Timing Chain ('99 SL 102 K mi)

Old June 7th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_6_]

Default Timing Chain ('99 SL 102 K mi)

Hi, all!
It seems to me that I used to see recommendations to change the timing chain at about 100,000 miles, whether it
seems to need it or not, as there is no way to tell if it is about to fail. But recently the consensus seems to be that
timing chains should last the life of the engine if the car is properly maintained. Any thoughts about which way to go,
specifically for a '99 SL with about 102,000 miles (approx 1/3 city 2/3 interstate) and manual transaxle, that has had
all regularly scheduled maintenance (with the exception of going to about 4000 between oil changes four of five times)
by Saturn dealership maintenance dept? I'm inclined to go for it, as I want this car to use this car until it
disintegrates.

Old June 7th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James and Jenn

Change it change it change it, if and they do go can be VERY costly to fix,
so suck it up and do it!!!!!!

Old June 7th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Kevin

Steve wrote:
> Hi, all!
> It seems to me that I used to see recommendations to change the timing chain at about 100,000 miles, whether it
> seems to need it or not, as there is no way to tell if it is about to fail.

Before the chain fails, it will be very noisy. If there are no strange
noises coming from the front of the engine, leave it alone.

I replaced the front cover on a '95 SL1 that had 130k on it, and then
replaced the head on it at 148k (the infamous casting flaw finally
showed up). This car was neglected most of its life (my friend was
really, really bad about checking the oil, and ran it with the bad head
for about a month). It wasn't unusual for it to be run with less than 2
quarts of oil for prolonged periods. (it wasn't my car, I just did the
work on it when I discovered she was in danger of killing the car).

Even at 148k miles of neglect/abusive driving, the chain was still well
within specs. The car was recently traded in at 170k, still on the
original chain.

--
Kevin M. Keller
Director, News & Promotions
Old June 8th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

I wouldn't be concerned about the chain until it gets noisey. You will
know it when it begins to make noise.

It will make noise for a long time before it causes any damage. Once
it makes noise, I would get it changed ASAP.

James

timing chain punxyguy Saturn 7 April 27th 06 03:28 AM
Timing chain? wannabe_mechanic Saturn 10 November 8th 04 05:20 AM
Saturn SL1 1998 - Timing chain or Timing belt ? CD Saturn 1 November 3rd 04 12:47 AM
Saturn SL1 1998 - Timing Chain or Timing Belt? CD Saturn 0 November 3rd 04 12:35 AM
99 sw-2 Timing Chain john reil Saturn 6 October 14th 04 01:44 PM