Beetle running rough

Old July 1st 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Beetle running rough

My stepdaughter's beetle, a 1999 with a 2.0, is intermittently
missing, then smoothing out, then missing again, whether at idle or
highway speed. I'm an old Chevrolet man and know nothing re
Volkswagens, so I told her to take it to her local dealer. They
proposed changing the plugs, wires and coil to the tune of $500.00.
Seems unlikely to me that all three would need changing at the same
time, plus too expensive to boot. I had her bring it home to me but,
after looking under the hood this morning for the first time, I'm
wondering if I should have let the dealership do their thing. Can
anyong advise as to what would most likely cause the miss and if the
dealser's price quote was within reason? Also, is it possible to
change the plugs without removing the intake?
Thanks

Old July 1st 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

What is the mileage on this NB?
Did the engine check light come on at all?
Need to check the DTCs with a vag-com tool.
I have not worked on a NB yet but the 2.0 liters will allow you to change
the spark plugs without disassembling the intake manifold, but it is tricky
since you don't want to destroy the wires. You are supposed to use a tool
to pull/push the spark plug wires.

BTW is your stepdaughter using the mid-grade gas? I just don't care for
that stuff!

My experience...............
Usually when the ign coil (ign transformer) goes out there are serious
running problems, but it may not set a DTC!
Spark Plugs and wires are very likely but they usually set a DTC!

The dealer wants to do a shotgun repair and hopes that it will solve her
problem.
Plugs are probably $48 for all 4
Ign Transformer is probably $125
Plug wires are probably $120 for the set from the dealer
So parts are running around $300 so the labor is probably around $200.

Did the dealer break down the costs to you or your S-Daughter?

I vote you have her change the fuel she is using and maybe put in a can of
SeaFoam for $7 and see what that does.

JMHO
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old July 3rd 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Yep, why take a shot and only replace 1 item at a time which adds labor
cost. Just do it all at onetime. $500 sounds about right.

Rough running moparmike 4x4 3 March 24th 06 10:42 PM
rough running 93 zj 4.0l atx MudPuppy76 Jeep 4 August 28th 05 07:29 PM
Rough running cj Big Don Jeep 3 March 12th 05 04:22 PM
Running Rough... VW Golf Cart VW water cooled 13 January 5th 05 12:39 PM
Rough running T T Lee Jordan Audi 2 August 1st 04 11:09 AM