new JEEP owner

Old September 6th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Zelix

Default new JEEP owner

I just got a 97 Jeep Wrangler. just saying Hi to the group.

o||||||o

Old September 6th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
griffin

Welcome!

. ..

Old September 6th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_5_]

Congrats on the new-to-you 97 TJ...and welcome! The '97 was the first
year of the TJ so there were a couple of minor bugs to be worked out by
Jeep. I'm sure yours, by now, has had them all fixed, but this is a good
place to hang out if they were not. Tell us about your Jeep...lifted?
motor? transmission? mods?

tw

Old September 6th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Zelix

"twaldron" > wrote in message
> Congrats on the new-to-you 97 TJ...and welcome! The '97 was the first
> year of the TJ so there were a couple of minor bugs to be worked out by
> Jeep. I'm sure yours, by now, has had them all fixed, but this is a good
> place to hang out if they were not. Tell us about your Jeep...lifted?
> motor? transmission? mods?
>
> tw

It's automatic with 6-cylinder & hardtop with a 2 inch lift. I'm curious as
to what the minor bugs are. I've just got it so I'd like to make sure I
catch them and fix them.

o||||||o

Old September 6th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Zelix

"griffin" > wrote in message
> Welcome!

thanks

Old September 6th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_5_]

Zelix wrote:
> "griffin" > wrote in message
>
>>Welcome!

> thanks

Oh, yeah...don't get involved in the spamming war or you'll end up
getting PLONKED with the rest of those bozos. It's been a relatively
peaceful NG until about a year ago when one of our regulars brought in
his family of idjits. Use your filters to remove the offenders and it's
actually pretty quiet in here. Might take some time to get them all.

tw
Old September 6th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
twaldron[_5_]

Zelix wrote:

> "twaldron" > wrote in message
>
>>Congrats on the new-to-you 97 TJ...and welcome! The '97 was the first
>>year of the TJ so there were a couple of minor bugs to be worked out by
>>Jeep. I'm sure yours, by now, has had them all fixed, but this is a good
>>place to hang out if they were not. Tell us about your Jeep...lifted?
>>motor? transmission? mods?
>>
>>tw

> It's automatic with 6-cylinder & hardtop with a 2 inch lift. I'm curious as
> to what the minor bugs are. I've just got it so I'd like to make sure I
> catch them and fix them.

> o||||||o

2" spacer or spring lift? As far as bugs, it's been 10 years so I'm a
little fuzzy. I went from a '90 to a '99 so I didn't keep up with the 97
issues, but as I recall they were minor things. Fitment, cracking
headers (which carried on for a few years), exhaust manifold heat shield
was missing....I'm sure more 97'ers can chime in.

tw
Old September 6th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Zelix

"twaldron" > wrote in message
> Zelix wrote:
>
>> "twaldron" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Congrats on the new-to-you 97 TJ...and welcome! The '97 was the first
>>>year of the TJ so there were a couple of minor bugs to be worked out by
>>>Jeep. I'm sure yours, by now, has had them all fixed, but this is a good
>>>place to hang out if they were not. Tell us about your Jeep...lifted?
>>>motor? transmission? mods?
>>>
>>>tw

>> It's automatic with 6-cylinder & hardtop with a 2 inch lift. I'm curious
>> as to what the minor bugs are. I've just got it so I'd like to make sure
>> I catch them and fix them.

>> o||||||o
>>

> 2" spacer or spring lift? As far as bugs, it's been 10 years so I'm a
> little fuzzy. I went from a '90 to a '99 so I didn't keep up with the 97
> issues, but as I recall they were minor things. Fitment, cracking headers
> (which carried on for a few years), exhaust manifold heat shield was
> missing....I'm sure more 97'ers can chime in.
>
> tw

It's not a body lift from what my cousin said. The plastic fender thingys
have chalked a bit. I repainted them with a dark green plastic for now. they
look really cheesy. I want to get some touch up paint to paint them to match
the rest of the JEEP.
Here's a picture of it.
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1217/newjeep1co9.jpg
http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ewjeep1co9.jpg

Old September 6th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Zelix

"twaldron" > wrote in message
> Zelix wrote:
>> "griffin" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Welcome!

>> thanks

> Oh, yeah...don't get involved in the spamming war or you'll end up getting
> PLONKED with the rest of those bozos. It's been a relatively peaceful NG
> until about a year ago when one of our regulars brought in his family of
> idjits. Use your filters to remove the offenders and it's actually pretty
> quiet in here. Might take some time to get them all.
>
> tw

I was just checking that out. It's all rather ridiculous to say the least.

Old September 6th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jon[_4_]

On Sep 6, 7:24 am, "Zelix" <nacchisrevenge@[remove
this:nospam]yahoo.com> wrote:
> "twaldron" > wrote in message

> > Zelix wrote:

> >> "twaldron" > wrote in message

> >> It's automatic with 6-cylinder & hardtop with a 2 inch lift. I'm curious
> >> as to what the minor bugs are. I've just got it so I'd like to make sure
> >> I catch them and fix them.

> >> o||||||o

> > 2" spacer or spring lift? As far as bugs, it's been 10 years so I'm a
> > little fuzzy. I went from a '90 to a '99 so I didn't keep up with the 97
> > issues, but as I recall they were minor things. Fitment, cracking headers
> > (which carried on for a few years), exhaust manifold heat shield was
> > missing....I'm sure more 97'ers can chime in.

> > tw

> It's not a body lift from what my cousin said. The plastic fender thingys
> have chalked a bit. I repainted them with a dark green plastic for now. they
> look really cheesy. I want to get some touch up paint to paint them to match
> the rest of the JEEP.
> Here's a picture of it.http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1...wjeep1co9.jpg- Hide quoted text -

That's a nice, clean machine --

Regarding the fender flares: If you really want the flares to match,
you need to track down the flares from a later model TJ. I don't know
the year or option package breakdown, but Jeep fitted later TJs with
painted flares -- made of more rigid material and without the
texture. People remove them all the time for wider aftermarket flares
-- so you can dig up a full set for cheap money.

For what it's worth -- I've had great results with small painted areas
using a PreVal spray unit with automotive-quality paint & thinners.
Quick, easy, minimal clean-up (or none if you choose), and those spray
units are dirt cheap -- Home Depot even stocks them now.

Jon

New Jeep Owner [email protected] Jeep 6 August 8th 07 07:37 PM
New Jeep Cherokee Owner, Advice Please. Jay Jeep 10 August 25th 06 04:36 AM
new Jeep owner with questions [email protected] Jeep 5 February 10th 06 05:35 PM
New Jeep Owner Lovs2fly Jeep 4 November 30th 05 12:17 AM
New Jeep owner Firebird Jeep 10 February 9th 05 03:17 PM