Paint Removal

Old February 11th 05, 03:09 PM
Johnny Mc

Default Paint Removal

Okay, I need to start removing the paint on my 84 project Vette.
The Vette had been repainted and it has bubbles all over it. Is there a
paint stripper that I can us, that will not harm the fiberglass?

--

Just Brew It!
Johnny Mc

To E-mail me, just cut the "CRAP"!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old February 12th 05, 05:41 AM
WayneC

Johnny Mc wrote:
> Okay, I need to start removing the paint on my 84 project Vette.
> The Vette had been repainted and it has bubbles all over it. Is there a
> paint stripper that I can us, that will not harm the fiberglass?

Here are things I've learned from posts by those who have done it...

People have reported good results with:
BIX spray-on (seems to be the most popular choice)
Captain Lee's
Ditzler DX-525.
Kleen-Strip for Fiberglass
NAPA Fiberglass Stripper #6804

Generally the stripper will say on the label that it is safe for use on
fiberglass.

After stripping a section of the car, clean & wash that section
thoroughly with HOT soapy water (Dawn dishwashing soap is good for this)
before moving on to the next section. Don't allow the stripper to remain
on for extended periods (do not apply stripper and then go away for
hours), once the stripper has sat long enough for the paint to soften
and bubble up, start scraping the paint off and then clean up. Never
allow any traces of the stripper to remain on overnight, always do a
thorough hot soapy water rinse at the end of the day. Use multiple
applications as necessary. Also, try not to get the stripper in
hard-to-clean nooks and crannies, use sandpaper around those areas.
Don't expect the stripper to remove all traces of the primer (be
satisfied when the color coat is removed, then work on the primer later
with steel wool and lacquer thinner, then sandpaper).

After the car is thoroughly stripped, wash it several times with very
hot soapy water (one poster said "when you think you have it clean, wash
it 2 more times"), then allow the car to sit for an extended period (ie,
weeks, if possible), preferably in the sun, before wiping it down with
laquer thinner and allowing it to thoroughly dry before applying primer
or sealer coats.
Old February 12th 05, 08:51 AM
ThaDriver

>Is there a paint stripper that I can us, that will not harm the
fiberglass?
*******
The short answer is no. Wayne is right on with his advice, but if you have
a high buildup of paint you may want to do what I do - use "Aircraft
Remover" stripper. It's the best paint stripper but it *will* eat away at
any fiberglass it comes in contact with (as will other strippers). Do
small areas - not more than two square feet. Stop when you get down to
primer, you'll be leaving some paint on the car as well. After throughly
washing off the stripper, sand the remaining traces of paint & the primer
off with a DA or air file or by hand, depending on the area (shape).
BTW I've been restoring Vettes for over 30 years.
If you're near me (above Atlanta) let me know & I'll save you a lot of $$$
on any aspect of the stripping/repaint you need help with.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Old February 12th 05, 03:28 PM
Bob G.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 03:51:10 -0500, "ThaDriver"
<imangeloneAThotmailDOTcom@> wrote:

>>Is there a paint stripper that I can us, that will not harm the

>fiberglass?
>*******
>The short answer is no. Wayne is right on with his advice, but if you have
>a high buildup of paint you may want to do what I do - use "Aircraft
>Remover" stripper. It's the best paint stripper but it *will* eat away at
>any fiberglass it comes in contact with (as will other strippers). Do
>small areas - not more than two square feet. Stop when you get down to
>primer, you'll be leaving some paint on the car as well. After throughly
>washing off the stripper, sand the remaining traces of paint & the primer
>off with a DA or air file or by hand, depending on the area (shape).
>BTW I've been restoring Vettes for over 30 years.
>If you're near me (above Atlanta) let me know & I'll save you a lot of $$$
>on any aspect of the stripping/repaint you need help with.
>~ Paul
>aka "Tha Driver"

I used Tal-Strip , which is an aircraft paint remover....and I used
it only because that is what the resortation shop up the road has been
using for years...

Stripped both my 72 and my 76 with this stuff... IT worked .BUT to be
honest it was one hell of a mess....

And I had to move the car outside because of the fumes...

Just curious as to what the name of the product you used....

Bob Griffiths
68 SS 396 Chevelle
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes and looning for a C5
NO MORE PROJECT CARS....

Old February 12th 05, 09:58 PM
ThaDriver

>I used Tal-Strip , which is an aircraft paint remover....and I used
it only because that is what the resortation shop up the road has been
using for years...
>Stripped both my 72 and my 76 with this stuff... IT worked .BUT to be

honest it was one hell of a mess....
>And I had to move the car outside because of the fumes...
>Just curious as to what the name of the product you used....

***********
"Aircraft Remover" is the brand name - thus the reason for the double
quotes.
And yep better read the label & use in a WELL ventilated area (preferably
outdoors). It *is* one hell of a mess, & I wouldn't recomend the average
owner stripping a Vette at home (or painting it) - unless he just cannot
afford to pay a professional to do the job.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Old February 15th 05, 02:13 PM
Johnny Mc

>"Johnny Mc" > wrote in message
> Okay, I need to start removing the paint on my 84 project Vette.
> The Vette had been repainted and it has bubbles all over it. Is there a
> paint stripper that I can us, that will not harm the fiberglass?
>
> --
>
> Just Brew It!
> Johnny Mc
>
> To E-mail me, just cut the "CRAP"!
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Guys,
I am ready to go for it!

--

I Brew My Own Damn Beer!
Johnny Mc

To E-mail me, get rid of the "MEGA-SWILL"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old February 19th 05, 11:46 AM
sbright

I figured this would be the right thread to ask this..

My Black C5 had some paint work done. There are bubbles coming up under the
clear coat. These are tiny bubbles. One pannel has a bubble under the paint
which is about 1/4 in in diameter. What causes this? Whats the proper way
to repair this?

-Stan

Old February 19th 05, 02:40 PM
Dad

Often it is water from wet sanding, (sometimes solvent from cleaning), that
is trapped under the paint. After the paint cures it tries to boil off and
is trapped. Fix is to remove it and do it right this time.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 19th 05, 02:44 PM
Nate Nagel

Dad wrote:

> Often it is water from wet sanding, (sometimes solvent from cleaning), that
> is trapped under the paint. After the paint cures it tries to boil off and
> is trapped. Fix is to remove it and do it right this time.

yeah after the paint is stripped off if any chemical stripper has been
used, wash well, wipe down with Windex and let the fiberglass "breathe"
for a week or so before even thinking about laying down paint on it.
I'm not real familiar with bodywork on 'vettes but I have worked on
Avantis before (I believe the bodies were molded by the same company?)
and some people go so far as to mechanically strip the paint - with
razor blades. Apparently once you get the technique it's not that bad
but I tried it on a pair of '56 Golden Hawk fins and just couldn't get
it down.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 21st 05, 02:29 PM
Johnny Mc

What about washing it down with Acetone instead of Windex, or would you
still want to finish it with Windex. My Vette has bubbles all over it, so I
am about to take the paint off. ALL OF IT!

--

I Brew My Own Damn Beer!
Johnny Mc

To E-mail me, get rid of the "BAD-BEER"