Finally, California drivers can read a cell phone map (iPad too?)

Old March 15th 14, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
T0m $herman

Default Finally, California drivers can read a cell phone map (iPad too?)

On 3/10/2014 3:30 PM, Your Name wrote:
> You're never going to convince the idiot brigade that removing any
> unnecessary distraction which reduces accidents is a good thing ...
> just look at the moronic stupidity of continuing to allow public gun
> use in America despite the ever increasing number of school / mall
> shooting sprees.:-\
>
> The idiot brigade simply wants to do whatever they want to do, and
> couldn't care less about anyone else ... until they are the ones
> experiencing the problem (e.g. a son dies in a car smash), and then
> they instantly change sides and campaign for a ban.

The idiot brigade only thinks about their own safety when driving (and I
use the term "driving" loosely), and never about the safety of other
road users.

As I tell people who ask "Isn't riding a motorcycle dangerous?"; "No, it
is much less dangerous to other road users than if I drove my truck
instead."

--
T0m $herm@n
Old March 15th 14, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
T0m $herman

On 3/11/2014 1:27 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2014-03-11, Lewis > wrote:
>>
>> If you drive 55mph where the flow of traffic is 70mph then *you* are a
>> hazard. Many of those idiots you see are trying to avoid an
>> un-anticipated impediment.

> Depends very much on the circumstance. What if the speed limit is 55?
> What if there are multiple flows of traffic - some obeying the speed
> limit, and others not? Very often, I'll be driving with cruise control
> set to 55-60 in the middle lane of a 3-lane highway where the posted
> speed limit is 55, where most of the cars around me are doing similar

Why are you not in the right lane if going slower than traffic?

> speeds (again, around 55-60), and a group of cars (usually anywhere from
> 2 to 6 cars) will come up from behind driving significantly faster than
> 55 (sometimes 15-25 miles faster (yes: 75-85 mph in a 55), speeding much
> faster than the traffic around me), usually with one or two idiots
> leading the pack in some sort of apparent race to see who can get
> wherever faster. Inevitably one or more drivers in the speeding group
> gets upset that the drivers in my group are "in their way", usually in
> various lanes (almost never just the left lane), and start tailgating
> and using aggressive and fast lane switching maneuvers in all three
> lanes, often making double-lane-switches without signalling within a few
> feet of other cars and pulling other dangerous stunts to get past these
> "slow" drivers that are imposing such an inconvenience on their little
> racing game as quickly as possible, safety be damned. In such a
> situation, I'd typically like to gradually decrease my speed, and make
> safe lane changes to the right to get as far away from the idiots as
> possible, if and when such opportunities safely become available.
> Unfortunately, very often, due to the tailgating aggressive behavior of
> the speeding group, there isn't a good opportunity to do that until
> *after* they've finished making their dangerous maneuvers and sped on
> past.

You are not paying enough attention if this is the case.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old March 15th 14, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
T0m $herman

On 3/12/2014 12:53 AM, Your Name wrote:
> I said "some places". There's also a variety of other reasons for
> perhaps not moving over to the "slower" lanes ... including all the
> impatient morons zooming up behind you, changing lanes and passing you
> on the "wrong side".

Your paragraph makes no sense. Staying in the right lane (left lane for
most of the Commonwealth and Japan) means the faster traffic will
naturally overtake on the correct side. Works in Northern Europe, where
the police *will* ticket you for blocking the inside lane.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old March 15th 14, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
T0m $herman

On 3/12/2014 1:02 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> Can you read? As I stated above initially, they pass a*bunch* of people
> in*multiple* lanes, using dangerous maneuvers to do so. You could be in
> the right lane driving at the same speed as everyone around you and in
> the next few minutes find that another pack of cars has surrounded
> everyone around you with people cutting in front of you or tail gating
> you*in the right lane* just to get around other cars around you.
> Apparently you think this is justified behavior and the danger is created
> not by the people making the dangerous maneuvers, but by everyone but
> them. Again, I really have to wonder about your own personal driving
> habits.

People that tailgate others in the outside lane should have their
driving privilege revoked. But those who also refuse to yield the
inside lane to faster traffic should also be banned from using motor
vehicles.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old March 15th 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
T0m $herman

On 3/12/2014 12:42 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> They stick to the left lane going way faster than everyone else, and
> then after tailgating someone in the left lane for a while and getting
> all ****y that people aren't getting out of their way since they own the
> road, they swerve in front of other drivers in the right lane to pass. I
> see it happen a lot, yep.

Richard Petty was right - bumper tapping people blocking the passing
lane is acceptable behavior.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old March 15th 14, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
T0m $herman

On 3/12/2014 1:46 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> Straw man. Fail. I never said that at all. As I said, I rarely visit the
> left lane, except to pass. It's often some other poor schmuck who I see
> getting tail gated in the left lane. And you are still ignoring all the
> other bad behavior I outlined. Wonder why?

Not a poor schmuck, but either a blithering idiot or arsehole for
blocking the passing lane. Go to Germany and try that on the Autobahn,
and you will soon be escorted to the side of the road by the police, who
will then issue you a citation with a hefty fine.

The passing lane blockers are more dangerous than the fast drivers, all
else being equal.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old March 15th 14, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
T0m $herman

On 3/12/2014 8:48 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> Riiight, because people*never* drive dangerously unless someone else is
> forcing them to drive dangerously. You're a ****ing idiot if this is
> what you truly believe. If you practice what you preach, then you're
> also one of the ass hats doing the dangerous driving. Do everyone a
> favor and stop driving, **** wad.

You are a self-righteous fool who knows nothing about proper driving.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old March 15th 14, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Arif Khokar

On 03/15/2014 01:50 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
> As I tell people who ask "Isn't riding a motorcycle dangerous?"; "No, it
> is much less dangerous to other road users than if I drove my truck
> instead."

Are you implying that you're a terrible driver?
Old March 15th 14, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Don Kirkman

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:16:29 -0500, "T0m $herman"
> wrote:

>On 3/12/2014 1:46 AM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>> Straw man. Fail. I never said that at all. As I said, I rarely visit the
>> left lane, except to pass. It's often some other poor schmuck who I see
>> getting tail gated in the left lane. And you are still ignoring all the
>> other bad behavior I outlined. Wonder why?

>Not a poor schmuck, but either a blithering idiot or arsehole for
>blocking the passing lane. Go to Germany and try that on the Autobahn,
>and you will soon be escorted to the side of the road by the police, who
>will then issue you a citation with a hefty fine.

The Autobahn and other superhighways are only a small fraction of the
total highway systems real people have to navigate every day. The
conditions differ, road conditions differ, speed limits and legal
requirements differ. It's like comparing Amazon to your local
neighborhood store.
--
Don Kirkman

Old March 15th 14, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,comp.mobile.android,comp.mobile.ipad
Your Name[_2_]

In article >, DevilsPGD
> wrote:

> In the last episode of >, Your
> Name > said:
>
> >I have never seen such a system in any car, including Hyundai models,
> >that I've ever driven or been in. A Google search does seem to indicate
> >that it does exist though.

> You should look closer. I went through a phase a couple years ago where
> my girlfriend and I rented a car every 1-2 months, virtually all had
> some degree of automatic volume control.

Maybe it's just another of those "lazy American" things ;-) and not
available (yet) in the real world.