Detroit Vs Japan

Old May 29th 05, 07:28 PM
Lon

RJ proclaimed:
> L.W.(ßill) Hughes III > wrote:
>

>> And what was wrong with these "Vega,

> A much shorter essay would be the list of what was right with the Vega.
>
> The car was a disaster from every dimension a car can be graded.

Actually much of what was wrong with the Vega had more to do with
excessive cost cutting, not the concept. The problems with stuff
falling off [e.g. carbs] were caused by intentionally leaving off
washers to save a few bucks. The concept of the aluminum engine
wasn't what was wrong, as Porsche used it very successfully on the
928, it was the crappily cheap cooling system that did much of the
damage. The Cosworth Vega was a good idea and a great car until
the damn GM bean counters turned it into a piece of overpriced
junk on wheels.

Old May 29th 05, 07:29 PM
Lon

RJ proclaimed:

> L.W.(ßill) Hughes III > wrote:
>

>> ONCE AGAIN, NOT ONE EXAMPLE!

> In addition to the badly engineered aluminum engine, the Vega was the
> worst rust bucket I ever saw.
>
> Second worst, by the way, was the full size Chevy Blazer.

The champions of that era were the Jaguar XKE with a body structure
perfectly designed to catch moisture...and the 911 Porsche which on
a quiet night you could actually hear corrode.
Old May 29th 05, 07:32 PM
Lon

Ruel Smith proclaimed:

> RJ wrote:
>

>>In addition to the badly engineered aluminum engine, the Vega was the
>>worst rust bucket I ever saw.
>>
>>Second worst, by the way, was the full size Chevy Blazer

> Man... Those Japanese cars from that same era, especially the Datsuns,
> rusted pretty easily and pretty badly.

Yup. The big difference was the steel. You could cut an american
steel body with just an ordinary hardened steel bit in a Dremel. The
darned Datsun steel was so hard you needed carbide bits. That
hardness was not a good thing...made them very brittle and a true
bitch to undent.

Old May 29th 05, 07:34 PM
Lon

Well, the 8-4-2 wasn't the best engine ever put into production. As
for the diesel, simply not strong enough bottom end for the crap most
drivers tried to do to them. Still not as dumb an idea as the early
911T that had an external oil filler...about where you'd expect to
find the gas tank filler.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Old May 29th 05, 07:40 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well witches are not in my Bible, First Presbyterian:
http://www.billhughes.com/dogtag.jpg What are you, Muslim? My wish is to
send all you and your kind, Al-Qa'ida Jihad to Allah
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 29th 05, 07:47 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

LOL. Ruel, sounds Iranian, he'd fit right in San Diego.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 29th 05, 07:57 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Let me put gasoline into any diesel car of your choice and you see
what happens. Plus the people weren't use to changing the filter twice
as often, as their gas engines. You try and find a '80 Mercedes diesel
still on the road. Of course there are plenty of Ford gas engines:
http://www.billhughes.com/smog.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 29th 05, 09:38 PM
Dave Milne

nah, the Alfa Sud beat both of them easily.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old May 29th 05, 09:53 PM
Dave Milne

blimey, what version are you using Bill ?

Exodus 22:18

American Standard Version "Thou shalt not suffer a sorceress to live."
The Answer: Put to death any woman who does evil magic.
Amplified Bible: You shall not allow a woman to live who practices sorcery.
Good News Version: Put to death any woman who practices magic.
James Moffatt Translation: You shall not allow any sorceress to live.
Jerusalem Bible: You shall not allow a sorceress to live.
King James Version: Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
Living Bible: A sorceress shall be put to death.
Modern Language Bible: Allow no sorceress to live.
New American Bible: You shall not let a sorceress live.
New American Standard Bible: You shall not let a sorceress live.
New Century Version: Put to death any woman who does evil magic.
New International Version: Do not allow a sorceress to live.
New Living Translation: A sorceress must not be allowed to live.
New Revised Standard Version: You shall not permit a female sorcerer to
live.
New World Translation: You must not preserve a sorceress alive.
The Promise: Contemporary English Version: Death is the punishment for
witchcraft.
Revised Standard Version: You shall not permit a sorceress to live.
Revised English Bible: You must not allow a witch to live.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old May 29th 05, 10:55 PM
Nathan W. Collier

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" > wrote in message
> LOL. Ruel, sounds Iranian, he'd fit right in San Diego.

i was actually trying to help the guy with a bit of friendly reality.
hopefully he'll figure it out eventually.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com