Busted rear window - 3rd brake light out (97 Volvo 850 T-5)

Old June 6th 05, 05:05 PM
Joe S

Default Busted rear window - 3rd brake light out (97 Volvo 850 T-5)

Vandals blew out my rear window with a big rock. Coincidentally, the
3rd brake light (the one in the rear window) stopped working, but there
was no contact with the housing, there is no damage to it and the bulb
filament is intact. I have not yet had time to confirm by metering that
there is no current, but since all else seems fine, I assume there is
no current.

Is it, by any chance, such that if the defroster ciruitry is damaged,
the brakelight fails, as well?

Joe

Old June 6th 05, 05:14 PM
John S.

Should be separate circuits. I've had to replace one or two center
brake lights on a 1988 and 1996 Volvo. I would suspect that either the
bulb, socket or the wiring was damaged by the rock. Try the swapping
bulbs.

Old June 6th 05, 05:46 PM
Joe S

John S. wrote:
> Should be separate circuits. I've had to replace one or two center
> brake lights on a 1988 and 1996 Volvo. I would suspect that either the
> bulb, socket or the wiring was damaged by the rock. Try the swapping
> bulbs.

Thanks for the reply! The rock definitely did not contact the brake
light housing....it passed a good foot above it. I think we'll end up
having the glass replaceed through the dealer so they can make sure the
light is operating as well, no matter the cause. It'll not cost us any
more than the comprehensive deductible, in any case.

Joe

Old June 6th 05, 06:13 PM
John S.

Although it didn't hit the housing the shock may have been eough to do
some damage somewhere. Yes, it is a very good idea for the dealer
check out the light. Most would do that as a mater of course.

Old June 6th 05, 08:56 PM
ed

you must live near me.
I just had my MIL's car (towncar)which I keep, have a large landscaping rock
thrown through the passenger window.

May I suggest.

http://www.supercircuits.com

for some grand ideas in maybe catching whomever...