clutch problem on alfa 155

Old November 1st 04, 09:30 PM
ray

Default clutch problem on alfa 155

Hello.

I guess my old Alfa is getting in trouble :

when using the clutch pedal (the left one if the dictionnary was
right...) it is loose for half the course and then works perfectly so i
can change gear.

the problem is that i assume something is wrong.

could someone tell me if i must fill some oil somewhere in the car and
where exactly if possible.

thanx
Old November 2nd 04, 06:56 AM
Vlaho

ray,
it's gonna get even worse - have your alfa in for servicing ASAP!
the problem is either with the hose feeding the clutch pump with
hydraulic fluid or the pump itself.
it might be that the hose rubber seals are all worn out and its feeding
the clutch pump with air as well - that shouldn't be happening at all!
had absolutely the same prob with my 156 1.8ts - and it was the hose!
fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.
good luck!

vlaho

Old November 9th 04, 08:07 PM
K3

"ray" > wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I guess my old Alfa is getting in trouble :
>
> when using the clutch pedal (the left one if the dictionnary was right...)
> it is loose for half the course and then works perfectly so i can change
> gear.
>
> the problem is that i assume something is wrong.
>
> could someone tell me if i must fill some oil somewhere in the car and
> where exactly if possible.
>
> thanx

Hi

Can't offer you any specific help but there is a forum in the UK dedicated
to the 155.
It is at www.alfa155.org and anyone from any country is welcome. I am sure
someone will have suffered the same problem and will be able to help you
out.

K3

Old November 10th 04, 10:36 AM
Tom Boltwood

And of course www.alfaowner.com

Old November 14th 04, 12:43 PM

ray > wrote in message >...
> Hello.
>
> I guess my old Alfa is getting in trouble :
>
> when using the clutch pedal (the left one if the dictionnary was
> right...) it is loose for half the course and then works perfectly so i
> can change gear.
>
> the problem is that i assume something is wrong.
>
> could someone tell me if i must fill some oil somewhere in the car and
> where exactly if possible.
>
> thanx

Hi Ray,
It sounds like you have got air into the system, check the brake fluid
reservoir, to make sure it has enough fluid, if it has got too low you
could have pulled air into the when for instance, while cornering and
braking at the same time. Or,if you have pressed the pedal a couple of
times while standing on a hill.
It is not a big job to bleed brakes, and a good mechanic would do the
job in 1/2 an hour. Mind you if your fluid is low, you should check
why it is low. Check below the master cylinder for leaks, and the
slave cylinder, then check each caliper. These checks you could do
before handing the car to a garage, then they cannot say they have
changed parts that are OK.
John,UK.
Old November 14th 04, 01:01 PM

ray > wrote in message >...
> Hello.
>
> I guess my old Alfa is getting in trouble :
>
> when using the clutch pedal (the left one if the dictionnary was
> right...) it is loose for half the course and then works perfectly so i
> can change gear.
>
> the problem is that i assume something is wrong.
>
> could someone tell me if i must fill some oil somewhere in the car and
> where exactly if possible.
>
> thanx

Hi again Ray,
Sorry about talking about your brakes, I realised later you wanted
info on your clutch. As it happens the same checks go for the clutch,
you only need to check the master cylinder, then the slave cylinder
for leaks. Bleeding these only takes minutes for any garage.
John, UK.