Transmission Failure

Old October 2nd 04, 04:45 AM
Vito

Default Transmission Failure

I have a 2002 Jetta Gls w/ a tiptronic transmission. I have had
numerous problems with this car. The ignition coils, pass. side
window, sunroof motor, A/c,and a few more. Recently my car has
suffered a catastrophic transmission failure.
Driving on the highway with 52,000 miles (mostly highway miles)on the
odometer, my car unexpectedly started reving really high. In an
instant later, all of the shift indicators were highlighted e.g.
PRND32. At this point the engine was reving a little bit lower, but
acceleration lagged severely. I pulled over and checked everything
under the hood, (nothing smoking/leaking)and started the car back up.
I tryed to go through all of the gears and noticed that all I had was
park, reverse, neutral, and regular D. It wouldn't shift into any
lower gear. I could put it in tip mode, but all it would let me use
was 4th gear.
The dealer is currently replacing the trans, but is taking forever. I
was just wondering if anyone else out there is dealing with this.
Old October 2nd 04, 12:18 PM
Woodchuck

Very rare to have something like that happen. We replace very few trans in
newer VW's so don't worry... be happy.

om...

Old October 3rd 04, 03:25 AM
Vito

It makes me wonder what kind of jacked up quality control system VW is using!??
Old October 3rd 04, 01:20 PM
Woodchuck

You expect to buy a car and nothing ever break? VW like every other auto
maker doesn't live in a dream world! The same goes for light bulbs, consumer
electronics, and everything else made. That's what warranty is for... to
cover short comings. I have light bulbs in my house and some last years and
others only last months. Is that a poor "jacked up quality control system "
too?

om...

Old October 4th 04, 03:21 AM

Woodchuck wrote:
"Vito" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>It makes me wonder what kind of jacked up quality control system VW is
>>using!??

> You expect to buy a car and nothing ever break? VW like every other auto
> maker doesn't live in a dream world! The same goes for light bulbs,

consumer
> electronics, and everything else made. That's what warranty is for... to
> cover short comings. I have light bulbs in my house and some last

years and
> others only last months. Is that a poor "jacked up quality control

system "
> too?

Funny. We hear of one single user with a problem and it's a jacked up
system.

damn.

TBerk
Old October 5th 04, 07:22 PM
William Maslin

In article > ,
T > wrote:

> Woodchuck wrote:
> "Vito" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >
> >>It makes me wonder what kind of jacked up quality control system VW is
> >>using!??

> > You expect to buy a car and nothing ever break? VW like every other auto
> > maker doesn't live in a dream world! The same goes for light bulbs,

> consumer
> > electronics, and everything else made. That's what warranty is for... to
> > cover short comings. I have light bulbs in my house and some last

> years and
> > others only last months. Is that a poor "jacked up quality control

> system "
> > too?
> >

> Funny. We hear of one single user with a problem and it's a jacked up
> system.

FWIW, the guy down the hall bought a brand new Camry about three years
ago, and the transmission conked out and had to be replaced within the
first year. So even the vaunted Toyota quality isn't bulletproof.

Still, VW DOES need to work on Jetta quality issues. My daughter's 2003
1.8T Tip Jetta has cold start problems, the bass knob keeps falling off
the Monsoon, the gas guage reads about 1/4 tank high, the armrest catch
is broken (not sure what she means by that one), and the ring on the
keyless module is broken. All items to be dealt with at the next
service visit which I am confident will be fixed. These are really
component quality problems, not assembly quality issues, but still...

Bill

--

Take out the invalid if replying by email
Old October 5th 04, 09:02 PM
Paul

The problems that you state are mostly all addressed by various bulletins
issued by VW - Cold start misfires can be corrected by an ECM reflash, the
bass knobs have been updated (all 4 will be replaced), the fuel gauge can be
adjusted with the scan tool, the armrest catch will be replaced (if it's the
storage compartment latch) or repaired (if it's the ratcheting part), and
the broken RKE transmitter is a common failure, new remotes come with an
updated swivel. So, even though there are issues, VW is making an effort to
correct them.

Old October 5th 04, 10:24 PM
Woodchuck

Are you sure it was a Toyota? Everyone says they never break down... just
like Honda!

Old October 6th 04, 08:38 PM
Rob Guenther

You apparantly never even need to do an oil change on them either (it's a
sealed system so WHY would you?....) - the owners even say "NEVER" has been
to a shop to confirm this!