Secret Is Out

Old April 26th 05, 09:20 PM

Default Secret Is Out

The reason for the high gas prices is... REFINING CAPACITY.

This comes from Pres. Bush's meeting with the Saudi crown prince. Its
been all over the radio today, along with the root causes:

Government environmental overregulation.

Impossible permitting regulations.

....and all driven by our "friends", the enviro-wackos, who think its
just peachy to saddle foreign countries with the burden of refining
_our_ gas (and exposing _their_ populations to _even worse_ pollution
because the foreign countries will have virtually no environmental
impediments... is this a form of racism, maybe?) while exposing _us_
to the possibility of economic ruin due to high gas prices.

Califoria doesn't build electric generating plants for a decade, they
get incredibly high prices for electricity, and they learn from it.
They are building electrical generating plants.

We as a nation aren't building enough refining capacity. Not any,
really. Are we going to learn from it? Or are we going to have
another economic depression, all driven by environmental extremists
more concerned with insects than people?

Dave Head

Old April 27th 05, 02:59 AM
Cory Dunkle

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> The reason for the high gas prices is... REFINING CAPACITY.

Gee whiz, I've known that for as long as I've been driving. Well, after the
prices went back above $1/gal anyhow. The tree-huggers will not let anyone
build new refineries in the U.S. so we have no way to increase our capacity
and must depend on other countries to refine. Well, tree huggers want
expensive gas, but then they complain when the price of food, milk, or other
goods goes up.
Well duh! Higher energy prices means higher prices for anything that makes
use of that energy along the way to your home. We have an excellent
alternative to some of the greatest polluters, traditional coil and oil
power plants (much worse than cars). Nuclear power. Of course the tree
huggers won't allow that either.
News flash, we can't go from where we are now to zero pollution, ever. We
can reduce pollution and our dependence on fossil fuels, but it's a gradual
process. The next logical step to reduce fossil fuel demand and consumption
is to build more nuclear power plants.

There are two issues at hand here.. Fossil fuel consumption and pollution.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Tree huggers complaining about how
much gas cars use but then they complain about pollution and pass
legislation on automobile emissions that necessitate emissions control
measures that reduce mileage. Anyhow, I'm done with my mini-rant about
tree-huggers, I don't feel like going on all night about this.

Cory

Old April 27th 05, 05:12 AM
Magnulus

Refining capacity is only half the story. Most of the increase in the
cost is due to the increase in the price of oil. Alot of the increase in
the price of oil is due to the worthless dollar- in short, few investors
have faith in our economy anymore because we have so many debts, and we buy
oil with dollars- so if the dollar is worth less you get less oil per
dollar.

There are a few areas that might benefit from more refineries (western
states, a few southeastern states), but its not going to magically make the
price of gas fall.

Old April 27th 05, 12:59 PM
Paul

On 26 Apr 2005 13:20:32 -0700, , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> We as a nation aren't building enough refining capacity. Not any,
> really. Are we going to learn from it? Or are we going to have
> another economic depression, all driven by environmental extremists
> more concerned with insects than people?

Not only the environmental people, but the NIMBY crowd also. Personally,
I wouldn't mind a being neighbors with a refinery (hell, I've had a
former toxiphene factory - currently producing other products - as one
for most of my life).
Old April 27th 05, 02:07 PM
Roy Shroyer

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> The reason for the high gas prices is... REFINING CAPACITY.
>
> This comes from Pres. Bush's meeting with the Saudi crown prince. Its
> been all over the radio today, along with the root causes:
>
> Government environmental overregulation.
>
> Impossible permitting regulations.
>
> ...and all driven by our "friends", the enviro-wackos, who think its
> just peachy to saddle foreign countries with the burden of refining
> _our_ gas (and exposing _their_ populations to _even worse_ pollution
> because the foreign countries will have virtually no environmental
> impediments... is this a form of racism, maybe?) while exposing _us_
> to the possibility of economic ruin due to high gas prices.
>
> Califoria doesn't build electric generating plants for a decade, they
> get incredibly high prices for electricity, and they learn from it.
> They are building electrical generating plants.
>
> We as a nation aren't building enough refining capacity. Not any,
> really. Are we going to learn from it? Or are we going to have
> another economic depression, all driven by environmental extremists
> more concerned with insects than people?
>
> Dave Head

Once again Dave here spouting the tripe broadcast on FAUXNews. Dave, wake
up man.

Crude oil supplies, particularly light sweet crude, are failing to meet
demand. Hence, higher prices projected to go ever higher. Saudis upping
production you say? Well, investigate. It turns out that they're
increasing production of heavy sour crude. Not the good stuff. Their main
oilfield, Ghawar is in decline. Water cuts of up to 40%. Not good. Is it
in the Saudi's best interest to admit this publically? I think not.

Refining capacity is part of the problem granted.

The mainstream media in this country does everything it can to focus blame
on strawmen so Amercian citizens won't realize that oil is a non-renewable
resource that is running out. If they did, our entire economic system would
require some serious re-adjustment.

Read a book. Turn off the tube. Turn off the hatemongers on AM talk
radio.Think for yourself instead of allowing yourself to be programmed by
entities that stand to gain from the current pattern of unsustainable
resource use and conspicuous consumption.

If you believe infinite growth on a finite planet with finite resources,
then you must be either completely insane or you must be an economist.

Google Peak Oil. Prepare now. Those who deny the scientific facts of oil
depletion are the ones who will fall the hardest. If we expect to come
through the chronic energy shortages looming on the horizon, then we as
Americans are going to have to take a serious look at our way of life.
Perhaps do the unthinkable: conserve energy and eliminate waste!

Now go ahead and call me an "America hating liberal" because that's what
you're programmed to do.

Foxnews definition of liberal: anyone who opposes the current
administration and their fixation with unsustainable consumption, deficit
spending, foreign aggression (Iran is next in line) and allowing an open
border with Mexico. Rich gettin' richer, middle and lower class feeling the
pinch.

Educate yourself with many sources. Question the government. Speak your
mind while you still can.

Quotes from a couple of great Americans:

"If a Nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it
expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Teddy
Roosevelt.

Old April 27th 05, 04:48 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Magnulus > wrote:
> Refining capacity is only half the story. Most of the increase in the
>cost is due to the increase in the price of oil. Alot of the increase in
>the price of oil is due to the worthless dollar- in short, few investors
>have faith in our economy anymore because we have so many debts, and we buy
>oil with dollars- so if the dollar is worth less you get less oil per
>dollar.

I see you know as much about finance as you do about automobiles.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old April 27th 05, 08:43 PM
Magnulus

"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
> I see you know as much about finance as you do about automobiles.

Please explain how the declining dollar is not contributing to high oil
prices?

Refining capacity is only a big problem in a few areas (such as the west
coast)- it's not a problem nation wide, and it won't be a magic cure when
most of the increase in gasoline and fuel prices are due to increases in the
price of oil.

Old April 27th 05, 09:10 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Magnulus > wrote:

>"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
>> I see you know as much about finance as you do about automobiles.

> Please explain how the declining dollar is not contributing to high oil
>prices?

For the same reason the declining dollar doesn't contribute to high
milk prices.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old April 27th 05, 09:14 PM
223rem

Matthew Russotto wrote:
> In article >,
> Magnulus > wrote:
>
>>"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I see you know as much about finance as you do about automobiles.

>> Please explain how the declining dollar is not contributing to high oil
>>prices?

> For the same reason the declining dollar doesn't contribute to high
> milk prices.

No. Oil is imported, milk is not.