Ignition Coil

Old January 31st 07, 05:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default Ignition Coil

Is it possible to fry an ignition coil by plugging the ignition wires
in the wrong order? I'm running out of ideas out to why my car won't
start since I changed the ignition wires. I accidentely pulled out
all the old ones at the sametime instead of replacing them one by
one. I tried figuring out where they plugged into the distrubutor
cap
was probably wrong several times until I bought a TDC whistle. I'm
pretty certain they are in order now since I know the firing order
and
which way the rotor turns. This is a 1981 BMW 320i if that makes a
difference. Thanks!

Old January 31st 07, 09:15 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
> wrote:
> Is it possible to fry an ignition coil by plugging the ignition wires in
> the wrong order? I'm running out of ideas out to why my car won't start
> since I changed the ignition wires. I accidentely pulled out all the
> old ones at the sametime instead of replacing them one by one. I tried
> figuring out where they plugged into the distrubutor cap was probably
> wrong several times until I bought a TDC whistle.

Most unlikely you've done damage.

> I'm pretty certain they are in order now since I know the firing order
> and which way the rotor turns. This is a 1981 BMW 320i if that makes a
> difference. Thanks!

You do realise there are two TDC points for each cylinder - only one of
these being at the firing point?

You don't need a TDC 'whistle' to find this - just take the plugs out and
put a finger over the hole and turn the engine - you'll feel the
compression stroke. Then use the timing marks for an accurate setting.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old January 31st 07, 10:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dodgy

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:15:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
> waffled on about something:

>In article .com>,
> > wrote:
>> Is it possible to fry an ignition coil by plugging the ignition wires in
>> the wrong order? I'm running out of ideas out to why my car won't start
>> since I changed the ignition wires. I accidentely pulled out all the
>> old ones at the sametime instead of replacing them one by one. I tried
>> figuring out where they plugged into the distrubutor cap was probably
>> wrong several times until I bought a TDC whistle.

>Most unlikely you've done damage.

Seconded. The most impressive thing I've seen it cause is some good
backfires and the occasional belch of flame out of the top of a
carburetor! (Not recommended!)

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old January 31st 07, 01:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
PaulG

On Jan 31, 4:14 am, Dodgy > wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:15:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
> > waffled on about something:
>
> >In article .com>,
> > > wrote:
> >> Is it possible to fry an ignition coil by plugging the ignition wires in
> >> the wrong order? I'm running out of ideas out to why my car won't start
> >> since I changed the ignition wires. I accidentely pulled out all the
> >> old ones at the sametime instead of replacing them one by one. I tried
> >> figuring out where they plugged into the distrubutor cap was probably
> >> wrong several times until I bought a TDC whistle.

> >Most unlikely you've done damage.

> Seconded. The most impressive thing I've seen it cause is some good
> backfires and the occasional belch of flame out of the top of a
> carburetor! (Not recommended!)
>
> Dodgy.
> --
> MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Okay, thanks for the replies. I didn't think it was possible to kill
the coil that way. I'm just an idiot and probably used the wrong TDC
point. I did try to stick my finger down there before though.

Old January 31st 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dodgy

On 31 Jan 2007 05:38:16 -0800, "PaulG" > waffled on
about something:

>On Jan 31, 4:14 am, Dodgy > wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:15:26 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
>> > waffled on about something:
>>
>> >In article .com>,

>> >Most unlikely you've done damage.

>> Seconded. The most impressive thing I've seen it cause is some good
>> backfires and the occasional belch of flame out of the top of a
>> carburetor! (Not recommended!)
>>
>> Dodgy.
>> --
>> MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

>Okay, thanks for the replies. I didn't think it was possible to kill
>the coil that way. I'm just an idiot and probably used the wrong TDC
>point. I did try to stick my finger down there before though.

I usually hold a drinking straw down the plug hole and turn the bottom
pulley with a big socket and bar to get #1 at the top. Other method is
put car in highest gear, jack a driven wheel off the ground (chock and
support it safely) and then get someone to turn the lifted wheel as
you watch the straw.

Remember the piston will come to the top once for top dead centre
(when it should get a spark) and once for the top of the exhaust
stroke. Suck(down), Squeeze(up), (bang)Power stroke(down),
exhaust(up).

Assuming you're got the leads plugged into the dizzy cap in the
correct order 1,3,4,2 for a 4 cylinder and 1,5,3,6,2,4 for a 6
cylinder.

For a 4 cylinder - If you have #1 cylinder up the top the rotor arm
should be pointing to #1 if you really have the firing stroke (TDC),
or #4 if you've got the top of the exhaust stroke.

For a 6 cylinder - If you have #1 cylinder up the top the rotor arm
should be pointing to #1 if you really have the firing stroke (TDC),
or #6 if you've got the top of the exhaust stroke.

So basically even if you're not sure if you've got TDC or top of
exhaust stroke you've only got 2 ways the leads can go... Try it, if
they don't work, move them all round on the dizzy cap 180 degrees.

Oh, and last but by no means least, make sure you're going round the
dizzy cap the right direction! If you're not sure, take the cap off
and get someone to turn the engine over so you know which way the
rotor arm goes round! I think it's normally clockwise, but it's been a
while since I've had to do this (I now drive a diesel) and I could be
wrong!

Hope some of this helps.

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old January 31st 07, 06:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
PaulG > wrote:
> Okay, thanks for the replies. I didn't think it was possible to kill
> the coil that way. I'm just an idiot and probably used the wrong TDC
> point. I did try to stick my finger down there before though.

You don't stick your finger down the spark plug hole - just cover it to
make a seal so you can feel the compression.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Old February 2nd 07, 07:46 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in
:

> In article .com>,
> PaulG > wrote:
>> Okay, thanks for the replies. I didn't think it was possible to kill
>> the coil that way. I'm just an idiot and probably used the wrong TDC
>> point. I did try to stick my finger down there before though.

> You don't stick your finger down the spark plug hole - just cover it to
> make a seal so you can feel the compression.

if its like the older m10s you can pull the valve cover and line up the
notch on the crank pulley with the oil tube too. Since you are in there
you might want to adjust teh valves too, if that hasn't been done in a
while. Its pretty easy

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/21/32/
Old February 2nd 07, 09:48 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
z > wrote:
> "Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in
> :

> > In article .com>,
> > PaulG > wrote:
> >> Okay, thanks for the replies. I didn't think it was possible to kill
> >> the coil that way. I'm just an idiot and probably used the wrong TDC
> >> point. I did try to stick my finger down there before though.

> > You don't stick your finger down the spark plug hole - just cover it to
> > make a seal so you can feel the compression.
> >

> if its like the older m10s you can pull the valve cover and line up the
> notch on the crank pulley with the oil tube too. Since you are in there
> you might want to adjust teh valves too, if that hasn't been done in a
> while. Its pretty easy

> http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/21/32/

If you get access to the valves, they'll be closed on the cylinder on the
compression stroke.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

NO spark from the ignition coil 96 voyager 3.3L pchotspot Dodge 2 November 12th 06 12:49 AM
Bad coil? AshMan VW air cooled 10 November 2nd 06 12:45 AM
No Power: New Battery and Ignition Coil 66Barracuda Chrysler 6 April 7th 06 08:10 PM
AWA [OFFER] IGNITION COIL [email protected] General 0 December 9th 05 04:54 AM
HELP!!! - Ignition coil problem on 99 LS1 Christopher Martin Corvette 0 October 10th 04 09:08 PM