Rich Exahust (gas Smell) in 93 lumina 3.1

Old July 1st 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bsquared

Default Rich Exahust (gas Smell) in 93 lumina 3.1

I have a 93 Lumina Euro 3.1 with rich smelling exahust created by
runnig way too rich.
Exahust is black in color and has an almost in between gas/vinegar
odor. Low power seems like it is runing on two cylinders. Some more
background engine has been locked up. However, compression is still
seemingly fine acording to haynes manual 115-120 PSI on first comp
stroke. After unseizing engine it ran fine for a few months delivering
mail on a rural route (yikes!). Catalytic converter has been suspect
and eliminated.
Trouble Codes:
15: Colant Sensor low (Replaced)
23: IAT Sensor in this model (Replaced)
35: Idle Speed error replace IAC (Replaced)
43: Electronic Spark Control/Knock Sensor
(Replaced)
53: EGR Valve (Not Replaced but cleaned and new
gaskets noo longer
Leaking)

Also new plugs, wires and coils.

Also two weeks ago i was cheking the ignition system control module
with test in haynes manual and all cheks out. After doing that I
cleaned up the spark pulgs again (they foul in about ten minuteswith
carbon) I hooked everything up and started it and it ran fine for two
hours thourgh various performance ranges. Next morning pull #2 Plug and
it looked cleaner than when I put it in the night before, put it back
and try to start and same problem starts again running rough and rich
exhaust. Talked to some one who works at
ford as a mechaninc and he said try the O2 sensor. I did and no change.
I have tried to eliminate as many possibilites as I can but this seems
to be and intermitant problem (our favorite kind) and like that friday
evening if the stars are all alinged (which has nothing to do with it )
she runs. Any more suggestions.

Old July 1st 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Larry A. Crites

Lumina is a Chebby, not a Chrysler.

Larry
Behold Beware Believe

oups.com...

Old July 2nd 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
philthy[_1_]

oinched wires under the intake or a bda injector and they can and do shut
down pcm so the won't run a long time or are very hard starting

Old July 3rd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
streblo

Hi. I had this rich smelling exhaust plus lack of power problem on my
87 Reliant. After trying a few things I replaced the MAP sensor and the
problem reverted incredibly. Exhaust is normal now, power is too and
mileage doubled in a blink of an eye.

I had no clue pointing to the MAP sensor, but 'fortunatey' it stop
working completely so I the car wouldn't start if the sensor was
connected. Therefore I had to replace it and realised that this was the
problem.

Good luck..
Claudio

bsquared wrote:
> I have a 93 Lumina Euro 3.1 with rich smelling exahust created by
> runnig way too rich.
> Exahust is black in color and has an almost in between gas/vinegar
> odor. Low power seems like it is runing on two cylinders. Some more
> background engine has been locked up. However, compression is still
> seemingly fine acording to haynes manual 115-120 PSI on first comp
> stroke. After unseizing engine it ran fine for a few months delivering
> mail on a rural route (yikes!). Catalytic converter has been suspect
> and eliminated.
> Trouble Codes:
> 15: Colant Sensor low (Replaced)
> 23: IAT Sensor in this model (Replaced)
> 35: Idle Speed error replace IAC (Replaced)
> 43: Electronic Spark Control/Knock Sensor
> (Replaced)
> 53: EGR Valve (Not Replaced but cleaned and new
> gaskets noo longer
> Leaking)
>
> Also new plugs, wires and coils.
>
> Also two weeks ago i was cheking the ignition system control module
> with test in haynes manual and all cheks out. After doing that I
> cleaned up the spark pulgs again (they foul in about ten minuteswith
> carbon) I hooked everything up and started it and it ran fine for two
> hours thourgh various performance ranges. Next morning pull #2 Plug and
> it looked cleaner than when I put it in the night before, put it back
> and try to start and same problem starts again running rough and rich
> exhaust. Talked to some one who works at
> ford as a mechaninc and he said try the O2 sensor. I did and no change.
> I have tried to eliminate as many possibilites as I can but this seems
> to be and intermitant problem (our favorite kind) and like that friday
> evening if the stars are all alinged (which has nothing to do with it )
> she runs. Any more suggestions.

Problem with clutch - bad smell.....Any ideas? [email protected] Technology 13 March 12th 06 11:28 PM
1992 730 - Smell of petrol SteveG BMW 16 August 4th 05 05:38 AM
Burning Smell Near Rear Tires? [email protected] Technology 3 July 4th 05 04:29 AM
DTC: P0172 System too Rich on '01 Jetta 1.8T Mike Brophy VW water cooled 9 February 3rd 05 06:03 AM
lately, Cypriene never calls until Maify teases the rich pickle partially Ugly Democrat Technology 0 January 14th 05 10:25 PM