Class Action Lawsuit against Jeep for 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees

Old December 8th 04, 04:02 PM
Brian Foster

"bllsht" > wrote in message
> In message >, "Brian Foster" wrote:
>
>>My brakes on my 02 GC were squeaking terribly @ 40,000 miles. I took to
>>Just
>>Brakes and got re-lined. Now @ 42,000 they are squeaking again. I brought
>>it
>>back to JB and they show me a Jeep Service Bulletin for all 99-02 WJ/WG/GC
>>to put a kit on that includes new rotors and calipers ($600). I brought
>>the
>>car into the dealer (for a gas tank recall) and asked them about the
>>entire
>>issue. They said it was crap, blamed just brakes for doing bad work/using
>>cheap pads said they new nothing about a recall or problem with
>>rotors/calipers.

> It was a TSB, not a recall, and it didn't address squeaking. It was about
> pulsation.

I never said it was a recall, (I'm familiar with Jeep & recalls) it was a
service bulliten. The brake company said it should be a recall but that Jeep
is unwilling to spend the money to recall all the cars involved and would
rather pay off the people who complain. Does that sound believable to you?

>>So I just e-mailed Jeep.com with my complaint. We'll see where this goes.
>>hate a company that will not stand behind their product. Maybe this is the
>>first and last Jeep I own.

> First they nail you for a reline, then show you a totally unrelated
> bulletin 2k
> miles later when you have the same problem. Instead of stepping up and
> taking
> care of it, they blame Jeep and you buy it. Funny they didn't mention the
> bulletin on your first visit when they took your money, eh?

Yes they did mention it and told me it was about a $600 job. They said I may
or may not need it.

> I have a feeling you got what you paid for.

Maybe that's the case with the vehicle too. Why are you so quick to crap on
JB and so defensive about Jeep? It seems to me like enough jeep vehicles of
this type have had problems with brakes that maybe there is a problem with
them. Also I've had about 4-5 recalls on this vehicle. The latest one was a
gas tank valve. They had to replace the entire tank to take care of it.

> Just Brakes. LOL

r.com...

Old December 8th 04, 05:50 PM
IsellJeeps

independent dealer means not a freanchise like Jeep Dodge Ford.... Sprauer
Motorsports is my car lot and I am independent

--
Jarod Sprauer
www.sprauermotorsports.com

"Brian Foster" > wrote in message
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by independent dealer. Are all
> dealers independent or are some owned by the car companies?
> If the car companies do not own the dealers then they are very dependant

on
> the dealer to provide good service or their brand name will not be worth
> crap.
>
> I'm glad I didn't try it myself because I would of done it wrong or worse

if

Old December 8th 04, 07:08 PM
marko

SoK66 wrote:
> I'm not sure about the caliper alignment, but the one's they installed are
> of a newer design. When I complained about it my dealer Service Manager took
> it in immediately and swapped them out. He said it's a campaign and covered
> by a DC TSB. (Not sure the number). I think '02 MY was the change point for
> the newer caliper design for WJs, not sure.

Newer design, caliper is different. Original 1999 - 05/2002 pads are not
compatible with TSB calipers. Nick enlightened me (after I had wasted
the TSB rotors as well) that newer design should dissipate heat more evenly.

And a comment about parts in Europe: I was quoted 247EUR for mopar
metallic front pad set that fits the TSB calipers. Local jeep dealer
(Helsinki) did not have that many spare parts at hand for WJs, but by
miracle new mopar rotors and pads are availabe :-)
By comparison Stillen pad set is roughly 90USD, mopar ones less. I did
not dare to ask quote on warping mopar rotors...

Marko
Old December 8th 04, 10:11 PM
Joseph P

IsellJeeps wrote:
| independent dealer means not a freanchise like Jeep Dodge
| Ford.... Sprauer Motorsports is my car lot and I am independent
|

| "Brian Foster" > wrote in message
|| I'm not sure I understand what you mean by independent dealer.
|| Are all dealers independent or are some owned by the car
|| companies?
|| If the car companies do not own the dealers then they are very
|| dependant on the dealer to provide good service or their brand
|| name will not be worth crap.
|| I'm glad I didn't try it myself because I would of done it wrong
|| or worse if there is a problem with the brakes, both the dealer
|| and jeep would of said tough luck, you screwed em up, now it's
|| your problem. You fix it.
|| "Joseph P" > wrote in message
|| om...
||| Jeep stands by their vehicles, I can't help what an independant
||| dealer will
||| (or will not) do. Of course, that is what you get for going to
||| a place called "just brakes." Next try, try "Do-it Yourself."
||| --
||| Disclaimer: A large chunk of the preceding was, in its entirety,
||| written by the wisest of mules.
||| http://www.****inggoogleit.com/
||| JEGP
||| NC, USA
||| MSN:JEGP AOL:JEGP

Even if it a dealership that sells mainly one brand, such as a
Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler dealership, they are not owned by DCX, the company is
owned by some guy that makes a bunch of money selling cars. They just go
through a certification process, much like buying a franshised restaurant,
such as McDonald's or Applebee's.

The "fice star" dealer thing is different, that is a mechanic/shop
certification. Most dealerships, at least where I am from, the shop and the
sales sides of the dealership are two different companies, although the
owner may be the same guy.

Old December 9th 04, 04:11 AM
Lon

Brian Foster proclaimed:

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by independent dealer. Are all
> dealers independent or are some owned by the car companies?

Does anyone here know of *any* dealer that is owned by a manufacturer?
I can remember when Porsche and a coupla others used to be somewhat
fussy about which dealers they would allow to carry a franchise, but
I've never seen a manufacturer owned dealer... not saying there
isn't any, just never heard of one except back when Sears Roebuck sold
cars by mail order [with or without accompanying bride].

> If the car companies do not own the dealers then they are very dependant on
> the dealer to provide good service or their brand name will not be worth
> crap.

Some auto manufacturers have been known to pull a franchise, the only
case I ever heard of was the Porsche dealer in Omaha, but that dealer
managed to get the franchise back by hiring and stocking parts a bit
better.

The manufacturer wants the dealers to buy cars...whether or not the
dealer sells them to you or anyone else is beyond the scope of
the manufacturer's dollars.

> I'm glad I didn't try it myself because I would of done it wrong or worse if
> there is a problem with the brakes, both the dealer and jeep would of said
> tough luck, you screwed em up, now it's your problem. You fix it.

If you had your brakes serviced by one company, how on earth does your
mind work that you consider this *not* to be the fault of that brake
company?

PS. Midas Mufflers and AAMCO transmissions aren't covered by your Jeep
warranty either.

Old December 9th 04, 04:21 AM
bllsht

In message >, "Brian Foster" wrote:

>"bllsht" > wrote in message
.. .
>> In message >, "Brian Foster" wrote:
>>
>>>My brakes on my 02 GC were squeaking terribly @ 40,000 miles. I took to
>>>Just
>>>Brakes and got re-lined. Now @ 42,000 they are squeaking again. I brought
>>>it
>>>back to JB and they show me a Jeep Service Bulletin for all 99-02 WJ/WG/GC
>>>to put a kit on that includes new rotors and calipers ($600). I brought
>>>the
>>>car into the dealer (for a gas tank recall) and asked them about the
>>>entire
>>>issue. They said it was crap, blamed just brakes for doing bad work/using
>>>cheap pads said they new nothing about a recall or problem with
>>>rotors/calipers.

>> It was a TSB, not a recall, and it didn't address squeaking. It was about
>> pulsation.

>I never said it was a recall, (I'm familiar with Jeep & recalls) it was a
>service bulliten. The brake company said it should be a recall but that Jeep
>is unwilling to spend the money to recall all the cars involved and would
>rather pay off the people who complain. Does that sound believable to you?

Sure it does. It's called business, and if you think DC is the only company
that tries to save a buck, you're being naive.

>>>So I just e-mailed Jeep.com with my complaint. We'll see where this goes.
>>>hate a company that will not stand behind their product. Maybe this is the
>>>first and last Jeep I own.

>> First they nail you for a reline, then show you a totally unrelated
>> bulletin 2k
>> miles later when you have the same problem. Instead of stepping up and
>> taking
>> care of it, they blame Jeep and you buy it. Funny they didn't mention the
>> bulletin on your first visit when they took your money, eh?

>Yes they did mention it and told me it was about a $600 job. They said I may
>or may not need it.

You either need it or you don't. If they can't tell, I wouldn't let them touch
my car.

I can tell you that if your only complaint was squeaking, then you don't need
it, and JB needs to step up and make it right.

>> I have a feeling you got what you paid for.

>Maybe that's the case with the vehicle too. Why are you so quick to crap on
>JB and so defensive about Jeep?

Not being defensive, I'd just like to see blame put where it belongs. JB did a
brake job, and now it's doing the same thing it was doing before they worked on
it, yet you're quick to blame Jeep, and pointing out TSBs that don't even apply.

>It seems to me like enough jeep vehicles of
>this type have had problems with brakes that maybe there is a problem with
>them. Also I've had about 4-5 recalls on this vehicle. The latest one was a
>gas tank valve. They had to replace the entire tank to take care of it.

Which has what to do with squeaking brakes exactly?

>> Just Brakes. LOL

. rr.com...

Old December 9th 04, 02:47 PM
Brian Foster

"Lon" > wrote in message
> Brian Foster proclaimed:
>
>> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by independent dealer. Are all
>> dealers independent or are some owned by the car companies?

> Does anyone here know of *any* dealer that is owned by a manufacturer?
> I can remember when Porsche and a coupla others used to be somewhat
> fussy about which dealers they would allow to carry a franchise, but
> I've never seen a manufacturer owned dealer... not saying there
> isn't any, just never heard of one except back when Sears Roebuck sold
> cars by mail order [with or without accompanying bride].
>
>> If the car companies do not own the dealers then they are very dependant
>> on the dealer to provide good service or their brand name will not be
>> worth crap.

> Some auto manufacturers have been known to pull a franchise, the only
> case I ever heard of was the Porsche dealer in Omaha, but that dealer
> managed to get the franchise back by hiring and stocking parts a bit
> better.
>
> The manufacturer wants the dealers to buy cars...whether or not the
> dealer sells them to you or anyone else is beyond the scope of
> the manufacturer's dollars.
>

>> I'm glad I didn't try it myself because I would of done it wrong or worse
>> if there is a problem with the brakes, both the dealer and jeep would of
>> said tough luck, you screwed em up, now it's your problem. You fix it.

> If you had your brakes serviced by one company, how on earth does your
> mind work that you consider this *not* to be the fault of that brake
> company?

Legit question: When I took my car back to JB they told me they could make
the brakes stop squeaking but to do so they would need to buy the "kit" from
Jeep dealer (approx$600) that was mentioned on the service bulliten. They
told me that the calipers and rotors on my car were not matched for the
vehicle or that they were just bad (warped) and Jeep knows about it and
that's why they have a service bulliten. They went on to explain that not
every car experinces the problems with the brakes but so many do that Jeep
put out the service bulliten and they know they have a problem with these
brakes on these vehicles.

So I want Jeep to supply the parts "Kit" so I can get this done right. Jeep
dealer says they don't know anything about brake problems on my model/year
car, so that's when I start reading in the group and find out there are lots
of problems with brakes on this model/year vehicle and some people are
getting the problem fixed free.

And now you know how my mind works. Scary, isn't it?

Old December 9th 04, 02:48 PM
Brian Foster

Old December 10th 04, 12:50 PM
Joseph P

Brian Foster wrote:
| "Lon" > wrote in message
|| Brian Foster proclaimed:
||| I'm not sure I understand what you mean by independent dealer.
||| Are all dealers independent or are some owned by the car
||| companies?
|| Does anyone here know of *any* dealer that is owned by a
|| manufacturer? I can remember when Porsche and a coupla others
|| used to be somewhat fussy about which dealers they would allow
|| to carry a franchise, but I've never seen a manufacturer owned
|| dealer... not saying there isn't any, just never heard of one
|| except back when Sears Roebuck sold cars by mail order [with
|| or without accompanying bride].
||| If the car companies do not own the dealers then they are very
||| dependant on the dealer to provide good service or their brand
||| name will not be worth crap.
|| Some auto manufacturers have been known to pull a franchise,
|| the only case I ever heard of was the Porsche dealer in Omaha,
|| but that dealer managed to get the franchise back by hiring
|| and stocking parts a bit better.
|| The manufacturer wants the dealers to buy cars...whether or
|| not the dealer sells them to you or anyone else is beyond the
|| scope of the manufacturer's dollars.
||| I'm glad I didn't try it myself because I would of done it
||| wrong or worse if there is a problem with the brakes, both the
||| dealer and jeep would of said tough luck, you screwed em up,
||| now it's your problem. You fix it.
|| If you had your brakes serviced by one company, how on earth
|| does your mind work that you consider this *not* to be the
|| fault of that brake company?
|
| Legit question: When I took my car back to JB they told me they
| could make the brakes stop squeaking but to do so they would need
| to buy the "kit" from Jeep dealer (approx$600) that was mentioned
| on the service bulliten. They told me that the calipers and
| rotors on my car were not matched for the vehicle or that they
| were just bad (warped) and Jeep knows about it and that's why
| they have a service bulliten. They went on to explain that not
| every car experinces the problems with the brakes but so many do
| that Jeep put out the service bulliten and they know they have a
| problem with these brakes on these vehicles.
|
| So I want Jeep to supply the parts "Kit" so I can get this done
| right. Jeep dealer says they don't know anything about brake
| problems on my model/year car, so that's when I start reading in
| the group and find out there are lots of problems with brakes on
| this model/year vehicle and some people are getting the problem
| fixed free.
|
| And now you know how my mind works. Scary, isn't it?
|| PS. Midas Mufflers and AAMCO transmissions aren't covered by
|| your Jeep warranty either.

They probably used the wrong rotors/pads for your GC, so now they are trying
to cover it up. There are two different kind of rotors, one kind is
machined (CNC) and the other is cast. I went through this on my girl
friend's Cherokee, a 99, which has different brakes than my Wrangler, which
has the same brakes as my parent's 99 GC. Lets keep it simple:

Cherokee : CNC machined (about $90 a rotor, $180 for both)
Wrangler: Cast ($25 or so)
GC: Cast ($25 or so)

All the same year.

The cast rotors are cheap, about $25, but I always have to check when I go
to Autozone or wherever to get them, b/c they usually give me the wrong
rotors. Same deal for my girl's Cherokee, I almost always get the wrong
rotors, and then IU have to say "Hey, dummy, fix your computer, these are
not the rotors." I actually made some guy break open a set of tools and a
jack at the store, where I took off the driver's front wheel and took the
rotor inside to him. He refused to believe me...."My computer has never
been wrong..."

So, I say again, this is what you get for messing with a place called Just
Brakes. Get your lazy ass to autozone, pay the $$$ in parts, and do it
yourself. I bet your gf could do it...I make mine change her own oil and
brake pads...at least, before her shoulder surgery I did...not so much
anymore.