'89 door top trim

Old May 28th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Fred[_9_]

Default '89 door top trim

Hi

On my '89 2dr hatchback there are these metal trim moldings on the
outside top of both doors. On mine there used to be some sort of black
plastic
finish on them. This plastic has deteriorated and I peeled it off on the
worst side. What is left looks to be a standard aluminum trim that I was
thinking of painting. It would make painting easier if I could get the trim
pieces off. What sort of tool do I need?

Thanks
Fred
89 LX 5.0 Hatchback

Old June 3rd 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Fred[_9_]

I guess not too many here know about these things. I'll see what
I can find on google

Fred

. net...

Old June 3rd 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Fred wrote:
> I guess not too many here know about these things. I'll see what
> I can find on google
>
> Fred
>
> "Fred" > wrote in message
> . net...
>> Hi
>>
>> On my '89 2dr hatchback there are these metal trim moldings on the
>> outside top of both doors. On mine there used to be some sort of black
>> plastic
>> finish on them. This plastic has deteriorated and I peeled it off on the
>> worst side. What is left looks to be a standard aluminum trim that I was
>> thinking of painting. It would make painting easier if I could get the
>> trim
>> pieces off. What sort of tool do I need?

If I remember correctly, I think there is a screw securing the trim
piece on one end and it clips into place otherwise. I painted mine
before they were too far gone along with the middle trim pieces and the
quarter glass trim. They have held up well but I keep the car in a
garage too.
Old June 5th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Fred[_9_]

Hi Mike

Thanks for the tip. I will look for a screw before I start
prying on it! The other trim pieces are also very rough. I
would have to either get them off and sand down the plastic,
peel off the rough plastic, or paint them in place.

Mine has never been garaged.

Fred

Old June 5th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Fred, one trick I used that seems to have worked well is to use a clear
coat aerosol primer first. I would sand the trim finish then spray a
coat of clear primer then repeat as needed until there was a smooth
finish. I did this with all the trim pieces. I never removed the
particles from sanding because it filled the pits and the primer would
locked it in place. You can do this using finer and finer sand paper
and end up with a very smooth finish for painting. This also builds up
the finish on the trim to make it look more like a new stock piece and
it makes the trim pieces match better, IMO.

You can also use the same technique for the quarter window trim to very
good effect. Just tape everything off good and do it over several days
to give plenty of drying time between coats.