reservoir when pushing the pistons back
>>in.
>>Guess I should have bled them out then, but last time I tried that it was
>>one hell of a mess. Easier just to squeeze the fluid back up.
>>
>>Now all I need to do is flush the system out. This time I'm going
>>to pay a good local mechanic to flush the brake system. It's just
>>too much of a pain to do it solo, even with a vac bleeder.
>>
>>--
>>DougW

> I changed the rear brakes in my 84 explorer with a buddy. It was the most
> painful experience of my life. There must be a trick to get those little
> springs on.

No but there are a coupla tools that make it easier.
I personally didnt care much for the beveled pucks on the Nissan Maxima
on the rear. Almost felt like welding them in place and putting on
bigger front brakes and a drag parachute for the rear.

Old September 8th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lon

DougW proclaimed:

> Old Crow wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 09:34:38 -0500, "DougW" wrote:

>>>And I still can't find my brake pliars. Don't ya hate it when
>>>tools grow legs.....

>>Yeah. Where I work now, my projects are spread between 2 buildings
>>and a parking area. Since I'm used to having 2 or 3 stalls within
>>walking distance of my toolbox this either means a lot of walking or
>>leaving tools spread out all over the place. I've worn out a bunch of
>>shoes in the last year and a half walking back and forth looking for
>>tools that I know I'm the only one who's used them.
>>This getting old **** sucks, I'm telling you.

> An excellent reason to buy more tools.

Yeah. You know you are really getting up there when you find yourself
checking out those "geezer model" socket sets at the local Sears with
the huge labels.
Old September 8th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Old Crow

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:31:29 -0600, Lon >
wrote:

>DougW proclaimed:
>
>> Old Crow wrote:

>>>Yeah. Where I work now, my projects are spread between 2 buildings
>>>and a parking area. Since I'm used to having 2 or 3 stalls within
>>>walking distance of my toolbox this either means a lot of walking or
>>>leaving tools spread out all over the place. I've worn out a bunch of
>>>shoes in the last year and a half walking back and forth looking for
>>>tools that I know I'm the only one who's used them.
>>>This getting old **** sucks, I'm telling you.

>> An excellent reason to buy more tools.
>>

>Yeah. You know you are really getting up there when you find yourself
>checking out those "geezer model" socket sets at the local Sears with
>the huge labels.

I warrantied a couple of Craftsman sockets a while back and the new
ones have the laser etched numbers on 'em. I don't like 'em, because
when the sockets are dirty it's extremely hard to see the numbers,
especilly through old eyes. I much preferred the stamped numbers.
--
Old Crow "Yol Bolson!"
'82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl"

Old September 8th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW[_2_]

Old Crow wrote:

> I warrantied a couple of Craftsman sockets a while back and the new
> ones have the laser etched numbers on 'em. I don't like 'em, because
> when the sockets are dirty it's extremely hard to see the numbers,
> especilly through old eyes. I much preferred the stamped numbers.

Noticed that myself. There isn't enough contrast to see the numbers.
Wonder if you could fill in the etching with a black sharpie...

--
DougW