H pipe or X pipe?

Old April 18th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default H pipe or X pipe?

Blue Mesteno wrote:
> "Spike" > wrote
>
>>I was told that the X gives you more of a ricer sound.

> I don't know about "ricer" since NASCAR is using x-pipes. It's just a higher
> pitch more in line with an F1 type of sound. It's definitely not the deep
> throaty sound of an h-pipe through flowmasters. It's more of a growl. That's
> the only word I can think of to describe the difference. It definitely still
> sounds like a V-8 though, not a 4-banger with a turbo and the popoff valve
> set too high. reen neen neen neen neen Whistle!!!!!

My Mustang has been parked for a few years now, but it has a complete
Bassani exhaust system from headers to cats, x-pipe, and side-exit
mufflers. I really liked the sound a lot, but some people thought it
was too quiet. It was definitely quieter than Flowmasters, but I
couldn't live with Flowmasters in a daily driver.

Oh, there was NO ricer sounds or I would have sent the whole thing back!

Blue Gator
Old April 18th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:17:21 -0600, "Blue Mesteno"
> wrote:

>"Spike" > wrote
>> I was told that the X gives you more of a ricer sound.

>I don't know about "ricer" since NASCAR is using x-pipes. It's just a higher
>pitch more in line with an F1 type of sound. It's definitely not the deep
>throaty sound of an h-pipe through flowmasters. It's more of a growl. That's
>the only word I can think of to describe the difference. It definitely still
>sounds like a V-8 though, not a 4-banger with a turbo and the popoff valve
>set too high. reen neen neen neen neen Whistle!!!!!

As stated, "I was told" when I was asking about adding to my 66FB
which had a single exhaust with a transverse muffler behind a 289.
What i wanted was the soft understated rumble I had in my TransAM GTA
with the 5.7L TPI. Not a neighbor killer, but just enough that the cop
beside me knows I'm there, but isn't irritated by it....
--

Spike
w/Black Std Interior, A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok;
Old April 19th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Spike" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:17:21 -0600, "Blue Mesteno"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Spike" > wrote
>>> I was told that the X gives you more of a ricer sound.

>>I don't know about "ricer" since NASCAR is using x-pipes. It's just a
>>higher
>>pitch more in line with an F1 type of sound. It's definitely not the deep
>>throaty sound of an h-pipe through flowmasters. It's more of a growl.
>>That's
>>the only word I can think of to describe the difference. It definitely
>>still
>>sounds like a V-8 though, not a 4-banger with a turbo and the popoff valve
>>set too high. reen neen neen neen neen Whistle!!!!!

> As stated, "I was told" when I was asking about adding to my 66FB
> which had a single exhaust with a transverse muffler behind a 289.
> What i wanted was the soft understated rumble I had in my TransAM GTA
> with the 5.7L TPI. Not a neighbor killer, but just enough that the cop
> beside me knows I'm there, but isn't irritated by it....

That is a fine line! I would just as soon the cop didn't even notice I
existed. I much prefer all go, little show and absolutely as little noise
as possible.

Old April 19th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:58:16 GMT, "My Names Nobody" >
wrote:

>"Spike" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:17:21 -0600, "Blue Mesteno"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>"Spike" > wrote
>>>
>>>I don't know about "ricer" since NASCAR is using x-pipes. It's just a
>>>higher
>>>pitch more in line with an F1 type of sound. It's definitely not the deep
>>>throaty sound of an h-pipe through flowmasters. It's more of a growl.
>>>That's
>>>the only word I can think of to describe the difference. It definitely
>>>still
>>>sounds like a V-8 though, not a 4-banger with a turbo and the popoff valve
>>>set too high. reen neen neen neen neen Whistle!!!!!

>> As stated, "I was told" when I was asking about adding to my 66FB
>> which had a single exhaust with a transverse muffler behind a 289.
>> What i wanted was the soft understated rumble I had in my TransAM GTA
>> with the 5.7L TPI. Not a neighbor killer, but just enough that the cop
>> beside me knows I'm there, but isn't irritated by it....

>That is a fine line! I would just as soon the cop didn't even notice I
>existed. I much prefer all go, little show and absolutely as little noise
>as possible.

My TransAM was very understated. Great car though. More than once
while cruising down the highway punch it for passing and break
traction at around 60 mph (came with AOD - only trans available in
91). Essentially a 'vette in different clothing. My Mustang is very
stock looking. runs pretty good, but I probably need to change the
gears (or maybe rebuild the C4 tranny). It's just a LOT louder than my
TransAm was.

Old April 20th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

thanks for all the info, i think im going to go with the h pipe. i
want to annoy the **** out of that cop next to me, lol

Old April 20th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"5.0 MUSCLE" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> thanks for all the info, i think im going to go with the h pipe. i
> want to annoy the **** out of that cop next to me, lol

You are welcome.
I learned my lesson long ago. Even revved my way too loud engine while in a
tunnel with two city motorcycle cops before, they really didn't like that,
kept me on the side of the road screwing with me for almost an hour. That
and way too many other loud exhaust system related problems, I finally
learned my lesson.
After enough tickets you deserve, and being pulled over just because your
loud exhaust one time too many, you too will learn to appreciate as quite of
an exhaust system as you can get...

Good luck.

Old April 20th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On 19 Apr 2006 17:25:52 -0700, "5.0 MUSCLE"
> wrote:

>thanks for all the info, i think im going to go with the h pipe. i
>want to annoy the **** out of that cop next to me, lol

Where abouts are you? I may still have a few friends on a force near
you with nothing better to do on a slow day.... :0)

Old April 23rd 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

haha, thanks man