Front bottom wall - how does it come off?

Old November 5th 05, 06:06 PM
Remco

Default Front bottom wall - how does it come off?

Hi all

In poking around and removing my master cylinder, I found that the
mounting holes of the wall that the master cylinder mounts to is rotted
out. (the PO must have had a brake fluid leak, as far as I can see).
It is not really bad, but could poke through the 'meat' between the
mounting hole and the hole where the MC control rod goes - rather than
patching this piece, I feel better replacing it (don't want to stick my
foot through the wall one day, trying to stop).

Here's the part that I am talking about:
http://www.oeveedub.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=4

How do I remove this piece so I can replace it? Is it spot welded to
the tunnel? If so, it that along the lip? Or is there a brace below it
that attaches to the tunnel, like the rear cross braces?

tia
REmco

Old November 5th 05, 06:31 PM
tricky

I dont know for sure - but if I was doing it I would seam weld to the tunnel
like you do at the back of the floor pan.
spot weld to the frame head bottom plate. They are sandwich bolted together
at the ends anyhow.

I repaired mine as the super panels are 'WELL' spensive !!! Like 50gbp each
just for the two end parts that the bolts go through

I think the factory spot welded them, but they had a good spot welding
machine !

Rich

oups.com...

Old November 5th 05, 11:01 PM
Remco

tricky wrote:
> I dont know for sure - but if I was doing it I would seam weld to the tunnel
> like you do at the back of the floor pan.
> spot weld to the frame head bottom plate. They are sandwich bolted together
> at the ends anyhow.
>
> I repaired mine as the super panels are 'WELL' spensive !!! Like 50gbp each
> just for the two end parts that the bolts go through
>
> I think the factory spot welded them, but they had a good spot welding
> machine !

Sounds like good advice, so that's what I'll do. It must be spot welded
to the tunnel -- I havent seen any spots, but haven't bushed it yet
either, as the whole thing is goo-ed up with grease. Is that some sort
of factory rust protection or something? It certainly worked well,
except where they had a fluid leak.

It does have some sort of hardened seam sealer along where this piece
is and also where the frame head connects to the tunnel, so from the
factory they have not seam welded it (but like you said: they had mondo
power welders -- all I have is a small lincoln)

Thanks, as always.
Remco

Old November 6th 05, 02:38 AM
Dave G

It's either grease from p/o lubricating the pedal cluster, or what they call
"honey-coating" which is a wax-oil blend. Very effective rust protection,
but it stays greasy and attracts dirt.
-Dave

ups.com...

Old November 6th 05, 02:56 AM
Remco

Dave G wrote:
> It's either grease from p/o lubricating the pedal cluster, or what they call
> "honey-coating" which is a wax-oil blend. Very effective rust protection,
> but it stays greasy and attracts dirt.
> -Dave

Thanks -- this grease is sitting on the hump part (the part in the link
I sent). In fact, there's more grease inside the firewall on the body.
Must be rust protection, as you suggest. It seemed to have done its job
really well..