'87 water leak question

Old January 24th 05, 07:46 PM
SVTKate

*EHM*
You found a little weed under the carpet?

*WEG*
and you didn't dry it out and smoke it?

(snikker, giggle)

Kate

Old January 24th 05, 10:24 PM
Mark C.

No, I found a little weed growing out of the carpet. Lucky me. I may have to
pull the whole dash apart to find where the leak is coming from. It's going
into the cowl and dripping, or running I should say down the firewall in the
right front corner. It's coming from behind the heater plenum. Doh! I guess
I needed to replace the heater core anyway. It's clogged up so all I get
from the heater is lukewarm air.

--
Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple)

ink.net...

Old January 24th 05, 10:30 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Mark C. opined in :

> No, I found a little weed growing out of the carpet. Lucky me. I may
> have to pull the whole dash apart to find where the leak is coming from.
> It's going into the cowl and dripping, or running I should say down the
> firewall in the right front corner. It's coming from behind the heater
> plenum. Doh! I guess I needed to replace the heater core anyway. It's
> clogged up so all I get from the heater is lukewarm air.

Look close around the main (ECM) wiring harness grommet... if it's been out
for any reason that often causes these problems.

Old January 25th 05, 02:19 AM
Mark C.

Doesn't the main ECU harness enter through the firewall? I checked it and
theres a crack in the grommet but there's no water coming from it. I'll
either have to pull the dash apart or remove the right front fender. I
noticed a small crack between the firewall and the right inner fender apron
under the hood. There's also another crack and a bit of distortion on the
top of the apron more towards the front of the car making me suspect that
there's been a fender bender in it's history and it's causing the leak
between the cowl and the pax compartment. This is actually a common place
for leaks in older mustangs where the factory gunk sealing the cowl starts
to crack and allow water into the pax compartment. People often mis-diagnose
this as being a leaky widshield seal. I've never pulled a fender on a 5.0.
Is it more difficult than removing the dash?

Old January 25th 05, 02:50 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Mark C. opined in :

> Doesn't the main ECU harness enter through the firewall? I checked it
> and theres a crack in the grommet but there's no water coming from it.
> I'll either have to pull the dash apart or remove the right front
> fender. I noticed a small crack between the firewall and the right inner
> fender apron under the hood. There's also another crack and a bit of
> distortion on the top of the apron more towards the front of the car
> making me suspect that there's been a fender bender in it's history and
> it's causing the leak between the cowl and the pax compartment. This is
> actually a common place for leaks in older mustangs where the factory
> gunk sealing the cowl starts to crack and allow water into the pax
> compartment. People often mis-diagnose this as being a leaky widshield
> seal. I've never pulled a fender on a 5.0. Is it more difficult than
> removing the dash?

Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post... why I suggested the grommet.

Depending on rust, etc... the fenders are easy, IMO... just scribe several
places and keep {any} shims in order.

Good time to close-inspect your door hinges while you're at it.