failed emission high NOx

Old November 14th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
RZ[_2_]

Default failed emission high NOx

My 89 Toyota pickup recently failed emission test for high NOx (1483
std reading 2954).
I checked out the egr system as per the service manual and didn't find
anything wrong.. I changed plugs, cap, rotor, wires, pcv, air filter
about 20K miles ago and the truck rund fine.
I did however have to wait over an hour in the line and had the engine
shut off. By the time I got to the emissions test, the engine was
pretty cold. Could this have caused this?
Thanks for comments.

Old November 14th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Nov 14, 5:42 pm, RZ > wrote:
> My 89 Toyota pickup recently failed emission test for high NOx (1483
> std reading 2954).
> I checked out the egr system as per the service manual and didn't find
> anything wrong.. I changed plugs, cap, rotor, wires, pcv, air filter
> about 20K miles ago and the truck rund fine.
> I did however have to wait over an hour in the line and had the engine
> shut off. By the time I got to the emissions test, the engine was
> pretty cold. Could this have caused this?
> Thanks for comments.

No.

1. EGR failure.

2. Ignition timing too far advanced.

3. Lean air/fuel ratio-too little CO and/or too much O2.

4. Defective reduction portion of converter.

5. Compression too high due to combustion chamber deposits.

6. Cylinder imbalance due to intake valve deposits or plugged
injectors.

7. Overheating (general or localized).

8. Excessive oxygen in the exhaust from a leak or AIR problem.

9. Defective heated intake, EFE system or heat riser.

10 Jumped valve timing.

11. Wrong spark plug heat range or overheated plugs from improper
seating.

12 Burning oil.

13 Vacuum leak.

Old November 15th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Walsh

Yes. Catalytic converters don't work when they are cold.

Old November 16th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

i have heard of people failing the emissions test with a cold engine,
say 1st thing in the morning, then they went back later in the day and
passed with a hot engine.
Old November 16th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I have heard using washer fluid in your breather filter will lower the
NOX. They put washer fluid on there filter just before going into get
it checked, apparently this reduces NOX by a few points.
Old November 16th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Nov 14, 4:42 pm, RZ > wrote:
> My 89 Toyota pickup recently failed emission test for high NOx (1483
> std reading 2954).
> I checked out the egr system as per the service manual and didn't find
> anything wrong.. I changed plugs, cap, rotor, wires, pcv, air filter
> about 20K miles ago and the truck rund fine.
> I did however have to wait over an hour in the line and had the engine
> shut off. By the time I got to the emissions test, the engine was
> pretty cold. Could this have caused this?
> Thanks for comments.

Did I miss your engine size and trans somewhere in the post?

You've received one correct reply so far. Here's another. Of all the
emissions gasses that would fail due to a cold engine, NOx is not one
of them. You need to fix your plugged EGR passage, shorted EGR temp
sensor, loose or cracked hose(s), too advanced ign timing, failed EGR
VSV, or lean running condition FIRST, then reevaluate for other
problems that need to be diagnosed AFTER all mechanical systems are
working properly.

Toyota MDT in MO
Old November 16th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Comboverfish wrote:

> On Nov 14, 4:42 pm, RZ > wrote:
> > My 89 Toyota pickup recently failed emission test for high NOx (1483
> > std reading 2954).
> > I checked out the egr system as per the service manual and didn't find
> > anything wrong.. I changed plugs, cap, rotor, wires, pcv, air filter
> > about 20K miles ago and the truck rund fine.
> > I did however have to wait over an hour in the line and had the engine
> > shut off. By the time I got to the emissions test, the engine was
> > pretty cold. Could this have caused this?
> > Thanks for comments.

> Did I miss your engine size and trans somewhere in the post?
>
> You've received one correct reply so far.

That would be the one about spraying washer fluid on your filter, Right?

Speaking of spray-on applications - Did the guy selling the 'new product
to save gas" for 9.99 really say to spray it on the gas pump?

Old November 16th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Nov 16, 9:54 am, jim > wrote:
> Comboverfish wrote:
>
> > On Nov 14, 4:42 pm, RZ > wrote:
> > > My 89 Toyota pickup recently failed emission test for high NOx (1483
> > > std reading 2954).
> > > I checked out the egr system as per the service manual and didn't find
> > > anything wrong.. I changed plugs, cap, rotor, wires, pcv, air filter
> > > about 20K miles ago and the truck rund fine.
> > > I did however have to wait over an hour in the line and had the engine
> > > shut off. By the time I got to the emissions test, the engine was
> > > pretty cold. Could this have caused this?
> > > Thanks for comments.

> > Did I miss your engine size and trans somewhere in the post?

> > You've received one correct reply so far.

> That would be the one about spraying washer fluid on your filter, Right?

Yes, of course! The poster said "They put washer fluid on there
filter just before going into get
it checked, apparently this reduces NOX by a few points." With 3
'points'
out of the way, it should be cake to reduce the next 1468 points
simply using proper diagnostic and repair methods.

Toyota MDT in MO
Old November 16th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

Comboverfish wrote:
> On Nov 16, 9:54 am, jim > wrote:
>> Comboverfish wrote:

>> > Did I miss your engine size and trans somewhere in the post?

>> > You've received one correct reply so far.

>> That would be the one about spraying washer fluid on your filter, Right?

> Yes, of course! The poster said "They put washer fluid on there
> filter just before going into get
> it checked, apparently this reduces NOX by a few points." With 3
> 'points'
> out of the way, it should be cake to reduce the next 1468 points
> simply using proper diagnostic and repair methods.

Oh, you're just being cynical. With a premium washer fluid you should be
able to get seven or eight points.

--
Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!
Old November 17th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Nov 16, 6:37 pm, clifto > wrote:
> Comboverfish wrote:

> >> That would be the one about spraying washer fluid on your filter, Right?

> > Yes, of course! The poster said "They put washer fluid on there
> > filter just before going into get
> > it checked, apparently this reduces NOX by a few points." With 3
> > 'points'
> > out of the way, it should be cake to reduce the next 1468 points
> > simply using proper diagnostic and repair methods.

> Oh, you're just being cynical. With a premium washer fluid you should be
> able to get seven or eight points.
>
> --
> Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!

LMAO!

http://www.prestone.com/products/win...sherFluids.php

failed emission Jayjay Chrysler 3 November 30th 06 12:08 AM
Failed emission test on NOx, but O2 was very high... why? Al Kondo Technology 1 November 26th 06 12:42 AM
94 Audi 90 CS - failed emission test - Cat Converter? bwm Audi 5 July 19th 05 11:36 PM
1990 Caravan failed emission test NxO Awelch Chrysler 4 May 20th 05 08:36 PM
HELP! failed emission inspection with high HC ppm Robert Technology 5 March 31st 05 02:53 AM