Soft top

Old May 5th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Soft top

Hey,
I recently bought a 1997 Jeep TJ (2.5 L 5-speed manual) and I want to buy a soft top for it. It has never had a soft top before and I was wondering if there is anything I need to know before buying a top for it. I don't plan on buying a new soft top.... so will i need to make any adjustments, drill any holes etc. if i buy one from someone?

--
Starr

View this thread: http://www.carstalk.net/viewtopic-411513.html

Send from http://www.carstalk.net

Old May 5th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

These are parts that don't age well, unless extraordinary care is taken, to
store properly in the off season, not expose to too much sun, never put down
wet, etc. Buying a used one out of the paper will be chancy, but these guys
http://www.gemini-sales.com sometimes have good, used, inspected parts.
Bestop is the stock top manufacturer, and many say that no other brand is
worth considering. Once you start looking, you will find a bewildering
selection of options and accessories. I am currently drooling over this
http://www.gemini-sales.com/halftop.html

Earle

Old May 9th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

For what it's worth. I would agree with Earl as these parts are best
bought new.
I just saw a full top and soft doors from Bestop on ebay for 700. as a
buy me now I
bought the two piece soft doors for my TJ for 400. from Whitney.

Old May 10th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

There is not a single top on the market that will even come close to the
quality of a factory top...not even the besttop factory replacement...
My buddy tried two different tops and sold them both when he found a factory
top on a msg. board from a guy that had his Jeep stolen while he had the
hardtop on...
I've seen two or three new or next to new on our msg. board this spring, so
I'm sure there are alot out there if you look around hard enough...
Like I said even the bestop's sailcloth is not the same thickness or quality
even the bars are smaller and more likely to get bent...hold out and be
patient and find an original factory top, you WILL regret it if you don't...

Good luck!

Jeff

oups.com...

Old May 10th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Afaik, Bestop makes the factory soft top. I will agree that the best place
to buy it is the Jeep dealer. I got mine in 1997 or so and still have it,
good as new. I left it on all winter once.

Earle