1992 Accord Dead~Not the Battery!

Old October 9th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Doctor

Default 1992 Accord Dead~Not the Battery!

Was out shopping this morning and noticed when I started my '92 Accord
it sounded 'tired' kindof like the batt was low (it wasn't) Did a few
more errands, maybe 4-5 on/off cycles, and went home. 6 hours later in
my driveway, attempted to start her up and -nothing- lights & buzzer
are strong, but not starter whatsoever. Pop started the car and ran
fine. Shut off, and the same thing happened. Simply put, is this the
starter at fault? Cables are clean as is the battery. Is this how
starters on Hondas die? Remember, when I was out in it, it did seem to
strain abit to start. Thanks in advance!
Doc
Old October 9th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX

The Doctor wrote:
> Was out shopping this morning and noticed when I started my '92 Accord
> it sounded 'tired' kindof like the batt was low (it wasn't) Did a few
> more errands, maybe 4-5 on/off cycles, and went home. 6 hours later in
> my driveway, attempted to start her up and -nothing- lights & buzzer
> are strong, but not starter whatsoever. Pop started the car and ran
> fine. Shut off, and the same thing happened. Simply put, is this the
> starter at fault? Cables are clean as is the battery. Is this how
> starters on Hondas die? Remember, when I was out in it, it did seem to
> strain abit to start. Thanks in advance!
> Doc

It could be the starter.
Could also be the battery, cables, and ground.
Have tests done.
Old October 9th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 13:24:52 -0700 (PDT), The Doctor > wrote:
>Was out shopping this morning and noticed when I started my '92 Accord
>it sounded 'tired' kindof like the batt was low (it wasn't) Did a few
>more errands, maybe 4-5 on/off cycles, and went home. 6 hours later in
>my driveway, attempted to start her up and -nothing- lights & buzzer
>are strong, but not starter whatsoever. Pop started the car and ran
>fine. Shut off, and the same thing happened. Simply put, is this the
>starter at fault? Cables are clean as is the battery. Is this how
>starters on Hondas die? Remember, when I was out in it, it did seem to
>strain abit to start. Thanks in advance!

At the very least, put a voltmeter on the battery then the starter
while you try to start it.

I battery with a shorted cell will put out plenty of current, yet lack
the voltage necessary to flip the solenoid to power the starter.

If you haven't a meter then you have no business under the hood.
Take it to a garage. If you're in the U.S. some parts stores like
autozone will diagnose the charging system for free; they sell a lot
of batteries, etc. in compensation.
Old October 10th 10, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 10/09/2010 01:24 PM, The Doctor wrote:
> Was out shopping this morning and noticed when I started my '92 Accord
> it sounded 'tired' kindof like the batt was low (it wasn't) Did a few
> more errands, maybe 4-5 on/off cycles, and went home. 6 hours later in
> my driveway, attempted to start her up and -nothing- lights& buzzer
> are strong, but not starter whatsoever. Pop started the car and ran
> fine. Shut off, and the same thing happened. Simply put, is this the
> starter at fault? Cables are clean as is the battery. Is this how
> starters on Hondas die? Remember, when I was out in it, it did seem to
> strain abit to start. Thanks in advance!
> Doc

how do you /know/ it's not the battery? what testing have you done?

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old October 10th 10, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Doctor

I swapped a known-good battery into it...same results.
Doc
Old October 10th 10, 09:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Oct 9, 4:24*pm, The Doctor > wrote:
> Was out shopping this morning and noticed when I started my '92 Accord
> it sounded 'tired' kindof like the batt was low (it wasn't) Did a few
> more errands, maybe 4-5 on/off cycles, and went home. 6 hours later in
> my driveway, attempted to start her up and -nothing- lights & buzzer
> are strong, but not starter whatsoever. Pop started the car and ran
> fine. Shut off, and the same thing happened. Simply put, is this the
> starter at fault? Cables are clean as is the battery. Is this how
> starters on Hondas die? Remember, when I was out in it, it did seem to
> strain abit to start. Thanks in advance!
> Doc

Have someone hit the starter with a hammer while you are trying to
start it. If it starts the starter is bad.

It couldn't hurt to have your battery & alternator checked to make
sure that isn't your problem too.
Old October 10th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 10/09/2010 08:25 PM, The Doctor wrote:
> I swapped a known-good battery into it...same results.
> Doc

ok, good. but help people help you better next time - say what you've
already done.

regarding the starter, yes, that is a typical failure mode, provided
there are no other faults like bad connections, faulty battery or for
honda, bad ignition switch. if the lights stay on when you're turning
the key to the "start" position, the switch should be ok, so concentrate
on the starter.

when starters get old, the internal electrodes erode so they don't make
strong contact, and no/weak contact means no or intermittent current to
the motor. it's unusual for them to fail suddenly however - this
failure has probably been preceded by several months of slight
hesitation before the starter motor starts to crank. if so, then i'd
say you have your diagnosis without looking further.

depending on the starter motor brand, and your appetite/skill for the
work, you might be able to buy new contacts and repair the starter
yourself. but if not, just swap it a reconditioned one. if yours is
denso brand, you can buy them from http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/.
but if it's mitsuba [most likely if it's original], don't bother
messing about, just go reconditioned.

if this is a vehicle you intend to keep on the road for a while, spend
the money on either a honda branded reconditioned starter, or buy a new
denso [which is almost certainly cheaper if you do your homework
online]. a lot of other branded aftermarket rebuilds are cheaply done,
nasty quality and don't last.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old October 10th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Doctor

OK, here's an update. Bought a new reconditioned starter from General
(local guy here) for 75.00 + core. Dropped it in and we're good to go!
When I removed the starter it was original Honda with 165k on it. It
didn't owe me anything! Thanks to all who chimed in here with good
solid advice. As an aside, I chose to go to General instead of NAPA
Fair Auto because they sell garbage. Autozone & Advance Auto even
have better quality and stand behind their stuff, too.
Anyway, thanks for the tips, guys and I'll remember all the sage
advice next time I have a starter issue!
Doc
Old October 10th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Starter motors would last much longer if they had ball bearings/roller
bearings instead of bushings.
cuhulin

Old October 11th 10, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> Starter motors would last much longer if they had ball bearings/roller
> bearings instead of bushings.
> cuhulin

Worn bushings and burned contact points are two of the worst
offenders in bad starters. Starter "drag" acts just like a run down
battery. And many if not most cases of starter drag are caused
by worn out bushings.

Mysterious dead battery in 2000 Honda Accord woger151 Technology 25 May 13th 14 10:23 PM
1997 SC2 Completely Dead, No Power, Not Dead Battery getjer1 Saturn 10 November 18th 05 04:05 AM
Dead Battery Gill Ford Mustang 0 October 16th 05 09:34 PM
Help please 1992 Dodge Caravan, dead battery and... Rhonda Dodge 3 March 5th 05 05:02 AM
When The Battery Light Comes On Does This Mean The Battery Is Going Dead? John Saturn 10 August 14th 04 01:25 AM