JTS 2 lt engine oil query

Old February 27th 05, 05:02 PM
Helena Helena is offline
Junior Member

Default JTS 2 lt engine oil query

Hi,

I just checked the oil level on my car and found it low. I want to top up before I use the car again, as it was below the minimum mark. Does anybody know which oil I should be using? PLEASE?!!

The car is a 2lt JTS, 02 plate, petrol model.

Also, as this is a top up, and I don't even know what oil was used before (by Alfa dealers in Amersham), what risks am I running if I mix part synthetic with fully synthetic?

It's Sunday and everywhere is closed.......

Any help will be gratefully received.

Thank you ,

Helena
Old February 27th 05, 06:29 PM
Simon Mason

"Helena" > wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I just checked the oil level on my car and found it low. I want to top
> up before I use the car again, as it was below the minimum mark. Does
> anybody know which oil I should be using? PLEASE?!!

You should use an oil that has the same specification as the oil in your
handbook. In my handbook for my 156 it states the oil must have a viscosity
of SAE 10W40 and meet the spec of API-SJ or ACEA A3-96. Any brand that meets
those two criteria will do. It will say on the oil container what the
viscosity is and also what API or ACEA spec it is.

In practice you can vary the viscosity to suit local conditions and the type
of driving you do, but if you are unsure, it's best to stick to the
handbook. Garages are open all the time selling oil.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old February 28th 05, 11:08 AM

Does
> > anybody know which oil I should be using? PLEASE?!!

You really should find out what oil is in it and use the same type,
mixing oil types is not a good idea, specially if full synth has been
used.

Old March 1st 05, 11:09 AM
Helena Helena is offline
Junior Member

Thanks to the people who replied. I was able to get through to my garage early the next morning and ascertain that my car uses 10/40 synthetic.

Thanks again.

Helena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena