MS Sidewinder FF usb Wheel help

Old July 15th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Don Burnette[_1_]

Default MS Sidewinder FF usb Wheel help

After getting NR 2003 up and running successfully, I installed the software
for my MS Sidewinder FF usb wheel.

I installed the software for the wheel from the cd that came with it. It is
version 4, for the usb wheel. I believe this was the
latest software produced for this wheel? I searched the MS website , and did
not find any later drivers, realizing of course, support
is really not offered by MS anymore for this wheel.

The problem I am having, when I install on my XP Pro installation, I get a
warning message that it may not function properly, as it recognizes my
system as a windows NT/2000 installation.
It works ok, with the exception, of the recorder portion of the software. If
I try and launch the recorder, it closes with an
error message , something about a dll file.

Anyone know, of any later software that was offered for this wheel for
Windows XP, that might still be available somewhere? Or a workaround for
this issue?

I also have the original red Momo I could install and use, assuming it would
work ok in XP, however, for NR2003 I always preferred the MS wheel, mainly
for the increased pedal throw over the Momo.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Don Burnette

Old July 15th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Ed Medlin

"Don Burnette" > wrote in message

> After getting NR 2003 up and running successfully, I installed the
> software for my MS Sidewinder FF usb wheel.
>
> I installed the software for the wheel from the cd that came with it. It
> is version 4, for the usb wheel. I believe this was the
> latest software produced for this wheel? I searched the MS website , and
> did not find any later drivers, realizing of course, support
> is really not offered by MS anymore for this wheel.
>
> The problem I am having, when I install on my XP Pro installation, I get a
> warning message that it may not function properly, as it recognizes my
> system as a windows NT/2000 installation.
> It works ok, with the exception, of the recorder portion of the software.
> If I try and launch the recorder, it closes with an
> error message , something about a dll file.
>
> Anyone know, of any later software that was offered for this wheel for
> Windows XP, that might still be available somewhere? Or a workaround for
> this issue?
>
> I also have the original red Momo I could install and use, assuming it
> would work ok in XP, however, for NR2003 I always preferred the MS wheel,
> mainly for the increased pedal throw over the Momo.
>
> Any help would be appreciated...
>
> Thanks,
>

> Don Burnette

XP has native support for the wheel. I have never installed any drivers for
it since ME. The only difference I have seen is that there is not seperate
brake and accellerator axis' anymore. I am fairly sure it had that option
before. Try unplugging the wheel, uninstall the drivers and plug the wheel
in and let it autodetect. Make sure you have XPSP2 installed too. I have the
MS FF USB and a black Momo and actually prefer the Momo. I wish I could
somehow use the MS pedals as they are almost bulletproof where the Momo
pedals fail frequently.

Ed

Old July 15th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Don Burnette[_1_]

"Ed Medlin" > wrote in message

> "Don Burnette" > wrote in message
>>
>> After getting NR 2003 up and running successfully, I installed the
>> software for my MS Sidewinder FF usb wheel.
>>
>> I installed the software for the wheel from the cd that came with it. It
>> is version 4, for the usb wheel. I believe this was the
>> latest software produced for this wheel? I searched the MS website , and
>> did not find any later drivers, realizing of course, support
>> is really not offered by MS anymore for this wheel.
>>
>> The problem I am having, when I install on my XP Pro installation, I get
>> a warning message that it may not function properly, as it recognizes my
>> system as a windows NT/2000 installation.
>> It works ok, with the exception, of the recorder portion of the software.
>> If I try and launch the recorder, it closes with an
>> error message , something about a dll file.
>>
>> Anyone know, of any later software that was offered for this wheel for
>> Windows XP, that might still be available somewhere? Or a workaround for
>> this issue?
>>
>> I also have the original red Momo I could install and use, assuming it
>> would work ok in XP, however, for NR2003 I always preferred the MS wheel,
>> mainly for the increased pedal throw over the Momo.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> Don Burnette
>>

> XP has native support for the wheel. I have never installed any drivers
> for it since ME. The only difference I have seen is that there is not
> seperate brake and accellerator axis' anymore. I am fairly sure it had
> that option before. Try unplugging the wheel, uninstall the drivers and
> plug the wheel in and let it autodetect. Make sure you have XPSP2
> installed too. I have the MS FF USB and a black Momo and actually prefer
> the Momo. I wish I could somehow use the MS pedals as they are almost
> bulletproof where the Momo pedals fail frequently.
>
> Ed

Hmm, I could try that, however, I do have the option of setting separate
brake and accelerator
axis, which I prefer in NR 2003 , I would hate to lose that function...

Don Burnette

Old July 15th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryP

Don - I have the same setup and Ver. 4.0 works fine here. When you go
into game Controllers and (with Sidewinder highlighted) you click
"Properties", does the MS Control Panel come up? Have you tried
uninstalling/reinstalling it?

It's possible you have a corrupt CD. What is the exact error message?
I can copy/mail you the CD or email you the missing DLL file (and tell
you where it goes)..

Gary

>On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:55:13 -0500, "Don Burnette" > wrote:
.. .

Old July 15th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Don Burnette[_1_]

Yes, the MS control panel comes up.
When I click on the recorder tab, I get the below error message:
" Runtime Error! - Program C: windows\system32\rundll32exe"
"This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

The recorder tab, is the only tab that does not work and gives me this error
message.

--
Don Burnette

"GaryP" > wrote in message
> Don - I have the same setup and Ver. 4.0 works fine here. When you go
> into game Controllers and (with Sidewinder highlighted) you click
> "Properties", does the MS Control Panel come up? Have you tried
> uninstalling/reinstalling it?
>
> It's possible you have a corrupt CD. What is the exact error message?
> I can copy/mail you the CD or email you the missing DLL file (and tell
> you where it goes)..
>
> Gary
>
>>On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:55:13 -0500, "Don Burnette"
> wrote:
. ..

Old July 15th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryP

A couple things to try. Uninstall/Reinstall, which I would bet you
have done. Are you running it as Administrator? Are you dble-clking it
on the taskbar or going into it from "Game Controllers" in control
panel. I see when dble-clking SW Control it has to access
rundll32.exe (and it does require privlidges) to open GC, going
directly into GC doesn't cause the same calls. I create a shortcut to
GC on my desktop to make it easier.. not sure if this is of any help
but we can try!

Old July 15th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Don Burnette[_1_]

Yes, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with same result. Yes, I am
running as administrator.

I have been accessing it , by double clicking on the icon on the taskbar,
just tried it by going through game controllers in control panel, still get
the same error message when trying to access the recorder tab...

It was worth a shot anyway, thanks for trying!

--
Don Burnette

Old July 16th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryP

Try deleting (through Add/Remove programs) and then manually delete
the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Game Controllers folder and
all below it. Let me know it Add/Remove deletes them for you.

Then reinstall and see what what happens.

Gary

Old July 16th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryP

>On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:24:18 -0400, GaryP > wrote:
>Try deleting (through Add/Remove programs) and then manually delete
>the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Game Controllers folder and
>all below it. Let me know it Add/Remove deletes them for you.

That's IF Add/Remove has already deleted it, sorry...

Old July 16th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Don Burnette[_1_]

Ok, I tried deleting through add/remove, selected to delete all files, and
it did delete the Microsoft Hardware\Game Controllers folder, reinstalled,
and still get same results.

Strange,

Don