Retractable headlight won't open

Old November 15th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Retractable headlight won't open

Right retractable headlight won't open. Live in the Northeast and the car
has been out playing in heavy rain in recent days. What is my progression
order for troubleshooting? These come to mind:

1) Look for obstructions preventing headlight from opening (sticks, leaves)
2) Disconnect, then re-connect plug for that retractable motor (case of
moisture, dirt).
3) Check fuse main box engine compartment.
4) Test retractable motor with jumpers from 12-vote battery. Replace if
motor doesn't work.

What else?

Hugh C.

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 15th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Tried that without luck. Right headlight doesn't open with the open switch
or the light switch. Suspect bad (or wet) wiring or a bad motor.

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 15th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

XS11E wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> Tried that without luck. Right headlight doesn't open with the
>> open switch or the light switch. Suspect bad (or wet) wiring
>> or a
>> bad motor.

> That's likely, hope it's not too expensive to fix...

I suspect that the connector between the headlight motor wiring
and the main wiring harness might be (1) wet or (2) damaged.
There's a bunch of little copper "fingers" in there that can
short out and/or bend right off quite easily. Unfortunately, you
cannot buy just that connector - the dealer will only sell the
entire motor assembly. If that connector's bad, you might be
able to find one used. Depending on just where in the Northeast
you are, you might check with Planet Miata to see if they have a
used one.
www.planetmiata.com They've been able to find some
parts for me at a *very* reduced price.

Check the headlight retractor fuse in the main fuse box.

Disconnect the wiring at the motor; connect a voltmeter (postive
to the red/yellow wire terminal and negative to ground) and see
if you have any battery voltage. If so, check for continuity
between the black terminal and the body. If you've got
continuity there, the motor is bad. I've got a spare retractor
motor from a '90 but it's for the left side.

I may not have my '90 anymore, but I still have my Enthusiast's
Manual!

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old November 16th 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

. ..

Old November 16th 08, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Iva wrote:

> If that connector's bad, you might be
> able to find one used. Depending on just where in the Northeast
> you are, you might check with Planet Miata to see if they have a
> used one. www.planetmiata.com They've been able to find some
> parts for me at a *very* reduced price.

If the motor is bad, I do still have access to one for $10.00 plus
shipping.

The motor alone is pretty lightweight so it should not be too expensive
to ship it.

Pat
Old November 16th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Old November 19th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ephar[_2_]

Have you tried it manually?
Rotate the knob on top of the retractor with the lights on & off/switch on
& off
Ephar & Bambi
Old November 29th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default UPDATE: Retractable headlight won't open

Thanks to everyone who chimed in. The fix turned out to be surprisingly
simple. The nut on the rotator arm from the motor had worked loose. Snugging
it up fixed the problem.

Hugh C.

http://www.usenet.com